Peleton.. training bikes

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I m not someone who goes to the gym. I started going to the office gym this year and signed up to a PT. However with Covid, all that disappeared.
Some friends and colleagues have 'invested' in a Peleton. I ventured to look at it, but it needs a small fortune ( > 2 grand). anyone using a cheaper alternative?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Someone I know just bought a cheaper spinning bike and then uses the Peleton app which is apparently really good and works out much cheaper.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The wife bought one with the iFit system. Plug a tablet in with the app loaded and it gives options for pre programmed courses where it adjusts the resistance. You can also race TdF stages on it where the tablet acts as a video of the course and the program adjusts the resistance for hills etc. Its quite smart, although I wouldn't tell her that after spending a grand on it ?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Peleton are stupidly expensive. If you want a fixed clever bike, look at the Wattbike Atom. Alternatively, buy an actual bike and smart trainer. then 13quid a month membership to Zwift.

not too much differernce ... Atom at 1500 and Pelton at 2k. My actual bike is a Carerra that i got for <300..

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just bought a smart trainer, a Tacx Flow, costing about £250. Am now addicted to Zwift - quite realistic and, for me, better than spinning like Peloton, or just pedalling without any interaction.
I had a bike already so just hooked that up to the trainer. Still on the 1m free Zwift trial, but will happily pay the monthly £14 as it makes me want to cycle when I couldn't always get motivated if it was wet or windy outdoors.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just bought a smart trainer, a Tacx Flow, costing about £250. Am now addicted to Zwift - quite realistic and, for me, better than spinning like Peloton, or just pedalling without any interaction.
I had a bike already so just hooked that up to the trainer. Still on the 1m free Zwift trial, but will happily pay the monthly £14 as it makes me want to cycle when I couldn't always get motivated if it was wet or windy outdoors.

Just wait until you get to unlock Alpe D'Zwift (Alp D'Huez)! Its brutal!!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Peleton will sting you another 39 quid a month for the subscription. But then wattbike does not have the live class side of things, Here is an article which should help

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...bike-without-paying-Peloton-style-prices.html

tnx rooter.. I m finding the whole turbo trainer intriguing.. wondering if should go down that route. I am unlikley to use my hybrid in the winter, so may be a good idea to adapt it to a turbo trainer. Then add Zwift to it. If we use it more often, i could upgrade to something like a direct one rather than a roller

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
tnx rooter.. I m finding the whole turbo trainer intriguing.. wondering if should go down that route. I am unlikley to use my hybrid in the winter, so may be a good idea to adapt it to a turbo trainer. Then add Zwift to it. If we use it more often, i could upgrade to something like a direct one rather than a roller

So you know I am quite into it all, I have a wheel on smart trainer. My winter bike comes indoors for the summer and a put a dedicated turbo trainer tyre on it. Likewise in winter, my race bike becomes the turbo bike. I have a Tacx Flow which is at the budget end of smart trainers, I think it was sub 200quid in a Halfords deal. I am actually though not using Zwift, trialling a few others such as Bkool and Sufferfest, but I think I will end up back with Zwift, as I also use a treadmill and have a footpod which allows you to run on zwift too...

The only issues we have and I can see for you, if the mrs fancies a go, its a pain in the backside. Whereas a dedicated indoor trainer can be adjusted quickly, tool less and easily.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So you know I am quite into it all, I have a wheel on smart trainer. My winter bike comes indoors for the summer and a put a dedicated turbo trainer tyre on it. Likewise in winter, my race bike becomes the turbo bike. I have a Tacx Flow which is at the budget end of smart trainers, I think it was sub 200quid in a Halfords deal. I am actually though not using Zwift, trialling a few others such as Bkool and Sufferfest, but I think I will end up back with Zwift, as I also use a treadmill and have a footpod which allows you to run on zwift too...

The only issues we have and I can see for you, if the mrs fancies a go, its a pain in the backside. Whereas a dedicated indoor trainer can be adjusted quickly, tool less and easily.

That was the first thing that the mrs said... she thinks my bike is too tall for her. my hybrid cant be adjusted (it is at its lowest seat), so that may be a challenge). I had a look at Vitality or office insurance co... Very impressed when it said 120 days peleton digital free. Only later did i realise it is just the app not the bike # facepalm

jmcp

Visit site
Hi,

has anyone who bought a Wattbike still happy with it and even though it is now more expensive that a peloton bike still think it is better value ? My daughter is considering a smart bike and trying to guide her to the best option. Thanks.

Cheers, John

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

has anyone who bought a Wattbike still happy with it and even though it is now more expensive that a peloton bike still think it is better value ? My daughter is considering a smart bike and trying to guide her to the best option. Thanks.

Cheers, John

What is ur budget? Don’t forget Peleton also needs a digital subscription for the full experience.

Also is she someone who will use it regularly + use the social side of it (group training)

I could not justify the price, so ended up buying a JLL IC400 (about 500 quid) comes with a simple app. I use it almost every day for 30 mins of cardio. In case I don’t use it, I don’t have to worry about monthly subs. Wattbike looks impressive but I am not an athlete enough to justify it.

BTW, I bought a cheap & dumb rowing machine from Amazon. It is brilliant and way more effective than a bike as you exercise far more muscles with a rowing machine than a bike. The top end ones are more expensive than pelotons. My cheap one is also foldable so, easy on space too. Highly recommend

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your looking for a Peleton at 2k your looking in the wrong place.
The older models are £1350 and you can get £100 off codes in loads of places.
The Peloton plus is 2k but you can pick them up for under £1500

I just bought a Peleton 3 days ago,the older model off Marketplace for £500
Sold it 2 days later for £940
Yes £39 a month but good deals are out there.
Patience and quick fingers needed.

jmcp

Visit site
If your looking for a Peleton at 2k your looking in the wrong place.
The older models are £1350 and you can get £100 off codes in loads of places.
The Peloton plus is 2k but you can pick them up for under £1500

I just bought a Peleton 3 days ago,the older model off Marketplace for £500
Sold it 2 days later for £940
Yes £39 a month but good deals are out there.
Patience and quick fingers needed.

Peleton bikes were around £2k when this thread started and Wattbike around £1599, now peloton bikes are approx £1350 and Wattbike £2k so what I was trying to gauge was were the people who bought the Wattbike still impressed with them and would they still pick them over a peloton bike even though they are now £650 more then a peleton and when this thread started, peloton was approx £400 more expensive than Wattbike.
Although peloton subscription is £39 a month, it is a family subscription whereas I currently pay £12.99 monthly for swift and each of my family members would have to pay £12.99 each for a swift subscription.

as someone who has done a lot of cycling and still does some, I feel inclined to recommend the Wattbike as it is more of a higher quality turbo replacement which would suit me better (I currently use a turbo with a PowerTap wheel) but since it is not going to be mines then I am trying to understand what would best suit my daughter and the family. One of my big concerns with peloton is that it is a closed shop, you have to use their peloton app But maybe the app is brilliant, would love to know peoples thoughts on it who use it. Thanks.

Cheers, John