England Golf Scorecard Query

wjemather

Visit site
I inadvertently chose 18 holes on HOWDIDIDO instead of 9 when attempting to put in a General Play card on Sunday, only noticing my mistake when inputting my scores.

I also lost two balls under leaves on holes 4 and 7 - and recorded them as "Played but did not Score"

I also had to enter Holes not started for the back 9.

My score did not appear on MyEG.

On querying with our handicap sec. this was the response : " In my opinion and that of the immediate past handicap sec you must complete all Nine holes of a nine hole card. If you play ten or more then there is leeway as you suggest but Valid reasons include, bad light / weather course maintenance, injury or illness. This seems to be confirmed by England golf website but am happy to look elsewhere if you have a reference?"
ClubV1 (the backend system for HowDidiDo) does not send 18 hole scores through to WHS when fewer than 10 holes have been started (oddly, it does send 9 hole scores when fewer than 9 have been started!) which is why your score does not appear on MyEG.

As you accidently chose the wrong course when pre-registering, your handicap secretary should simply accept this and enter your 9-hole score for you.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
ClubV1 (the backend system for HowDidiDo) does not send 18 hole scores through to WHS when fewer than 10 holes have been started (oddly, it does send 9 hole scores when fewer than 9 have been started!) which is why your score does not appear on MyEG.

As you accidently chose the wrong course when pre-registering, your handicap secretary should simply accept this and enter your 9-hole score for you.

He's refusing to enter the score because I did not complete two holes!

His messages to me state :"In which case it does not comply. to enter a nine hole card you must complete nine holes" & "In my opinion and that of the immediate past handicap sec you must complete all Nine holes of a nine hole card. If you play ten or more then there is leeway as you suggest but Valid reasons include, bad light / weather course maintenance, injury or illness. This seems to be confirmed by England golf website but am happy to look elsewhere if you have a reference ?"

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

His messages to me state :"In which case it does not comply. to enter a nine hole card you must complete nine holes" & "In my opinion and that of the immediate past handicap sec you must complete all Nine holes of a nine hole card. If you play ten or more then there is leeway as you suggest but Valid reasons include, bad light / weather course maintenance, injury or illness. This seems to be confirmed by England golf website but am happy to look elsewhere if you have a reference ?"

sounds like your handicap secretary doesn't really understand it. You attempted to play 9 holes, lost 2 balls and so you couldn't complete them so they go down as nett double bogey.

From the handicapping manual: My Document (englandgolf.org)

2.2b
For a 9-hole Score For a 9-hole score to be acceptable for handicap purposes, all 9 holes must be played.

If a player has not played at least 9 holes, the score is not acceptable for handicap purposes.

A hole is considered to have been played if it has been started

Key bit in bold right there.....

Kennysarmy

Visit site
sounds like your handicap secretary doesn't really understand it. You attempted to play 9 holes, lost 2 balls and so you couldn't complete them so they go down as nett double bogey.

From the handicapping manual: My Document (englandgolf.org)

2.2b For a 9-hole Score For a 9-hole score to be acceptable for handicap purposes, all 9 holes must be played.

If a player has not played at least 9 holes, the score is not acceptable for handicap purposes.

A hole is considered to have been played if it has been started

Key bit in bold right there.....

That's exactly what I need to go back to him and ask for a re-think.

Thanks

wjemather

Visit site

Sorry, I misread/misunderstood that bit. As Wabinez says, your handicap sec is wrong.

For a 9-hole score to be acceptable, all 9 holes must be started - there is no requirement to complete them, other than attempting to make the best score possible (up to nett double bogey).
For an 18-hole score to be acceptable, a minimum of 10-holes must have been started (as above) but the reason for not starting any remaining holes must be valid.

Swango1980

Visit site

What a bizarre thing for your handicap secretary to think, and the immediate past handicap secretary he keeps leaning on. Do they both find it logical to believe that anytime a player registers for 9 holes, they will never have a blow up hole? Will they demand players, who register for a 9 hole round, continue to play a hole and eventually tap the ball in for a 27, instead of just blobbing it?

wjemather

Visit site
Reply is: "Thanks I have sought an opinion from Gloucestershire golf union will let you know"

Exciting :)
Another thing to note... I get the impression that your club only has one handicap secretary - there should be a minimum of three people on the handicap committee.