Going to the Gym... over 40s

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ways to burn calories at home without special equipment include activating the brain with reading and playing a game like chess. Even sleeping burns calories.
Plus yoga, tai chi and qigong are especially useful to help with toning muscles and circulation.
Need to watch your lightsabre if you're practicing Qui-Gon.....(y):LOL:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
30 minutes in the back yard this morning, kettle bells, balance board, swing trainer, exercise mat, all used.

Plus the good old press ups, squat thrusts and burpees:eek:
20 mins hanging about waiting for HID to run past so I could give her fresh water and energy bar, teach me to encourage her to enter the Berlin Marathon :sick:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got this from the charity that run my local gym today so might be useful...

TRAIN AT HOME WITH FREEDOM - STAY ACTIVE

Dear Amanda

As we all continue to navigate our way through these unprecedented times we would like to give you the opportunity to have access to up to 16 weeks of FREE home exercise & workouts!
Our friends at Technogym - the world renowned fitness company - have given us access to 16 weeks of exercise & workout content on an easy to navigate app. Choose from bodyweight exercises & cardio programs all designed to keep you active. These workouts can be done at home with no equipment and are absolutely FREE during the COVID-19 disruption.
To get this content for FREE all you need to do is:
  1. Register at https://www.mywellness.com/trainathomewithfreedom
  2. Download the mywellness App and sign in with registered details
Apple Store
Android/Google Play Store

This is FREE content for EVERYONE, forward this email to friends and family and/or share the link on social media - together we can workout while the scientists work it out!​

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, it's been about a week of lockdown, and I've put on like 5 lbs, and I'm already thoroughly sick of running. I just can't stand any form of exercise that isn't sport. I don't really know what to do at this point. Try eating less and I'm just starving all day. I'm going to come out of this lockdown about 2 stone heavier.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, it's been about a week of lockdown, and I've put on like 5 lbs, and I'm already thoroughly sick of running. I just can't stand any form of exercise that isn't sport. I don't really know what to do at this point. Try eating less and I'm just starving all day. I'm going to come out of this lockdown about 2 stone heavier.

Lockdown.jpg

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
my VO2 max has gone up 2 points.. just got to try and get some will power in the kitchen and could see some real gains with being at home 7 days a week!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Now that the gyms are closed, I’ve taken to a bit of running.....by that I mean i have gone for two runs.

Did my first ever 5k tonight, was aiming for sub 30 mins.....managed it in 28:54 so was pretty happy.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
just remember that a long walk is very effective at consuming calories. cant remember the exact figures but it's something like a 90kg man burns 100 calories per mile walking. i do 5 miles each day at least

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
just remember that a long walk is very effective at consuming calories. cant remember the exact figures but it's something like a 90kg man burns 100 calories per mile walking. i do 5 miles each day at least

I’m not sure that figure adds up as surely it will depend on the speed you’re walking therefore the effort you put in.

I ran just over 3 miles earlier this evening in 29 mins and burnt 444 calories according to my Fitbit, with my weight currently at 83kgs.

Either way, a good brisk walk will certainly help with the weight situation

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure that figure adds up as surely it will depend on the speed you’re walking therefore the effort you put in.

I ran just over 3 miles earlier this evening in 29 mins and burnt 444 calories according to my Fitbit, with my weight currently at 83kgs.

Either way, a good brisk walk will certainly help with the weight situation
sorry I don't understand. what doesn't add up? are you saying you've burnt more because your running not walking?

within reason the speed doesn't matter. if you walk half the speed you'll be exercising for twice the time.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I used to do a nice 3.5-4 hour walk every Saturday. :cry:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
sorry I don't understand. what doesn't add up? are you saying you've burnt more because your running not walking?

within reason the speed doesn't matter. if you walk half the speed you'll be exercising for twice the time.

I just meant that 100 calories per mile seemed like too high an amount of calorie burn. That was just my initial reaction.

I have just checked my Fitbit for a walk I did the other day which showed a 3 mile walk burning 250 calories whilst pushing the baby in the pram. The difference in weight could well allow for the lower calorie burn.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just meant that 100 calories per mile seemed like too high an amount of calorie burn. That was just my initial reaction.

I have just checked my Fitbit for a walk I did the other day which showed a 3 mile walk burning 250 calories whilst pushing the baby in the pram. The difference in weight could well allow for the lower calorie burn.
fit bits and apps are massively inaccurate when it comes to calorie consumption but 83kg and 250 ish calories sounds about right for a 3 mile walk. at 90kg it should be 300. fitbit are good to use as a reference if you use the same one. your fit bit doesn't know that you had a pram but maybe some of your steps didnt register if you had your hands on the bar. im not saying running burns the same. I'm saying that it's not much more. considering most people hate running then why not walk and get most of the benefits (as far as calories burning goes)

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
fit bits and apps are massively inaccurate when it comes to calorie consumption but 83kg and 250 ish calories sounds about right for a 3 mile walk. at 90kg it should be 300. fitbit are good to use as a reference if you use the same one. your fit bit doesn't know that you had a pram but maybe some of your steps didnt register if you had your hands on the bar. im not saying running burns the same. I'm saying that it's not much more. considering most people hate running then why not walk and get most of the benefits (as far as calories burning goes)

Yeah I only use the calories burnt on the Fitbit as a reference as it is a constant for all the exercise I do, I have found it much more reliable than the figures given on a machine in the gym though.

I definitely fall into the “don’t like running” camp, but for some reason I agreed to do the great south run this year, so gotta get some miles in. A lot of people at work run, so if I can get into it then should be quite sociable once we are all allowed out to play together.