Par 3s... Brain v Brawn?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take one of these monster par 3's and change the scorecard so it's now a short par 4.

The attitude of most golfers towards the hole would change, and I'd bet that well over 50% of golfers would play it differently.

Everyone is faced with the same course, and the object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes, not record most GIR's.

Maybe I'm just arguing because I fancy my chances of picking strokes up on the guys that shoot nett 61 in the monthly medal. :eek:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take one of these monster par 3's and change the scorecard so it's now a short par 4.

The attitude of most golfers towards the hole would change, and I'd bet that well over 50% of golfers would play it differently.

Everyone is faced with the same course, and the object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes, not record most GIR's.

Maybe I'm just arguing because I fancy my chances of picking strokes up on the guys that shoot nett 61 in the monthly medal. :eek:

Thing for me is Gary, most courses already have more than enough (too many) par 4s why then turn one of the few par 3s into yet another one? For me its about variety and I prefer the par 3s to be a different test, even if the longer ones tend to suit me more

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree with you and the original point you make. For me, bogey on a 200+ par three irrespective of getting a stroke or not isn't the end of the world and definitely not a show stopper in a medal. Most won't par it

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of may favourite par 3's is the 5th at Teign Valley in Devon. Only about 120 yards in length, so most players will be taking a wedge or short iron. The green is pencil thin and there is water down the left hand side of the green. Its a real knee-knocker as you think you should at least make a par but, more often than not, i failed to do so when i played it! The green is also longer than it looks on the tee so three putts are a possibility. A great hole that has a lot of subtlety.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have 2 at 198, a 164, a 150 and a 129. All with raised greens, all well bunkered, some with false fronts, all very double bogey-able and all great holes.

I think a lot of courses use long Par 3s to make them harder without having to be particularly creative about green design.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thing for me is Gary, most courses already have more than enough (too many) par 4s why then turn one of the few par 3s into yet another one? For me its about variety and I prefer the par 3s to be a different test, even if the longer ones tend to suit me more

I wasn't trying to suggest that courses should do that, just that people put too much emphasis on the par figure on the card when they decide how to play the hole.

Whether the best strategy for any particular golfer is to have a whack at the green or hit a 7 iron then wedge on shouldn't depend on a number printed on the card.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have two par 3's on our Hill course that in my opinion are a little silly, the second is a 220 yard par three which plays up hill with three bunkers front of the green and a big one back right of the green, most have to hit driver and do not get close it is such a bottle neck being the second.

Out 11th is a tough par three it is around 170 yards which is fine but has a tree in front of the green then a ten foot deep dip to the right giving the green entrance around 10 foot.

Always feel a par 3 over 200 yards is pushing it for most and does nothing but cause a bottle neck

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of courses use long Par 3s to make them harder without having to be particularly creative about green design.

Good point.

A good par 3 is a good par 3 regardless of length. I quite like the 2 long ones at Ascot, although maybe not having one of them as your first swing!
Theres also a cracking long par 3 at Burton.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasn't trying to suggest that courses should do that, just that people put too much emphasis on the par figure on the card when they decide how to play the hole.

Whether the best strategy for any particular golfer is to have a whack at the green or hit a 7 iron then wedge on shouldn't depend on a number printed on the card.

Indeed. David Toms made it work for him on the 72nd hole of the 2001 USPGA Championship.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have two par 3's on our Hill course that in my opinion are a little silly, the second is a 220 yard par three which plays up hill with three bunkers front of the green and a bi on back right of the green, most have to hit driver and do not get close it is such a bottle neck being the second.

Out 11th is a tough par three it is around 170 yards which is fine but has a tree in front of the green then a ten foot deep dip to the right giving the green entrance around 10 foot.

Always feel a par 3 over 200 yards is pushing it for most and does nothing but cause a bottle neck

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a bi? (This is a genuine question!)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

One of the guys I played with on Saturday told me he often thinks he should use his shot on the 15th at Blackmoor and hit 7i of the tee and leave himself with an easy Par 3; but macho pride always gets the better of him.

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think Forres has a 248 yard par 3!!

ah, the tradition in highland and islands..... I learnt here on Craignure, Mull.

it was then a 241 yd par 3, 3rd hole .... 140 yard carry to start.... in late 70's early 80's with 1.62" ball and blades/tiny persimmon woods.

I birdied every other hole on course by 15 yrs old, never even hit this green once,.....

Untitled.jpg

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd think about it if it was a ridiculous length, there was bunkers and / or water in front of the green and i would be struggling to reach said green. Sometimes you've got to play to your handicap, not the course par.

I know this makes scene, and sometimes some of my pars on long par 3's have come when my tee shot was duffed then a simple wedge in and a putt saw a par, where as ending up in a bad spot going for it can be a double.

I'm not sure I would lay up though

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are we contemplating laying up on a par 3?

I've done it before on the 17th at RAGC: kind of. I'd often hit a club that I knew wouldn't reach the bunkers but might just sneak onto the front of the green. The theory being that the chip was much easier from the front of the green than anywhere else.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've done it before on the 17th at RAGC: kind of. I'd often hit a club that I knew wouldn't reach the bunkers but might just sneak onto the front of the green. The theory being that the chip was much easier from the front of the green than anywhere else.

Maybe the problem I have here is i'm relating it too much to the second, as the hill is so steep at the front of the green you can roll back down where you cannot really see where the pin is, you may also have to go over bunkers to get on. I do really think it is a rubbish hole to be fair. Plays so much better off the yellows at around 170-180

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It all comes down to what score you end up putting on the card and i think there is an element of machismo/pride in people not wanting to lay-up.

I quite often take a 5 iron off of the tee rather than a driver or wood which some people see as heresy. I personally dont give a fig about what people think or say about how i play the game, its all about course management and what is the best chance of achieving a par or, at worst, a bogie.