Peleton.. training bikes

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s hard to recommend because they provide different things. Generally Peloton suits people who are looking for a gym experience in their home, smart trainers suit cyclists.

I wouldn’t buy a Peloton v1 bike because they are just manual resistance “dumb” spin bikes. The v2 are better as they’re smart resistance controlled. But they’re still spin bikes rather than bicycles.

I have a Wahoo Kickr smart trainer and it’s brilliant. Even the Mrs likes it and she’s under the peer pressure with her pals being Peloton fanatics.

So ultimately it’s down to what you or they want. Both very good but both for different types of user.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two months into Peloton ownership and loving it. I think the bike is superb quality and the range of classes well worth the £39 monthly fee. Remember there's heaps more than just cycling classes available - not that I've used them yet. I've pretty much ridden every day and do a mix of live and recorded classes. The power zone is, I think, an excellent tool and easy to use. Do a 20 min FTP test and then classes are tailored to your personal zones at your current fitness levels.

I have previously used a turbo although not a smart trainer and would rather use the Peloton without doubt.

I bought the original bike on Facebook marketplace for £750.

Love it.

jmcp

Visit site
Thanks for the updates, most helpful. I will keep an eye on marketplace as both Amanda and PokerJoker have picked up Peleton bikes from it. Also thanks to Jimaroid as I had a look online at the v1 and v2 Peleton bikes and I thought the only difference was the larger and rotating screen, didn’t realise the resistance was also “smart”.

I‘ve also been reading about the Stages SB20 smart bike as it has similar technology built in that my PowerTap hubs use but, I need to remember it’s primarily my daughters bike and not mines as she is not a cyclist, she is just looking for a more interactive and interesting way to exercise. Thanks.

Cheers, John

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The smart resistance seems a bit of a gimmick to me. The instructor tells you what resistance range and in recorded classes the range shows on screen. The rotating screen would be useful for other forms of class but you can cast to the TV anyhow...

Oh and the recorded classes also give you the playlist which I find really useful as my enjoyment is greater if I like the tracks played.

jmcp

Visit site
The smart resistance seems a bit of a gimmick to me. The instructor tells you what resistance range and in recorded classes the range shows on screen. The rotating screen would be useful for other forms of class but you can cast to the TV anyhow...

Oh and the recorded classes also give you the playlist which I find really useful as my enjoyment is greater if I like the tracks played.

For the £39 per month subscription, does that cover everything or is there anything else that is an additional cost ? Thanks.

Cheers, John

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
£2,000 Quid and £39 a month for an exercise bike workout....

That sounds like silly money to me. I know this won't go down well but what a rip off, I expect most of them will end up as either clothes hangers or on Gumtree after a year. OK, it's your hard earned money and you are at will to spend it on what you like, if you really like the latest fad then go for it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
For the £39 per month subscription, does that cover everything or is there anything else that is an additional cost ? Thanks.

Cheers, John

That's for everything John. The app is £12.99 I think but not sure what you don't get for that. I think it may be the live classes and the leaderboard...the latter I find very motivating!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
£2,000 Quid and £39 a month for an exercise bike workout....

That sounds like silly money to me. I know this won't go down well but what a rip off, I expect most of them will end up as either clothes hangers or on Gumtree after a year. OK, it's your hard earned money and you are at will to spend it on what you like, if you really like the latest fad then go for it.

Oh seriously why be so scathing. If it's not for you fine but no need to be such a flipping insulting killjoy.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I added up the cost of my setup it’d be quite alarming and make a Peloton look quite cheap. So here goes.

£3K bicycle (spare bike), £1k Wahoo Kickr, £2K Mac (spare laptop), £400 monitor and speakers. £30 fan. £20 smart plug. £5 recycled baby changing stand and marine ply as a stand. £6,455. That total is about the price of a very well specced but not top end new road bike.

Annual subscriptions to Zwift, Wahoo SYSTM (for Sufferfest) and Strava total me £299 per year.

All worth it to me.

Edit: Forgot the heart rate monitor (£40) and stupidly expensive bit of plastic to mount my phone to the bike (£53)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ooh I just tried to cast the Peloton screen to the TV in my gym (aka conservatory) and got it working straight away. So that now opens up the following classes: Strength, Cardio, Yoga, Stretching, Bootcamp and Meditation...not sure I'll do the last one but definitely lacking motivation to do strength work these days so hopefully a class setting will motivate me.

Anyway. This fad is 99 classes old so at 11am I'm scheduled to do my 100th and hoping for a live shout out and lots of high fives :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I added up the cost of my setup it’d be quite alarming and make a Peloton look quite cheap. So here goes.

£3K bicycle (spare bike), £1k Wahoo Kickr, £2K Mac (spare laptop), £400 monitor and speakers. £30 fan. £20 smart plug. £5 recycled baby changing stand and marine ply as a stand. £6,455. That total is about the price of a very well specced but not top end new road bike.

Annual subscriptions to Zwift, Wahoo SYSTM (for Sufferfest) and Strava total me £299 per year.

All worth it to me.

Edit: Forgot the heart rate monitor (£40) and stupidly expensive bit of plastic to mount my phone to the bike (£53)

Cool :cool:

I'm hoping to get out on my road bike more this Spring/Summer as improved strength should hopefully stop me being such a whimp when it's windy...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Peleton Bike+ ordered today, due for delivery at the end of the month. Thanks for all your input. Thanks.

Cheers, John

I hope your daughter enjoys it as much as I do! Husband thinks I've gone mad as yesterday I worked like a crazed woman - racing myself from the same class a week earlier. "Just slow down will you woman"!! I gradually reeled her in though and the victory was mine by 3 whole watts :)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
How are people getting on with there Peletons / turbo trainers….
Im looking to get one to try and get my fitness levels back up, Ive never felt right since having COVID (twice) but hopefully I can start getting my cardiovascular levels up to something half decent.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love my Peloton still. 250+ classes in and ride most days as there's such a selection of classes. It will be less as the weather improves and I get out on my bike, but the few times I've been out I can feel the benefit and improved fitness levels.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How are people getting on with there Peletons / turbo trainers….
Im looking to get one to try and get my fitness levels back up, Ive never felt right since having COVID (twice) but hopefully I can start getting my cardiovascular levels up to something half decent.

No change, reaffirmation that I still love my Wahoo Kickr. It’s the best cycling / fitness purchase I’ve ever made. Love it more than some bicycles I’ve had in the past. There are even times when I’m out on a outdoor ride in nice weather that I’m thinking to myself I’d prefer to be on the Wahoo because it’s so much better for training.

On Sunday I got a personal best on a local hill climb that’s been a nemesis for me for many years. In the last 14 months I’ve gone from vomiting half way up one that one hill climb to being able to include it as part of a 42km Strava route appropriately named the Seven Hills of Death. I’m proud of that especially because I had to stop training due to hernia and surgery 6 months ago. And that leads to a word of caution. I’m pretty sure the trainer was a major contributor to that hernia as I went a bit far with Wahoo’s / Sufferfest’s accompanying yoga programme. ?

I think it’s worth a health checkup with a GP or physio / personal trainer before anyone takes the plunge. I wish I had done that in retrospect even though I’m happy with my fitness again.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I supposeva cheaper alternative would be get a road bike, join a cycling club and get out on rides.

I know things have changed, but riding a trainer used to bore me senseless. Much more fun riding with others, be it racing our just our club training rides.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I supposeva cheaper alternative would be get a road bike, join a cycling club and get out on rides.

I know things have changed, but riding a trainer used to bore me senseless. Much more fun riding with others, be it racing our just our club training rides.

I'm a fair weather ride so the Peloton is very useful. I want to get out more though so the increased bike fitness should help there. I've been thinking about joining a cycling club but not sure I can keep up...yet! Might all depend on what I do golf-wise as feel the need for something new to occupy me where golf is currently failing.