Going to the Gym... over 40s

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
fit bits and apps are massively inaccurate when it comes to calorie consumption but 83kg and 250 ish calories sounds about right for a 3 mile walk. at 90kg it should be 300. fitbit are good to use as a reference if you use the same one. your fit bit doesn't know that you had a pram but maybe some of your steps didnt register if you had your hands on the bar. im not saying running burns the same. I'm saying that it's not much more. considering most people hate running then why not walk and get most of the benefits (as far as calories burning goes)
I get what you're saying about walking, but if we're doubling up my running time that means I'd be walking for 45 minutes, which personally I would just find boring. I have never walked for the sake of walking, I walk to get from A to B. The only thing I could do is walk to the local Tesco next time we need some things, that's a 12 minute walk each way, plus carrying the items on the way back.

I'm trying to reduce my portions for dinner on the days when I haven't gone anywhere or done anything, but it's hard because I'm always hungry regardless of what I've done.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get what you're saying about walking, but if we're doubling up my running time that means I'd be walking for 45 minutes, which personally I would just find boring. I have never walked for the sake of walking, I walk to get from A to B. The only thing I could do is walk to the local Tesco next time we need some things, that's a 12 minute walk each way, plus carrying the items on the way back.

I'm trying to reduce my portions for dinner on the days when I haven't gone anywhere or done anything, but it's hard because I'm always hungry regardless of what I've done.
a good way to fight hunger is to absolutely fill your stomach with low calorie, high volume food. for eg, i love pizza and I can easyily smash a large domino's to myself. however, before it arrives I eat a whole Mellon and a bowl of strawberries. that adds upto about 200 calories. a full pizza is 2200 calories. Once I've eaten all that fruit I can only manage half the pizza. so half the pizza is 1100 calories plus 200 from the fruit =900 calories saved. that's about 2 hours of running you don't need to do. this method is how bodybuilders stay sane when getting ready for a show

other low calories high volume food is plain or salted popcorn and salad.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
a good way to fight hunger is to absolutely fill your stomach with low calories high volume food. for eg, i love pizza and easyily smash a large domino's to myself. however, before it arrives I eat a whole Mellon and a bowl of strawberries. that adds upto about 200 calories. a full pizza is 2200 calories. Once I've eaten all that fruit I can only manage half the pizza. so half the pizza is 1100 calories plus 200 from the fruit =900 calories saved. that's about 2 hours of running you don't need to do. this method is how bodybuilders stay sane when getting ready for a show

other low calories high volume food is plain or salted popcorn and salad.
What you've done there, is completely ruined a pizza for yourself you maniac. The trick is to be as hungry as possible so you can finish it all in one sitting isn't it?

In seriousness it's not like we're ordering pizzas every night. I don't really like fruit and I don't like popcorn either. I do eat salads, but it actually means doing more shopping at the moment if you want the ingredients to be fresh. We never really used to do the 'big weekly shop' because I walked past the Tesco twice a day on my way to and from the station so I used to just pick up things I needed as and when. So a bit different at the moment.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What you've done there, is completely ruined a pizza for yourself you maniac. The trick is to be as hungry as possible so you can finish it all in one sitting isn't it?

In seriousness it's not like we're ordering pizzas every night. I don't really like fruit and I don't like popcorn either. I do eat salads, but it actually means doing more shopping at the moment if you want the ingredients to be fresh. We never really used to do the 'big weekly shop' because I walked past the Tesco twice a day on my way to and from the station so I used to just pick up things I needed as and when. So a bit different at the moment.
i agree. I have ruined pizza. I had no choice as I kept getting fat?.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Look at the walking routines on My Fitness Pal.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have started the plank challenge. Adding an extra 10 seconds each day for 30 days. One where you rest on your forearms. Skipped a couple of days and started on 30 seconds. Just done 1.10 today and not too bad, but doubt I will be able to do 5 minutes.:eek: Good exercise for me as it doesn't hurt my back.

On exercise bike managed to average 35km per hour over 30 minutes yesterday. Just under 22 miles per hour. Definitely getting fitter after health problems at Xmas.(y)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mix of pilates, exercise bike and about to get the kettlebell out for the first time in a long time as i continue my rehab here. Lots of small and gentle for the time being

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone use a punch-bag at home? The sessions in the gym used to ruin me. Best of all they focussed my attention so I didn’t get bored. Looking to invest in one for the garage, but not sure if a free standing one or hanging one is better. Also, thought I’d start rope skipping. Good source of cardio, plus the way boxers do it always looks cool...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, it's been about a week of lockdown, and I've put on like 5 lbs, and I'm already thoroughly sick of running. I just can't stand any form of exercise that isn't sport. I don't really know what to do at this point. Try eating less and I'm just starving all day. I'm going to come out of this lockdown about 2 stone heavier.
I weighed myself this morning. I am normally very stable weightwise, rarely moving more than a pound either way. I eat pretty sensibly, don't do soft drinks. My exercise is a combination of golf, walking as part of a commute and a park run.
I've put on 4lb in a week. Hmmm....

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I weighed myself this morning. I am normally very stable weightwise, rarely moving more than a pound either way. I eat pretty sensibly, don't do soft drinks. My exercise is a combination of golf, walking as part of a commute and a park run.
I've put on 4lb in a week. Hmmm....
to put on 4lb of fat in a week you'd need to eat 2000 additional calories per day!!! what have you been eating ?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
to put on 4lb of fat in a week you'd need to eat 2000 additional calories per day!!! what have you been eating ?
My wife and daughter have made baking their new hobby...
For some reason (well actually, because everyone is working from home except me, and I am working less) we are sitting down to meals together all the time which means I make more of an effort to cook something nice...
No golf means a lot less exercise, as I would typically do work + golf...
And of course, it's over nearly 2 weeks, not 1.
But whatever, I know what I was, and I know what I am, and I am not impressed :cry:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've set myself a challenge of running 50 miles in April, done two 3 milers so far. Really helps to get out in the middle of the day when wfh. Clears the haze a bit.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't know about that, I regular fluctuate by 4lb on a normal week let alone now. Unless our scales are dodgy.
That's the thing, I don't. Except when I've been ill I've been 11 4 for the last 20 years. I weigh myself regularly enough on the same scales on the same floor to know this.

** Actually, I've just remembered, I've done a virtual beer every night for the last week :oops:. I normally drink a LOT less than that. Mystery solved...

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
never thought i would say this... having just started the gym and 2 sessions still paid for with the PT, i am missing the gym!!

in the meanwhile, i am enjoying doing the PE Joe thing with family and this is the first time we have exercised as a family..... and we are all crap. The only way is up

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm missing the gym. Being very sporadic with my exercise at home but then we have cleared the back garden and some of the front. I did do a walk/run to the beach this afternoon which I enjoyed. Was out for juts over half an hour. Hoping my new bike hurrys up and gets here.