Paul Casey, is he too negative?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think that stance will only weaken European options over time.

Let's be honest, the PGA tour is where the money is. Players will always move with the money. You only have to look at the prize funds between the tours.

For Rahm to openly state hell join the ET purely for Ryder Cup contention only echoes my point.

Playing a token number of events is not likely to gain enough points to qualify automatically so is heavily reliant on a captains pick.

The only difference between Rahm and Caseys situation is one openly admits to using a tour as a means to an end, the other focusing on good golf but without the possibility of a pick.

Doesn't sit right with me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think that stance will only weaken European options over time.

Let's be honest, the PGA tour is where the money is. Players will always move with the money. You only have to look at the prize funds between the tours.

For Rahm to openly state hell join the ET purely for Ryder Cup contention only echoes my point.

Playing a token number of events is not likely to gain enough points to qualify automatically so is heavily reliant on a captains pick.

The only difference between Rahm and Caseys situation is one openly admits to using a tour as a means to an end, the other focusing on good golf but without the possibility of a pick.

Doesn't sit right with me.

Rahm won't need a pick. He'll most likely pick up enough points from the Majors and WGCs...he's only playing the ET events to get his qualification.
The bulk of the European Team live and play the bulk of their golf in America. They play enough events on the ET to qualify for the RC.
Not exactly helping the ET......
Is it Europe Vs USA or the ET Vs USA..?
Surely the best team should be picked? Having such a long qualification process can lead to someone qualifying by Jan/Feb and then losing all form in the next 6 months.
I think the European Team should be just that - a team of Europeans....and the best ones too, regardless of where they ply their trade

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rahm won't need a pick. He'll most likely pick up enough points from the Majors and WGCs...he's only playing the ET events to get his qualification.
The bulk of the European Team live and play the bulk of their golf in America. They play enough events on the ET to qualify for the RC.
Surely the best team should be picked? Having such a long qualification process can lead to someone qualifying by Jan/Feb and then losing all form in the next 6 months.
I think the European Team should be just that - a team of Europeans....and the best ones too, regardless of where they ply their trade

Good point about qualifying too early and I think Willett was a prime example losing all three games he was involved in and clearly not the man playing anywhere near his Masters form (and hasn't since in truth). I firmly feel we need players playing well and if these are players doing so on the PGA tour then it shouldn't matter. In fact for the next game in the US you could argue that form in those conditions would be a distinct advantage irrespective of whether they have played sufficient ET matching tournaments.

You can understand why the ET want to protect their tour and their RC investment and the entry criteria isn't perhaps as punitive as it could be (or indeed probably was historically) but golf is becoming a global game and the top players will cherry pick their events to suit their schedules.

D

Deleted member 15344

The qualification points has changed to the point I believe any points scored after the PGA are worth 1.5 so players playing well later in the year will be getting more points that playing well earlier in the season. Also any events that are being played at the same time as a Rolex event will score no points

It’s Europe looked after by the ET - they are the ones the fork out all the time and money - take away the need for a player to be a member of their tour then who looks after the team ?

Having players like Rahm , Stenson etc etc come over and play certain events keep them alive.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I perfectly understand the ET wanting to protect their brand.

I dm dinky feel that the qualifying criteria could be loosened to allow the best players at the time to be selected.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I initially disliked Paul Casey when I first took up golf. So this will have been around 2008 I suppose. I think it was because he has an air of arrogance during interviews. I can't say I am an out and out fan of his but I like him. Terrific golfer and as others have mentioned, he hasn't delivered winning results on par with his talent.

I'd like to see him in the Ryder Cup though. I think he would be good on that platform.

D

Deleted member 15344

So Casey has joined the ET

Glad they didn’t make any further concessions to allow non ET members to play RC