Par 3s... Brain v Brawn?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just playing devil's advocate...

Anyone who has to hit 'heavy artillery' (I'm assuming that means driver or 3 wood) on a par 3 is likely to be getting a shot on it.

If the 'brain' approach is better than the 'brawn' one surely they'll use their shot wisely and put the driver back in the bag?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our course has 4 par 3s. The 1st hole is 170 yards and is a testing first hit. The 11th is 150 yards downhill and can be a challenge with a short iron. The other two are just horrendous. 225 yards into the wind and 230 yards up hill. I am a big hitter but have just bought a hybrid purely to deal with these two holes when the wind is playing up. I don't want to play target golf where they are all 110-150 yards but the course is full of opportunities to muscle up, par 3s are about playing clever, not big hitting.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Anyone who has to hit 'heavy artillery' (I'm assuming that means driver or 3 wood) on a par 3 is likely to be getting a shot on it.

If the 'brain' approach is better than the 'brawn' one surely they'll use their shot wisely and put the driver back in the bag?

The 240 yard par 3 I mentioned is SI 16 (just checked). SI doesn't relate to difficulty.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 240 yard par 3 I mentioned is SI 16 (just checked). SI doesn't relate to difficulty.

I was just trying to put an opposing view forward, maybe badly.

I think people put too much emphasis on 'par'.
240 to go on a par 5 with trouble around the green and they'll lay up and leave themselves an easy pitch.
Same shot on a par 3 and they feel they have to try to get on the green.

D

Deleted member 15344

SI doesn't really or shouldn't be configured to match difficulty - your par 3's should be mid to high

If the starting hole then it shouldn't be any lower than SI9

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have one longish one. 208 on the card but can play up to about 220 with the tee at the back and then pin at the back too.
Prevailing wind goes right to left but sometimes its right into your face.
Slightly downhill, I have been known to drop a 6 iron short in summer and let it run on and I've hit 5 wood in winter. Often the safest play is to drop short. There's mounding all around the green but a nice flat run up from the front that leaves a fairly straightforward chip. Go for it and miss left or right and you'll do well to get up and down.
SI 7 so I get a shot too.
Strangely, since I went up to 7 and started getting a shot on it I've taken 3 more often than not...

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Our longest is 205 si16.
I like it, it's a good 3/4 iron in the winter and 5 sometimes 6 in the summer.

Our other 2 are both 150/160 but have far more hazards so a good mix.

Take a 3 and run though :)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

We have a par 3 which, with the pin at the back, is near enough 220 yards, often playing into the prevailing wind. I've aced it with a 7 iron and come up short with driver, and it's SI 8.

A ludicrous card wrecker of a hole in my opinion. Give me a strategic 150 yard par 3 any day of the week.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
None of our par 3's are overly long all being between 150 and 190 yards. All are 'protected' by a combination of smart bunkering and the terrain - two tier greens, big slopes and banks which maybe either shaven or claggy. So players of all abilities can reach the trouble around the green and hitting the wrong part of the green can make a three putt likely. Factor in the wind which can turn a 6 iron shot into a driver you have a good formula for keeping interest up for everyone.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

240 to go on a par 5 with trouble around the green and they'll lay up and leave themselves an easy pitch.

I agree you need to think it through and apply some course management but 240 yards on a par 3 for club females? Ridiculous hole.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll nail my colours to the mast.

I'm no fan of the 200 and stupid yard par 3s that we see so many of nowadays. There are plenty of times during a round when it's necessary to open your shoulders and rip it, but for me not on a Par 3.

I see them as a mental challenge and ideally played with a mid to short iron, and if the course designer has done their job correctly they should be no less daunting than a big ignorant slosh with the heavy artillery.

We have 4 on our home track none over 175 yards and they're all tricky for a variety of reasons

I realise of course, as with everything in life, and indeed golf, there are two sides to this coin and I'm just wondering what others think on this subject.

I'm the same as you. At the course i play regularly, Leckford Old, there are two cracking par 3's. The first is 150-160 yards over a valley but if you miss the green you are either playing up the slope, from the bunker or from above the bunker to a narrow green. The other is about 175 yards, downhill to a triangular shaped green surrounded by half a dozen bunkers. There's plenty of room either side if you miss green and bunkers but you'll be left with a devilish shot! Two great holes, one's a 9 iron, the other an 8 iron for me but they are a fabulous test.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site

For me it's not so much about how to play the hole - as in my own case (12hcp) I play long 'uns where I get a shot but many others where I don't get one.

It's more about a test of skill and accuracy and overall course design. If I know I can't, or I will struggle to reach, I'll play the percentage but I always feel that very the long ones (220 yds + etc.) are more of a modern trend and I just don't like them very much.

They often (but not always) seem to be included in a layout because that bit of land is featureless and a bit bland and there's not enough yardage to make a decent Par 4

Last edited:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally par 3s that are 125 and shorter surrounded by bunkers are the most fun to play.

I would have to agree. Although that could be nostalgia with me as I got the bug for the game as a youngster on a gorgeous little Par 3 nine hole track half way up a mountain. None of the holes were longer than 140 yards and a lot were around the 100 mark.

Ah...happy handicapless days!;)

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have to agree. Although that could be nostalgia with me as I got the bug for the game as a youngster on a gorgeous little Par 3 nine hole track half way up a mountain. None of the holes were longer than 140 yards and a lot were around the 100 mark.

Ah...happy handicapless days!;)

Is that local? Sounds an interesting course! Not enough par 3 courses around in my opinion.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that local? Sounds an interesting course! Not enough par 3 courses around in my opinion.

No, it was back in Ireland when I was a lad. Sadly it's gone now but when I sometimes can't sleep I'll plot my way around it still. Long time ago now but I can picture every hole in its every detail.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I USUALLY love a good long par 3. SOMETIMES get a shot (but I will take a 4 whatever) and often has a nice place to lay up so I can chip it close (playing to my strengths) as I am crap at anything over a 5 iron.

I see long par 3s as a chance for me to get one up on those who bite off more than they can chew without dropping a shot to those who play the hole well.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

you tried - and i agree 100% with you :)

however, it crosses over with the often stated view by many on here that only the white tees count etc etc etc....

the reality is that to enjoy your golf you should (be able to in FD's case) play from a set of tees that are best suited to your capabilities.

unfortunately -

1. we don't have them in the UK much (although some of the newer courses do)
2. the same thing that stops people taking a 7 iron of the tee to a par 3 they haven't a hope of reaching would prevent them using the correct tees if available
3. if they did use them they would get laughed at by many on here when presenting their success.

shame really - it's a game to enjoy

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a 232 yard par 3 at our course, oh and its uphill all the way from the tee box to the green !! Most people can't make it to the green with the driver.

Not my favourite hole if I'm honest !!!

dontfancythisputt

Club Champion
Visit site
I think there is a place for both short and long on the pro scene but it just seems wrong to be asking the average club playet to be hitting driver/3 wood on a par 3.

200/210 is a sensible limited in my view for the club golfer in normal playing conditions. I see this length as a short game test as I wont be hitting the green that often so need an up and down on most occasions.