Par 3s... Brain v Brawn?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone played at Dartmouth? The 18th is a massive downhill par 3 over water and is 244 yards off the tips. First time i played there it was into wind and off the yellows i still required a driver to get there.

For those of you that know the course, one of our left handed society members hit a massive slice that day and his ball ended up on the practice putting green.:confused:

The 7th is also a monster, 237 yards uphill (back tees) with a green that is well protected by trees and bunkers. There is also a pond just in front of the tee box, not really in play but can get in your head if you are swinging badly.

Last edited:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting that we're pretty well split on this issue.

As I have already stated, I don't like them. However the many comments, in particular those ignoring a hole's individual par in favour of concentrating on the overall 18, have given me a totally different perspective, or will at least be quite a help to my mindset, next time I'm faced with playing one.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That is soon followed up with the par 3 4th at 242 yards. Sandwiched in-between is the 3rd, a par 4 of 469 yards. As tough a start as you will find anywhere. At least the second is only just over 300 yards. :)

Yes, and is bizzare given the course only totals 5,500 yd or so - with the start you think you've taken on a 7,000 monster!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, and is bizzare given the course only totals 5,500 yd or so - with the start you think you've taken on a 7,000 monster!

Played there in a Bournemouth Alliance event once, and on the first hole the pro (Jon Bevan) knocked his tee shot with a driver to a couple of inches.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Imo I would agree with the OP and say anything over 200 is not good. I played a course in North Wales call Hawarden and I think it's the 6th. Big down hill, par 3 90 to the front and 115 to the backend its a hilltop green with surrounding bunkers. Very tricky although very short, now that's more challenging for a par 3 imo.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Beckenham has 2 par 3's over 230 yards!
the 5th is 247, up hill to a 2 tier green sloping towards you and is usually into the wind!
the 10th is only 230 and is slightly down hill.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Anyone played at Dartmouth? The 18th is a massive downhill par 3 over water and is 244 yards off the tips. First time i played there it was into wind and off the yellows i still required a driver to get there.

For those of you that know the course, one of our left handed society members hit a massive slice that day and his ball ended up on the practice putting green.:confused:

The 7th is also a monster, 237 yards uphill (back tees) with a green that is well protected by trees and bunkers. There is also a pond just in front of the tee box, not really in play but can get in your head if you are swinging badly.

Rite on my doorstep but I've never been around it, I know the "head greenie" as I'm also in the trade, have you ever been to "Bigbury GC" I work and play there !...:thup:

ps, I'll go for brawn over brains every time !...:D

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The 18th at my track is 225 yards, uphill and has a bunker on other side to catch anything that's runs up. I rarely make 3.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played at Blackmoor again on Wednesday and the 6th (blob) and 15th (1 point) done me in again.
New irons are working well though....long with an 8 iron on the 9th. I used to have to hit a 7 iron up there!
:D

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Most courses have 4x par 3's. Why can't one of them be 230yds, ideally with a larger green? I wouldn't be a fan of a course with 4x par 3's, all of which were between 150 & 180. I want to be tested right through the bag in a round.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most courses have 4x par 3's. Why can't one of them be 230yds, ideally with a larger green? I wouldn't be a fan of a course with 4x par 3's, all of which were between 150 & 180. I want to be tested right through the bag in a round.

This ^^^^^

I think folk get too hung up with the par number. Which is probably down to that awful stableford mindset.

Regardless of length or what the hole par is, the objective remains the same - ball in hole ASAP.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We have 4 x par 3's, the first you come to is the 5th (si16), a gentle downhill 179yds drive down an avenue of trees with greenside bunkers left & right. The next par 3 is our 7th, a very tricky 148yds (si18) through some very tight and tall trees which flank a very deep bomb hole with a pond which is at least 100yds carry to the front bunker and then there are left & right greenside bunkers. The third par 3 is our 15th (si5), another downward 219yd drive, trees left & right, bunkers 30yds short right and greenside bunkers left & right, a more narrow green and target. The last of our par 3's is the 17th which has been mentioned in Jacks book of his greatest par 3's, its 191yds (si9) driving to a 2-tier raised green, its tight & flanked all the way by trees, the green is raised so anything left or right is an awkward/delicate chip, greenside bunkers left & right, if you ask the members what's the toughest hole on the course, most will say either our par 5 16th or this tough par 3 17th, our last 6 finishing holes are all tough from the back stones.

G

guest100718

nothing wrong with a 200 plus yd par 3. It makes for a good challenge.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Regardless of length or what the hole par is, the objective remains the same - ball in hole ASAP.

A previous club pro, and I think Bobmac, have said pretty much the same thing. Par is an arbitrary number. Your aim is to score as low as possible. It might mean a 4 on a difficult par 3, but it might be a 3 on an easy par 4... its the total at the end of the round that is the important figure.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I like variety in par 3's. We have five, and I will usually hit five different clubs for my tee shots. Second shots are usually the same though, sand iron.:(