Paul Casey, is he too negative?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Merging the tours would be the worst thing for the ET. All the players would just play in the US events where the sponsorship is higher to allow bigger prize money.

Why should the RC change - if players want to represent Europe and the ET who administer the European RC then they should support the ET , it’s not exactly a hardship for them and the European Team has been more than fine with the way it does Selection - right now the one player missing out is Casey and Europe have been fine without him. Changing everything would be the start of the downfall and we in this country would see the top European players once - The Open , they aren’t going to come over for any other event

In the case of points accumulation counting towards RC qualification I agree, but I would like the captains pick not to be limited to ET only.

Captains pick could be from any tour as long as the players are eligible to represent Europe IMO.

D

Deleted member 15344

In the case of points accumulation counting towards RC qualification I agree, but I would like the captains pick not to be limited to ET only.

Captains pick could be from any tour as long as the players are eligible to represent Europe IMO.

Don’t see why they shoold change it - players like Casey complained bitterly that the qualification criteria was weighted heavily in favour of people playing in Europe and imo it shoold be - but they tweaked it a little so they had to play less and still that wasn’t enough for him so he quit. If he really wants to play RC for Europe then he should show a little desire to do that just like all the other players - anyone that doesn’t for me Europe are better off without. They always play better as a team irrelevant of World Ranking - history shows that since 1985

U

User62651

Don’t see why they shoold change it - players like Casey complained bitterly that the qualification criteria was weighted heavily in favour of people playing in Europe and imo it shoold be - but they tweaked it a little so they had to play less and still that wasn’t enough for him so he quit. If he really wants to play RC for Europe then he should show a little desire to do that just like all the other players - anyone that doesn’t for me Europe are better off without. They always play better as a team irrelevant of World Ranking - history shows that since 1985

Doesn't show that, Europe could have played even better in Cups they won and maybe not lost the cups they've lost with selection of the very best ranked or best form players available at the time, we just don't know.
Putting a hurdle in the way of picking the strongest team is not wise wrt the event itself but perhaps for the European tour's health powers that be think that's worth it, either way that is a handicap that may work against us as the US team is stronger than ever in terms of young quality players coming through and perhaps Europe doesn't have so many top players at present as it has had over last 20 years.
If Casey is based in US with a young family there and can earn more money playing there with less travelling and time zone changes, then I think he's fine staying there. Apply that thinking to any of our jobs and we'd do the same....imho:)

D

Deleted member 18588

But what is the point of the Ryder Cup these days when half of the European team are PGA Tour players who played the bare minimum of European events?

The other half would probably prefer to ultimately do the same.

As far as the original ideals of the Ryder Cup are concerned it would seem that they have long disappeared.

D

Deleted member 15344

Doesn't show that, Europe could have played even better in Cups they won and maybe not lost the cups they've lost with selection of the very best ranked or best form players available at the time, we just don't know.
Putting a hurdle in the way of picking the strongest team is not wise wrt the event itself but perhaps for the European tour's health powers that be think that's worth it, either way that is a handicap that may work against us as the US team is stronger than ever in terms of young quality players coming through and perhaps Europe doesn't have so many top players at present as it has had over last 20 years.
If Casey is based in US with a young family there and can earn more money playing there with less travelling and time zone changes, then I think he's fine staying there. Apply that thinking to any of our jobs and we'd do the same....imho:)

Since 1999 in pretty much every Ryder Cup the USA are always reportedly to have the stronger team - especially in regards the WR - as each RC happened they always pointed towards the lack of major winners in the European team and players way down the rankings - like McGinley himself but each time the players came together as a team bar two RC - the Faldo one where his picks played well but poor captaincy allowed the US to win it back and last year where for Prob the first time Clarke’s Picks didn’t work out and it cost them. Same happened after 08 - all the talk was about Europe lacking depth and young guns coming through and the USA going on to become stronger - Europe then won three in a row again. The USA haven’t won in Europe since ? 95 ? Europe will tweak the qualifying a little bit but ultimately there should always been the criteria that the player must be a member of the ET - and I can certainly see Europe winning the RC back with a good amount of strong European players in the team.

Casey made his choice - when he lost his PGA card he had no choice to come back to ET , they gave him the platform to resurrect his career again then he dumped them. Knox wants to play in the RC so joins the ET - all the other players that are based in the US in the same situation but want to play RC are members of the ET - I would see someone like Poulter than Casey in the team - because for one of them playing in the RC means everything

D

Deleted member 15344

But what is the point of the Ryder Cup these days when half of the European team are PGA Tour players who played the bare minimum of European events?

The other half would probably prefer to ultimately do the same.

As far as the original ideals of the Ryder Cup are concerned it would seem that they have long disappeared.

The Ryder Cup is now prob one of the biggest sporting events - prob behind the World Cup and Olympics - it’s audience level prob exceeds what you see for any of the Majors - I believe the Sunday at Medinah still is Sky’s highest golf viewing figures. It allows player who are normally only focused on themselves to play and thrive in a team environment.

All sports over the years evolve and change - there isn’t many left that play to the original ideas - doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
A lot of those players you named in fact prob all of them have managed to win on Tour in the past 2 years - Casey hasn’t won over there since 2009 - 8 years now , yep earning plenty money with place finishes. Yep he competes but doesn’t win.

It is disappointing playing with the best in the world, making millions and not winning.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Do you agree that the captain should have the option of picking the best European players, in form, at the time of the picks?

If, so, how does picking from a limited pool give this when there may be better players on other tours?

D

Deleted member 18588

It might mean everything to Poulter but it still fails to prove anything.

Poulter himself is a PGA Tour player who plays in perhaps 5 or 6 ET events (excluding Majors and WGC) whereas he will most likely play thrwe times as many regular tournaments in America.

For a spell in the 90's it appeared that the ET could complete with the PGA but the worldwide financial crisis put paid to that.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you agree that the captain should have the option of picking the best European players, in form, at the time of the picks?

If, so, how does picking from a limited pool give this when there may be better players on other tours?

I believe the Captain should be able to pick any player who is eligible to play for Europe in the Ryder Cup - which is exactly what he has right now - the pool isn’t really limited when it’s only missing a handful of players - I count one at the moment - Casey.

Clarke had the choice and picked who he thought were the best choice - same with all the other captains before them - some picks work out some don’t but reckon more often than not they have worked out.

D

Deleted member 18588

The Ryder Cup is now prob one of the biggest sporting events - prob behind the World Cup and Olympics - it’s audience level prob exceeds what you see for any of the Majors - I believe the Sunday at Medinah still is Sky’s highest golf viewing figures. It allows player who are normally only focused on themselves to play and thrive in a team environment.

All sports over the years evolve and change - there isn’t many left that play to the original ideas - doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing.

Actually I believe that worldwide the viewing figures don't put it in the top 10.

G

guest100718

you're over selling the RC. it's probably not even in the top 10 of most watched

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I believe the Captain should be able to pick any player who is eligible to play for Europe in the Ryder Cup - which is exactly what he has right now - the pool isn’t really limited when it’s only missing a handful of players - I count one at the moment - Casey.

Clarke had the choice and picked who he thought were the best choice - same with all the other captains before them - some picks work out some don’t but reckon more often than not they have worked out.

But he doesn't have that now! They have to be members of the ET!

Casey was on fire before the Ryder Cup yet was ineligible because he is not a member of the ET.

Are you seriously going to tell me that Lee Westwood was in better form in the same period and was more deserving of a captains pick?

While I agree that, on the whole, the qualification process is sound and doesn't need to be vastly overhauled, I believe the Captains picks should not face the same constraint of tour membership.

D

Deleted member 15344

But he doesn't have that now! They have to be members of the ET!

Casey was on fire before the Ryder Cup yet was ineligible because he is not a member of the ET.

Are you seriously going to tell me that Lee Westwood was in better form in the same period and was more deserving of a captains pick?

While I agree that, on the whole, the qualification process is sound and doesn't need to be vastly overhauled, I believe the Captains picks should not face the same constraint of tour membership.

Actually he does have that - Casey is not eligible to play for Europe in the RC and that’s only down to one person - Paul Casey - his own choice , Paul Casey made himself unavailable.

RC captains pick more than just who is on form - they also look at how those people will interact within the team , what sort of partnerships can they form , experience - etc etc etc - some of Clarke’s didn’t work out - that happens. When Monty picked Harrington over Casey it worked - swings and roundabouts. Would Casey have made a difference or would he have cracked under the pressure ? Westwood may have been the wrong picked but Casey wasn’t the right one - Knox prob was or Lowry or Kjldeson - players from ET higher up than Westwood.

By allowing the captain to bypass eligibility for the RC makes the whole thing a mockery - why should he anyway just for one person - Casey. If Casey was a member of the ET who would have prob qualified and would do this time but again it’s his choice to walk away.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Actually he does have that - Casey is not eligible to play for Europe in the RC and that’s only down to one person - Paul Casey - his own choice , Paul Casey made himself unavailable.

RC captains pick more than just who is on form - they also look at how those people will interact within the team , what sort of partnerships can they form , experience - etc etc etc - some of Clarke’s didn’t work out - that happens. When Monty picked Harrington over Casey it worked - swings and roundabouts. Would Casey have made a difference or would he have cracked under the pressure ? Westwood may have been the wrong picked but Casey wasn’t the right one - Knox prob was or Lowry or Kjldeson - players from ET higher up than Westwood.

By allowing the captain to bypass eligibility for the RC makes the whole thing a mockery - why should he anyway just for one person - Casey. If Casey was a member of the ET who would have prob qualified and would do this time but again it’s his choice to walk away.

So are you saying if Casey was asked, he would turn it down? Wouldn't want to be considered? I don't think so!

He has only made himself unavailable under current selection criteria.

He's always made it clear he loved playing the Ryder Cup but the travel was the issue for him to play in Europe, which is why he relinquished his ET membership.

Regarding the second piece in bold. As I've already stated. The qualifying process would/should remain the same with points being earned via the ET. I'm only suggesting the captains picks be who he wants regardless of tour.

With the draw of the bigger prize funds over on the PGA, what would happen if more and more left the ET for the PGA? More and more European players are basing themselves in the states for the better facilities/weather/money/tournaments (Delete as appropriate).

What happens if/when they decide to give up the ET card to save on travel the same way Casey did?

It's one person now, but who's to say it will remain that way?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So are you saying if Casey was asked, he would turn it down? Wouldn't want to be considered? I don't think so!

He's always made it clear he loved playing the Ryder Cup but the travel was the issue for him to play in Europe, which is why he relinquished his ET membership.

Regarding the second piece in bold. As I've already stated. The qualifying process would/should remain the same with points being earned via the ET. I'm only suggesting the captains picks be who he wants regardless of tour.

With the draw of the bigger prize funds over on the PGA, what would happen if more and more left the ET for the PGA? More and more European players are basing themselves in the states for the better facilities/weather/money/tournaments (Delete as appropriate).

What happens if/when they decide to give up the ET card to save on travel the same way Casey did?

I just wonder, having seen Casey in complete knobhead form, whether the Captain didnt like him and the reason was perfect not to select him?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Way too much being made of this RC eligibility and taking away from the original point. Did Casey choke last night? Compared to the filed yes but I didn't think he played in a negative or defensive manner.

As for the RC it's simple. You either stick to the current criteria where you have to be an ET member and meet the minimum entry criteria or a decision is made allow captain's the chance to pick anyone they want irrespective of ET eligibility. With the majority of picks still coming from order of merit/rankings I think it gives the captain a bigger choice and can then pick the best side. I firmly believe and especially momentum has a lot to do with these picks rather than how they'll interact. It's all behind closed doors so how anyone can know what goes on in a team room is a mystery and you have to wonder to a degree how much so called divisions (in both camps) over the years have been blown up by the press and media.

I wouldn't expand that to do away with ET criteria as I think commercially with everyone free then to travel to the US (subject to tour card qualification) and chase the mighty $, the best will rarely be seen in Europe, the emerging will want to try their luck in the US and the ET tour becomes bereft. Sponsors leave, tournaments go and within a decade the ET will be as sparse and poor at the ladies ET

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I just wonder, having seen Casey in complete knobhead form, whether the Captain didnt like him and the reason was perfect not to select him?

(...Subject to Casey being eligible) But would pick an out of form player out of spite?

I would suggest he shouldn't be the captain if he were to put his personal feelings ahead of the objective.

D

Deleted member 15344

If more and more go over and relinquish their membership then the ET suffers and so does the RC - but how many have followed Casey lead ? None - if fact people like Knox and Rahm have gone the other way and joined the ET and played over in Europe during the season - and the reason is because they want to play in the Ryder Cup. Are more and more really basing themselves over there ? A few have gone over and most have struggled but anyone that has gone over none have relinquished their ET membership

If Casey wants to play in the RC then the choice is there for him - he had no problems with the travel around the ET when he lost his tour card. He asked for them to chance the selection - so they did , that still wasn’t enough for him so he quit. If he isn’t willing to meet the criteria then he clearly doesn’t want to play in the RC enough - Donald , McDowell , Rose , Poulter , McIlroy, Stenson all based over there in the exact same situation as Casey and all have ET membership to ensure they can play in the RC , they are willing to play those small amount of comps to ensure they can play.

Here is John Rahm on joining the ET - as he says “because I want to play RC”

http://www.europeantour.com/videoaudio/video/videoid=322162.html

Look at rule changes if it’s affecting multiple players - not when it’s one person.

D

Deleted member 18588

If that was one of the criteria for selection then Montgomerie (among others) would never have made a team.