Penalty for ignoring rules of etiquette

Quizzical

Visit site
Please could you let me know if there is a penalty for persistently ignoring the etiquette rules. I was recently playing in a Texas Scramble competition. Throughout the round, someone persisted in talking when I or others were playing our shots. On a number of occasions, I asked them to stop talking in order that I could play. At one stage, the person said “well, we won’t be playing that ball” after I topped my shot because they spoke whilst I was swinging my club to strike the ball. On another occasion, their mobile rang. I found the whole thing extremely stressful. I would be interested to hear recommendations on how to handle a situation such as this.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Rules on Etiquette were removed form the Rule Book in January 2019 other than

1.2 Standards of Player Conduct
a. Conduct Expected of All Players
All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:
• Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.
• Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.
• Taking good care of the course – for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course.
There is no penalty under the Rules for failing to act in this way, except that the Committee may disqualify a player for acting contrary to the spirit of the game if it finds that the player has committed serious misconduct.
Penalties other than disqualification may be imposed for player misconduct only if those penalties are adopted as part of a Code of Conduct under Rule 1.2b.

For there to be full rules on etiquette your club has to have a Code of Conduct in which they lay down the rules and penalties for failing to abide by them.

b. Code of Conduct
The Committee may set its own standards of player conduct in a Code of Conduct adopted as a Local Rule.
• The Code may include penalties for breach of its standards, such as a one-stroke penalty or the general penalty.
• The Committee may also disqualify a player for serious misconduct in failing to meet the Code’s standards.

However as per Traminator I cannot see how this could be applied to a member of your own team.

Quizzical

Visit site
The Rules on Etiquette were removed form the Rule Book in January 2019 other than

1.2 Standards of Player Conduct
a. Conduct Expected of All Players
All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:
• Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.
• Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.
• Taking good care of the course – for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course.
There is no penalty under the Rules for failing to act in this way, except that the Committee may disqualify a player for acting contrary to the spirit of the game if it finds that the player has committed serious misconduct.
Penalties other than disqualification may be imposed for player misconduct only if those penalties are adopted as part of a Code of Conduct under Rule 1.2b.

For there to be full rules on etiquette your club has to have a Code of Conduct in which they lay down the rules and penalties for failing to abide by them.

b. Code of Conduct
The Committee may set its own standards of player conduct in a Code of Conduct adopted as a Local Rule.
• The Code may include penalties for breach of its standards, such as a one-stroke penalty or the general penalty.
• The Committee may also disqualify a player for serious misconduct in failing to meet the Code’s standards.

However as per Traminator I cannot see how this could be applied to a member of your own team.

So what can be done if I don’t yet the experience/concentration to ignore the distraction?
Interesting question... ?

A player can be disqualified for serious misconduct.

Imagine phoning the office from the 7th fairway to complain about a player's constant breach of etiquette...

"Hello manager, yes he keeps putting me off..."

"OK who is it?"

"My team member"
??

Thanks! I’ll bear that in mind for next time. I guess that it’s either that or abandoning the match

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Borrow a small child to play practice rounds with and learn to ignore it ?.
It's something thats never bothered me for whatever reason so I'm pretty sure I'm not the best to give advice. But there are a few options as I see it, if the situation is honestly extremely stressful.

1. After asking nicely. Ask with a bit more force. "Will you shut, up of f off" should get the point across.

2. Walk in. Golf should be fun. If it's not and the guy won't stop. Why waste your time doing something stressful.

3. Give him a taste of his own medicine. Now two wrongs don't make a right, and this does have the potential to escalate quickly, but....
Talk when he's swinging, drop a ball so it rolls near him when swinging, rattle round in your bag, throw tees. Maybe then the penny will drop.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I recall a couple of fellow competitors in a medal once would start a story/conversation between green and tee. I was up first (ready golf) and they kept chuntering on, and I found my mind following the conversation. So I stepped away from the ball, faced them and did practise swings until they finished. Then went back and hit the shot. Only needed to do it twice. There wasn't any malice in it, just a bit of lack of awareness.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Please could you let me know if there is a penalty for persistently ignoring the etiquette rules. I was recently playing in a Texas Scramble competition. Throughout the round, someone persisted in talking when I or others were playing our shots. On a number of occasions, I asked them to stop talking in order that I could play. At one stage, the person said “well, we won’t be playing that ball” after I topped my shot because they spoke whilst I was swinging my club to strike the ball. On another occasion, their mobile rang. I found the whole thing extremely stressful. I would be interested to hear recommendations on how to handle a situation such as this.

I find that a short, sharp comment along the lines of "would you kindly shut the xxxx up" works a treat.
My mate Ray used to chatter constantly on the greens, even whilst I was preparing to putt.
I used the above a couple of times on him, and it has now finally sunk in that he has to keep his trap shut, as I do when he is about to putt.
You're welcome by the way.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I find that a short, sharp comment along the lines of "would you kindly shut the xxxx up" works a treat.
My mate Ray used to chatter constantly on the greens, even whilst I was preparing to putt.
I used the above a couple of times on him, and it has now finally sunk in that he has to keep his trap shut, as I do when he is about to putt.
You're welcome by the way.

Nice guy though, is (no gimmees) Ray

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Try and avoid being so sensitive? Seriously, try concentrating, and you won't notice what other people do.

This is why busy ranges with kids, groups of lads etc... are great for practice. You learn to just zone out and focus on your own thing.

The best things you can really do are:

1. choose who you play with, I don't think any of us here are playing for a living, so make sure its fun when you do play.
2. If you get caught up with someone like this, be a bit more forceful. You obviously don't want to start a fight on the course, but if asking politely doesn't work, be a bit more blunt. Also make sure you ask the right thing - "Please can you stop talking whilst I take this shot?" vs "Please can you not talk whilst others are playing, it's considered bad etiquette?" Yes it's subtle but if you asked them to be quiet for one shot and they did, they have complied, and might be unaware enough to not think about it again on other shots, if you mention its considered bad form generally this is a different message.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The fact that this was a team mate is very bizarre. He should be helping you, not hindering. He sounds like a prat, don't play with him again.

In terms of if this was general play, I would step away from my shot each time he talked. Do it repeatedly and he should get the message. If he doesn't just flat out ask him to be quiet whilst people are taking their shot, that is basic stuff. If he keeps on doing it then keep backing away, get through the round and make sure you never have to play with him again. This is rare, very rare. Don't think this is the norm.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he’s in a drawn team and dosnt know the others it can be difficult for an inexperienced player.
This happened once to me where one player would just not comply with several requests to “shut your trap”
So at the 9 th green one player said “ good luck trying to win in a three ball I can’t put up with him talking anymore.”
He walked away.
I was quite amused it should never get that serious in a scramble.
The talkative one actually said “ what’s wrong with him.”?
You have the right to ask for quiet , but you might not get it!
What you do is in your hands.

Swango1980

Visit site
Perhaps play in another team?
not sure Texas scramble is recognised by ROG so no rules anyway.
Cheaters charter
Probably a bit of an over-generalisation there. Otherwise, what would be stopping teams just throwing their best ball another 50 yards up the fairway, and making up their scores as they go along :)

As for the OP, it would be somewhat amusing for a player to demand a penalty to his own score due to his team mates lack of etiquette.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably a bit of an over-generalisation there. Otherwise, what would be stopping teams just throwing their best ball another 50 yards up the fairway, and making up their scores as they go along :)

As for the OP, it would be somewhat amusing for a player to demand a penalty to his own score due to his team mates lack of etiquette.

I'm pretty sure that already happens on the odd occasion...