PC help please???

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Windows update has tried to install a feature update to windows 10 (version 1803).
Have downloaded it, it's tried to install but says that I have to remove Avira AntiVir because it isn't compatible with the upgrade.
It tried to uninstall it itself, but says it couldn't and I have to un-install it myself.
Despite the fact that I have uninstalled it, and can find no trace of it left on my PC the update is still telling me it can't continue until it is un-installed!
I've searched my computer to try to find any left over traces of the programme/app, and can't. Also used 10bit uninstaller which cleans and shreds any traces left over usually.
Can somebody help please?
TIA
Rob

Last edited:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure it'll be much help but back in the day uninstalling AV software didn't actually remove it. We had to run an AV specific removal tool downloaded from their website.

Check your AV provider's web page or just Google it.

Not sure how they keep getting away with this. Going on past experience I'm absolutely convinced most of these companies create 'issues' in order for us to 'require' their software.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Yeah , Rob go to the Avira website , under support you should find the Avira removal tool which will clean the registry of any bits that are left

Agree it’s a real pita, and Microsoft need to stop messing people around like this

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As expected this was to do with the registry.

Same goes for uninstalling video card drivers, my advice is always to use a legitimate remove tool if you can.

I’m in a bad mood with PCs at the moment as the prices for parts is too high.