Par 3s... Brain v Brawn?

D

Deleted member 15344

Hit whatever you feel you need to be able to give you the score you want on that hole

Thankfully I'm able to reach most par threes I have played and wouldn't ever feel the need to lay up - I may drop short at times if I don't connect well.

Seen players lay up on par 3s and then get up and down for a 3 but also get a 4 and be happy

But think a par 3 should be a hole that encourages people to attack and go for the pins

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hit whatever you feel you need to be able to give you the score you want on that hole

Thankfully I'm able to reach most par threes I have played and wouldn't ever feel the need to lay up - I may drop short at times if I don't connect well.

Seen players lay up on par 3s and then get up and down for a 3 but also get a 4 and be happy

But think a par 3 should be a hole that encourages people to attack and go for the pins

I think you have summed up my thoughts on a par 3 in the bold

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know this makes scene, and sometimes some of my pars on long par 3's have come when my tee shot was duffed then a simple wedge in and a putt saw a par, where as ending up in a bad spot going for it can be a double.

I'm not sure I would lay up though

Would you ever lay up on a par 5 if you had 230 to go with your second shot and there was trouble around the green?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As I said most people won't par these monster par 3's If you can park the ego and play sensibly and ensure no worse than a bogey you might make a good putt for par and that's almost gaining a shot, perhaps two on most of the field. Many will go with the big stick and make worse than bogey so I think as long as you've a plan and stick to it.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think you have summed up my thoughts on a par 3 in the bold

Just have to look at the Par 3's at Augusta - tough and tempting for the players

Woburn Marquess has tempting par threes

Want too see players firing at the pins

230 par threes for amateurs are just a waste

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'd love to see you attack the pin on the 17th at RAGC when it's back right.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, now it's a par 4, same 2nd shot. Same answer?

Haha, great question.:thup:

I have to admit I have no problem laying up on a par 4 with a well protected green from 200 yards and sometimes less. I would also say doing this has helped me get my handicap to my lowest point as I normally quite fancy my chances of getting up and down and know worst case it is a bogey.

I would also add as mentioned earlier that I think a par three should challenge a player to attack the pin

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How far is it ?

218 yards off the whites. OB left (in play as it pinches in closer the nearer you get to the green and is only ten yards to the left at green level) and a deep bunker right and a slightly shallower one left. Green slopes right to left and front to back and so anything missing right has a near impossible pitch to hold and stop. All that and SI 13

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have laid up out the back of our 210 yard par 3.

I hit a half cutty driver out the back as to avoid the ditch and big tree that overhangs near the green. messed up too many times in comps so fancied myself getting up and down from out the back or bogey at worst.

D

Deleted member 15344

217 to the middle. Back right is behind a bunker with the green sloping Right to left

So at that distance it's not really a par 3 set up for amateurs to attack. So it's a waste really.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So at that distance it's not really a par 3 set up for amateurs to attack. So it's a waste really.

It's not a hole for even the single figures to attach especially with OB so close left and a really hard shot for anything missing right especially if that means going over a bunker. Not a great hole but you still have to make a score there. I don't get a shot so will take four and run every time

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have to admit I have no problem laying up on a par 4 with a well protected green from 200 yards and sometimes less. I would also say doing this has helped me get my handicap to my lowest point as I normally quite fancy my chances of getting up and down and know worst case it is a bogey

Im glad to hear it.

So..... Same shot from the tee on a par 3? ;) :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I laid up on all the par 4's over 400 yards at the GM Centenary Final and made something like 11/12 points on those particular holes. I could have taken on the shot with a fairway wood but the risks didn't seem worth it. I stuck to the plan even when I nailed a drive and arguably maybe should have gambled at that point and it took a lot of mental strength to bunt a mid iron into wedge territory but I trusted my pitching and putting.

If the risk on a 200+ yard par 3 wasn't conducive to take it on then why not leave a simpler and safer second shot in and trust the short game (which we all work on ;)) to get a cast iron bogey and maybe a par and steal a march on the field

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I laid up on all the par 4's over 400 yards at the GM Centenary Final and made something like 11/12 points on those particular holes. I could have taken on the shot with a fairway wood but the risks didn't seem worth it. I stuck to the plan even when I nailed a drive and arguably maybe should have gambled at that point and it took a lot of mental strength to bunt a mid iron into wedge territory but I trusted my pitching and putting.

If the risk on a 200+ yard par 3 wasn't conducive to take it on then why not leave a simpler and safer second shot in and trust the short game (which we all work on ;)) to get a cast iron bogey and maybe a par and steal a march on the field

So how often do you (intentionally) lay up on your first hole?