Par Three Courses

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If the Powers that Be are serious about getting youngsters into the game, this is where they need to be looking.
Kids can't play on the full course, they don't hit the ball far enough to carry hazards and there can't be much fun taking 10 on a par 4 simply because you can't hit the ball more than 7& yards.
Produce short par 3 courses, get the kids playing on them and get them to fall in love with the game.
Then, when they're bigger and stronger, they can graduate to the full course....
Simples!

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Shame it’s closed now,but used to enjoy the Knighton course at Canford Magna in Dorset

Yep that was a great course to play.

I am a member at Sturminster Marshall Golf Club. It's a 9 hole course, 4 par 3 and 5 par 4's. Great little course, really helps the short game. Play there with my son who is now 11. It's the prefect course for him to learn the game. Longest hole is 300 yards. He plays off 27 now. This summer we played some Bulbury Woods and Wareham to give him a feel for longer courses (also played Dudsbury which is a lot longer). Sturminster has 120 junior members and is great place to learn to play golf.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a small part of me that enjoys a tight little par three 9 hole course that I can whizz around in an hour more than 18 holes of par 72, particularly when I am by myself.

Quality of holes and variety of shots required is important here, but I do find them fun in a way full courses are not sometimes.

This is a big thing in America that a lot of country clubs will have par 3 courses. Very big influence in getting kids and ladies involved in golf.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you are in the West Midlands area there is an excellent 18 hole par 3 course near Codsall (the Levene). 18 holes from £5. It also has a driving range. There is a 9 hole par 3 at Kingswinford, also with a driving range and the course from £5. Both are well kept and should be in good condition all year.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
If you are in the West Midlands area there is an excellent 18 hole par 3 course near Codsall (the Levene). 18 holes from £5. It also has a driving range. There is a 9 hole par 3 at Kingswinford, also with a driving range and the course from £5. Both are well kept and should be in good condition all year.

I use the driving range at 3 Hammers in Featherstone and they have an eighteen hole par 3 course which is pretty good, some of the holes are very short (think the shortest is 60ish yards) but the bunkers are pretty good quality and you can get round all 18 in ninety minutes.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
one of the guys in our roll up has been and played it as described it as exactly that "a bit of a field"
Unlike (almost?) every other course in the world, Augusta was designed for the 1 Championship a year and with a Club/Membership attached, as opposed to the usual other way around. Removing the grandstands from around the greens, certainly makes that 'bit of a field' very apt.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I used to play an 18 hole par 3 course but the council took its popularity to mean it needed to be changed to a 9 hole course with a mix of par 3s and par 4s. It took a while to modify it and not too long to realise that it was not popular in that guise. It closed in 1999

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the Powers that Be are serious about getting youngsters into the game, this is where they need to be looking.
Kids can't play on the full course, they don't hit the ball far enough to carry hazards and there can't be much fun taking 10 on a par 4 simply because you can't hit the ball more than 7& yards.
Produce short par 3 courses, get the kids playing on them and get them to fall in love with the game.
Then, when they're bigger and stronger, they can graduate to the full course....
Simples!

It’s not even like they take a lot of space either! Or cost that much to run. The course near me.. has 9 holes currently built (highlighted in blue below) 18 further holes being built (the obvious none grassy bit of the pic) then a driving range (red bit) and finally the yellow bit which is around the range side and back is a brilliant par 3 course. £7.50 for 9 holes or £10 for a day ticket or £195 for a year (free for members of the big course)

Tbh I love it there.. if I go range I don’t bother I just go the 9 hole

Attachments

• 99A6EF1F-F1DA-4CF8-B525-E58B66BC37D4.jpeg
    99A6EF1F-F1DA-4CF8-B525-E58B66BC37D4.jpeg
    822.3 KB · Views: 8