Par Three Courses

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
There's a small part of me that enjoys a tight little par three 9 hole course that I can whizz around in an hour more than 18 holes of par 72, particularly when I am by myself.

Quality of holes and variety of shots required is important here, but I do find them fun in a way full courses are not sometimes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not par 3 courses but there are some nice 9 hole courses up here, Bonar Bridge and Portmahomack are two that spring to mind plus there's some nice ones out the west coast. used to be loads but all been made into 18 holers and not for the better in many cases

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There's a small part of me that enjoys a tight little par three 9 hole course that I can whizz around in an hour more than 18 holes of par 72, particularly when I am by myself.

Quality of holes and variety of shots required is important here, but I do find them fun in a way full courses are not sometimes.

I would prefer to play the par 3 course at Augusta than the main course. It just looks stunning.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love my little par 3 course I’m a member of. £195 a year.. 9 holes. “The mini links” punishing rough, pop bunkers. Just great to practice

Membership runs out next month.. gonna hold off renewing until feb as I don’t see me getting out over the winter as much as last year

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
I love my little par 3 course I’m a member of. £195 a year.. 9 holes. “The mini links” punishing rough, pop bunkers. Just great to practice

Membership runs out next month.. gonna hold off renewing until feb as I don’t see me getting out over the winter as much as last year

Which course is that? Havering is drivable from me

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have Ampfield down here near Romsey. There's half a dozen holes that are a bit meh but the other dozen are very good. As the OP said, great to whizz round in super quick time!

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think we need more of these courses. I am a member of a course - not quite a straight up par 3-but 9 holes, par of 30, 6 Par 3s between 110 and 200 yards and 3 Par 4s around 300/350.

Bit of everything, tough greens and surrounds so a great short game test plus a few longer holes to get the big stick out on and I can play 9 holes on my own in a little over an hour. 9 hole comp on a Saturday morn or Wednesday takes 1 hour 30 and keeps my game and H/C going even with 2 young kids under 4 and a full time job.

I couldn’t play 4 hour rounds more than very occasionally and so this is perfect. I think if there were more courses like this with a reasonable membership cost and kept in good condition we could attract more people to the game who are currently put off because of the time it takes.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing better to mix it up than a quick bat around a par 3 of mini 9 holes. Great laugh and gives me chance to get some of my none golfing mates involved !

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not quite but surely close enough,Nth Berwick West has a great little 9 hole kids course adjacent to the main links.You can play it as long as you are accompanying your kid/s.My pal and our sons play a 5 ball with us two acting as caddies while having a wedge each tucked in a bag for the dads v lads comp,longest hole probably 100 yds but plenty of variety and what better way to have fun with your boys AND give the short game a good run AND.....it’s 2£!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a great wee Par 3 9 hole course at Brucefield's in Stirling, attached to the driving range. It's great for practicing the wedges and it's usually in decent nick too.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
My new club has a 12 hole par 3 course, playing it with the wife on Saturday. It's a nice starter to get back into the game and improves the short game no end.