Paul Casey, is he too negative?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never met him but followed him for a few holes at Birkdale when he played the final day with Beef. He didn't have much to play for but was interacting with the crowd, he seemed to love the attention Beef was getting and they seemed to have a good laugh inbetween holes. Seemed down to earth and looked to be enjoying his golf.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Funny, articulate guy.

Always has time for Sky and gives a great interview.

One of my favourite guys on tour.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems to be the British version of Matt Kuchar. Often seems to be in the top 10 but never actually looks like winning. I imagine he has coined in a big sum this year as he has been very consistent. If I was a betting man I would put money on him and Kuchar every week for top 10 finishes. I think I would do okay over the year.

He does seem to get some very negative press on this forum.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been trying to keep up with the golf while on holiday in the USA, the channels here have picked up on it and it's something I've thought for a while.
He quite often leads or is in contention in a tournament and talks himself down acterwards, it's in a way in which he almost expects to lose. Even the missus commented on it last night while she was thoroughly enjoying the coverage .

Isn't that what all good sports people do? Take the pressure off themselves?

FWIW I actually like Casey. I think he's an extremely talented golfer who hasn't achieved anywhere near what he should have.

Bit like a few others.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think he's a dam nice chap, had the pleasure of chatting to him a few years ago, he also went over to chat with lots of young children waiting to see him, had his photo taken with most of them, all while others walked straight past and didn't stop .

D

Deleted member 18588

In my experience he's articulate polite and was happy to give time to others.

But that would seem to not fit with the narrative of some on here.

FWIW I had a similar experience a couple of times with Nick Faldo but again that wouldn't fit with the haters.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my experience he's articulate polite and was happy to give time to others.

But that would seem to not fit with the narrative of some on here.

FWIW I had a similar experience a couple of times with Nick Faldo but again that wouldn't fit with the haters.

We tend to make snap decisions on well known people based on a brief encounter. I think Robert Rock is great because at one tournament he smiled at me and asked how my day was going. Every other golfer had blanked the spectators all day but he showed a human side. He could be horrible, don't think so from what I have heard, but from my 5 second encounter I follow his results. Irrational. Equally a negative encounter or perceived slight has the opposite effect.

Casey often seems to get a bad press but it is good to hear some positives on here as well.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like Casey but he does seem to slip away when in contention to many times, would not surprise me if he won a major at some point.

Dont get some of the harsh words that some on hear post that have never met the guy.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We tend to make snap decisions on well known people based on a brief encounter. I think Robert Rock is great because at one tournament he smiled at me and asked how my day was going. Every other golfer had blanked the spectators all day but he showed a human side. He could be horrible, don't think so from what I have heard, but from my 5 second encounter I follow his results. Irrational. Equally a negative encounter or perceived slight has the opposite effect.

Casey often seems to get a bad press but it is good to hear some positives on here as well.

Met him a few times and he has always come across as a pretty decent bloke. Granted, they've only been fleeting encounters.

As for the snap decisions bit, did see Patrick Reed on practise day at The Open this year. What a change in perception I have of him. From what I'd heard and read I had the impression he was a brash and abrasive typical yank. In reality he was nice, down to earth and was brilliant with my baby daughter. Signed a few things for us, stopped and chatted for about a minute (doesn't sound long but seemed like much longer as it was in between holes). Then when he passed us on the next hole he stopped in the fairway, saw who it was and waved at us shouting my daughters name. Simple touch that made her laugh and made me a new Patrick Reed fan.

And there is the case in point. His choices meant that he wasn't (and isn't) eligible to play.

Think that there's still a bit of resentment that he wasn't picked for 2010 even though he was 9th in the word at the time. I can kind of see it his way though, for some the Ryder Cup is not the be all and end all of golf and there are other things he may want to focus on instead.