Anyone...please.....HELP ME WITH MY DRIVER!!!!

AndyHighton_YNWA

Visit site
Hi, so basically, before lockdown I had a consistent driver swing and things were great. I then then got lots of better gear, including a brand new Cobra F7 from Golfbidder. It was going great! I was hitting solid 220-250 yard drives. Middle of the face.

Then at the range one day, I started hitting them out the heel, and one powerful swing later, a hosel rocket obliterated it. I sent it back, and I got a TaylorMade M3. Heel. Heel. Heel. Then, one powerful swing later.......yes.......a hosel rocket obliterated it. I had been consistently either clipping the ball 20 yards left, or missing the ball completely. 2 drivers smashed in 6 weeks.

Trying to arrange the next one. Basically if you put my LW, all the way up to my 5-iron in my hand, I'll have a GREAT time. Few major issues. But a 3-wood or driver, and it's like I've never swung a club before. I've tried standing further away, putting the ball even further left, standing straighter etc.

Please, someone help me figure out how my driver swing is so drastically different to irons/wedges. Teeing off on every hole with a 5-iron is demoralising......

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Stop wasting money on Drivers and go and get a lesson. Chances are theres something going wrong in your grip, or stance or swing that cant be noticed by yourself.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Use some foot spray on the driver face to track where you're making contact. Centre the clubface at address then put a tee peg where the drivers toe is. Make some steady swings and try not to hit the tee peg out, keep doing this until your brain has worked out what you need to do then gradually build up swing speed. If on the range put a headcover on the matt.
Good luck.

Diamond

Visit site
I can only go off my short experience as an amateur golfer. If something doesn’t work I get a lesson. Bunker play poor, got a lesson and Fixed after 2 swings. Driver always slicing, got a lesson and fixed in 2 swings.
Now I admit I still slice my driver because I do t always roll my right over left and aim right but I now know why. I also know why I don’t get out of a bunker because I don’t follow through but it’s a lot cheaper having lessons than spending £400 on a club that is now better.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can only go off my short experience as an amateur golfer. If something doesn’t work I get a lesson. Bunker play poor, got a lesson and Fixed after 2 swings. Driver always slicing, got a lesson and fixed in 2 swings.
Now I admit I still slice my driver because I do t always roll my right over left and aim right but I now know why. I also know why I don’t get out of a bunker because I don’t follow through but it’s a lot cheaper having lessons than spending £400 on a club that is now better.
If you roll your wrists you will probably always play inconsistant golf.

Diamond

Visit site
I think it was more to get me drawing rather than slicing. My last lesson right over left was ditched and it is just aim right now.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What do you mean?
And what's your handicap?
What I mean is that if you roll your wrists in the swing it will tend to create unreliable shots. It's very difficult to time wrist rolling so that the clubface returns square and is questionable on it creating any power.

My handicap is not really your business but it has been in low single figures for a very long time.
NB: Some of the worlds best respected golf coaches dont have low handicaps ?

incatrekker

Visit site
Hi, so basically, before lockdown I had a consistent driver swing and things were great. I then then got lots of better gear, including a brand new Cobra F7 from Golfbidder. It was going great! I was hitting solid 220-250 yard drives. Middle of the face.

Then at the range one day, I started hitting them out the heel, and one powerful swing later, a hosel rocket obliterated it. I sent it back, and I got a TaylorMade M3. Heel. Heel. Heel. Then, one powerful swing later.......yes.......a hosel rocket obliterated it. I had been consistently either clipping the ball 20 yards left, or missing the ball completely. 2 drivers smashed in 6 weeks.

Trying to arrange the next one. Basically if you put my LW, all the way up to my 5-iron in my hand, I'll have a GREAT time. Few major issues. But a 3-wood or driver, and it's like I've never swung a club before. I've tried standing further away, putting the ball even further left, standing straighter etc.

Please, someone help me figure out how my driver swing is so drastically different to irons/wedges. Teeing off on every hole with a 5-iron is demoralising......
Apart from the sound advice to have a Pro look at your driver swing, have you sorted your problem yet?

Diamond

Visit site
If you roll your wrists you will probably always play inconsistant golf.

I have seen the Rick Shiels video. The advice from my lessons is to finish right over left, aim right and concentrate on inside Swing and not over the top. It does stop my slice, in the main, but I am prone to pulls and the odd hook.
I do however manage very straight drives but like you have said the slice is still there and the fade at times.
At the range I have developed a stronger left hand grip (right handed) and I think is is key for me as well, possibly more than the rolling of my right hand over left. I did get very consistent 2 weeks ago but then lost it again which does mean I lose faith in the advice I have been given.

incatrekker

Visit site
Forget about any conscious rolling of the hands. It can be used just as a way to give you a different feeling. I suspect you’re coming over the top, which is very common. Lookup some instruction/ info on the swingpath maybe MeAndMyGolf at
Start the downswing by rotating the hips to correct “over the top”. Good luck, keep at it!

Diamond

Visit site
Forget about any conscious rolling of the hands. It can be used just as a way to give you a different feeling. I suspect you’re coming over the top, which is very common. Lookup some instruction/ info on the swingpath maybe MeAndMyGolf at
Start the downswing by rotating the hips to correct “over the top”. Good luck, keep at it!

Bought myself a 3 hybrid but even that with thr additional length is hard not to slice. My last shot on the range I made sure I followed through after contact with the ball and it went straight...so maybe being more committed will stop my slice.