England Golf Scorecard Query

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Just logged into EG website as I was surprised to receive a small cut from my weekends round. Spotted the following which has confused me slightly. Any clarification is welcomed!

Stableford Comp
Playing Handicap of 10
Hole 5 par 4 with SI 7 where I ended up picking up.

My score entry on EG is *(5) noted in black (indicating dbl bogey or more). It isn't.

I've essentially been adjusted to bogey despite failing to return a score. Is this correct? I thought this should be adjusted to 6 for nett double bogey

D

Deleted member 23270

I believe it is adjusted to the lowest score that you would NOT score any points with ie. a par 4 with no shot it would be a 6

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just logged into EG website as I was surprised to receive a small cut from my weekends round. Spotted the following which has confused me slightly. Any clarification is welcomed!

Stableford Comp
Playing Handicap of 10
Hole 5 par 4 with SI 7 where I ended up picking up.

My score entry on EG is *(5) noted in black (indicating dbl bogey or more). It isn't.

I've essentially been adjusted to bogey despite failing to return a score. Is this correct? I thought this should be adjusted to 6 for nett double bogey
What did you actually enter into the system to indicate that you hadn't completed the hole? Which app/system did you use?
Different apps/systems have different conventions to indicate 'hole not started' and 'hole not completed'.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
What did you actually enter into the system to indicate that you hadn't completed the hole? Which app/system did you use?
Different apps/systems have different conventions to indicate 'hole not started' and 'hole not completed'.

Will check the entry once the club issue the results on HDID. Usually just skip the hole on HDID score entry to indicate no return on the hole.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Will check the entry once the club issue the results on HDID. Usually just skip the hole on HDID score entry to indicate no return on the hole.
There's another thread somewhere about this but HDID has blank and zero to differentiate between NS and NF (but I can't remember which).

wjemather

Visit site
Skipping past the hole on the PSI/HDID tells the system that you didn't play the hole rather than didn't score on it - I queried the logic of allowing this to happen without confirmation with the system provider but just got advised to remind members to enter their scores correctly!

Anyway, in order to enter the score correctly for a hole started but not completed (i.e. NR, blob, pick-up, DNF, etc.), you need to enter a "0" (zero) and the system will prompt to confirm what needs to be submitted.

In order to correct any scores that have already been submitted, you will need to contact your handicap committee.

NB: HDID results show a "0" (zero) regardless of what is submitted for handicapping.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IG uses NS for hole not started and NR for a hole started but not finished. We have had a lot of players use NS (incorrectly) when it should be NR.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Skipping past the hole on the PSI/HDID tells the system that you didn't play the hole rather than didn't score on it - I queried the logic of allowing this to happen without confirmation with the system provider but just got advised to remind members to enter their scores correctly!

Anyway, in order to enter the score correctly for a hole started but not completed (i.e. NR, blob, pick-up, DNF, etc.), you need to enter a "0" (zero) and the system will prompt to confirm what needs to be submitted.

In order to correct any scores that have already been submitted, you will need to contact your handicap committee.

NB: HDID results show a "0" (zero) regardless of what is submitted for handicapping.

Yes, I found it as you say in first para. Re second para, I found putting 0 so confusing ! If there was a blob, just put in a score that would mean no points.

This old dinosaur often thinks back to the good old days- complete your card, blobs and all, sign it and put it in the box. Then go and have a drink. Job done?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I can now remember the HDID 'rule'.
Not started - blank = no entry relevant
Not completed - 0 = no meaningful score

I wonder why IG didn't use NC for not completed.

wjemather

Visit site

HDID isn't quite that way since entering a zero results in a prompt to confirm played/not played.
ClubV1 uses DNP and NR for display purposes (not for score entry though - requests for such intuitive buttons on the PSI/MSI systems have been dismissed).

Does any system use NC?

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
For our system to record a nett double bogey for an uncompleted hole you enter zero for the score and then select "Played but did not score" for the option.

If you select the other option, something like "Did not score" then it does as the OP describes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I wish they had used NC for a hole not commenced would have avoided confusion with some players seeing NS as no score.

I reckon everybody knows what NR means so why change something that everybody knows.

wjemather

Visit site
I wish they had used NC for a hole not commenced would have avoided confusion with some players seeing NS as no score.

I reckon everybody knows what NR means so why change something that everybody knows.
Rulefan suggests NC = Not Completed, you suggest NC = Not Commenced. So NC would be no less ambiguous than NS (Not Started/Not Scored)!!

I disagree and suspect that, if asked what an NR meant, a significant proportion (if not majority) of golfers would come up with something in relation to a (medal) round score rather than simply a hole score (in any format).

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rulefan suggests NC = Not Completed, you suggest NC = Not Commenced. So NC would be no less ambiguous than NS (Not Started/Not Scored)!!

I disagree and suspect that, if asked what an NR meant, a significant proportion (if not majority) of golfers would come up with something in relation to a (medal) round score rather than simply a hole score (in any format).

I was mainly referring to the options on a score input screen or phone app.
When asked what the 2 buttons/options on the screen mean most would get the NR one right.

wjemather

Visit site
Yes and I have known some hit NS for all holes played.

Which is nothing really to do with the points being made.
Of course it is. Many if not most people would not differentiate between the hole they actually NRed and subsequent holes they didn't play due to the prior association of NR with a round score - to them all those holes are "NR".

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I inadvertently chose 18 holes on HOWDIDIDO instead of 9 when attempting to put in a General Play card on Sunday, only noticing my mistake when inputting my scores.

I also lost two balls under leaves on holes 4 and 7 - and recorded them as "Played but did not Score"

I also had to enter Holes not started for the back 9.

My score did not appear on MyEG.

On querying with our handicap sec. this was the response : " In my opinion and that of the immediate past handicap sec you must complete all Nine holes of a nine hole card. If you play ten or more then there is leeway as you suggest but Valid reasons include, bad light / weather course maintenance, injury or illness. This seems to be confirmed by England golf website but am happy to look elsewhere if you have a reference?"