Par competition and handicap reduction.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just wanted to check something about handicap calculation when playing par/bogey comps.

I played one last night and scored 74 - 5 = 69. CSS was 71. In a normal medal (or Stableford) I would have been cut 0.2.

I was only 1 up against the course and have been cut by 0.1.

Is this correct or should the Stableford reduction style of cut still come into effect?

Thanks.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your total strokes, your medal score, are totally irrelevant

You're handicap is adjusted against what you score in the format of the comp of that day
I know this, as it happened to me at a previous course, playing same par/bogey comp format

Frustrating.....

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes that’s correct

For bogey comps they use a conversion chart which is simply -

1 up = 37 points
2 up = 38 points

And then it’s all in relation to CSS so if Par is CSS it will be .1 reduction for 1 up

Etc think it’s appendix d in the Congu manual

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone care to explain in real simple terms what Par/Bogey golf is?

I've had a look online and can't make much sense of it. Seems it crosses with a Stableford scoring system?

If its a game which you can play alone it may be of interest as I do on occasion play alone in the evening and if this can add a competitive edge it may be ideal!

Thanks in advance!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone care to explain in real simple terms what Par/Bogey golf is?

I've had a look online and can't make much sense of it. Seems it crosses with a Stableford scoring system?
Bogey/par is matchplay against the course, where the course always pars every hole. So to win a hole you need a net birdie. If you get a net bogey (which would score you 1 stableford point), it's just a loss of hole.

So a double bogey is no worse than a single bogey, and a net eagle is just a waste. (I once saw a guy get an albatross - hole in one on a short par 4 - in a bogey comp. It still only counted as one hole won, but cost him in the bar!)

D

Deleted member 3432

Just wanted to check something about handicap calculation when playing par/bogey comps.

I played one last night and scored 74 - 5 = 69. CSS was 71. In a normal medal (or Stableford) I would have been cut 0.2.

I was only 1 up against the course and have been cut by 0.1.

Is this correct or should the Stableford reduction style of cut still come into effect?

Thanks.

Sounds like you have been well shafted by the rules...

I certainly won't be playing another bogey comp any time soon.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bogey/par is matchplay against the course, where the course always pars every hole. So to win a hole you need a net birdie. If you get a net bogey (which would score you 1 stableford point), it's just a loss of hole.

So a double bogey is no worse than a single bogey, and a net eagle is just a waste. (I once saw a guy get an albatross - hole in one on a short par 4 - in a bogey comp. It still only counted as one hole won, but cost him in the bar!)

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

This is why I dislike handicap adjustments for bogey comps, you could in theory be 9 better or worse than handicap and come in with a 0