Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes photos of people filling Jerry cans with fuel all over FB this morning. Whipping up a lynch mob hysteria.

Our head greenkeeper goes over the road every Friday to get the fuel, in cans, for all the clubs vehicles. Apparently he had right barny with some one over filling cans yesterday.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It doesn’t matter as in SIlH’s world everything is either due to Boris or brexit

Well, in the real world, [well known political issue] and [well known politician] are clearly implicated in this. Did I miss the triumphant Daily Fail news reports of queues for fuel in other parts of the EU? There aren't any because there is plenty of fuel, unlike in the 70s 3 day week, but [well known political issue] has caused a shortage of drivers in the UK. That is the proximate cause of the problem.

Supermarket shortages are multifactorial, but the same issue is clearly a large part of the problem. Check supermarket supplies to the EU, no shortages, even NI has better supplies than GB due to supplies from the ROI.

It ain't rocket science.

It is a real pity that many deny the evidence staring them in the face, though. That just means no action will be taken and further problems will occur.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I had to fill up today - running very low and I have hospital appointments during the coming week. No diesel anywhere so I took a punt on a motorway services about five miles away. No queues, no pumps out of action, but eye watering prices.

It was either that or run the risk of having to miss the appointments which may have the knock on of leading to surgery being cancelled.

D

Deleted member 18588

The government are planning to issue about 5000 temporary visas for HGV drivers. Sounds like a tacit admission of at least one factor contributing to the current shortages - in fuel and across other industries. But, yeah, blame the media.
Do tell me then who is responsible for panic buying? And who whipped them up?

There's no shortage of fuel and only two fuel companies who have been suffering extreme difficulties with their distribution.

There are a number of factors affecting there recruitment of drivers but if it suits you to pretend that it is attributable to our leaving the EU then good luck.

4LEX

Visit site
Fortunate to live a nice area that was devoid of panic buying during the pandemic, however the idiots panic buying fuel all over the country has damaged supply so badly that no petrol stations in the area have any fuel. If I can't get any tomorrow I'll have to miss work on Monday. Fuming doesn't begin to cover it. The actions of these people will create a shortage and everyone will fill the tanks even if they don't need it all, creating a bigger shortage.

D

Deleted member 15344

Multiple factors are contributing to the current issues of the empty shelves and petrol issue

Covid
Brexit
Stupidity of the people
Media
Government

There are a few things we can control - our own stupidity- ie don’t panic buy

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well as a relative of mine owns a logistics company I can only say that he doesn't find any interest among the younger generation to be trained as HGV drivers or other manual occupations.

No shortage of applicants for IT/admin positions regardless of many not having relevant qualifications or experience.
Think there’s an element of truth in this. Recent events should have woken people up to appreciate that not everyone can be “a professional”, there is disappointing disrespect in this country for key, manual workers, e.g the “at least I’m not stacking shelves in….”. Not helped, of course, by the wishes / targets of prominent leaders that 50% (now 66%) of students should go on to university. Daft idea.

D

Deleted member 18588

I'm only saying what the govt are doing. And what do you think "one factor contributing to" means? Are you suggesting it's completely irrelevant? Surely nobody believes that.
Some effect yes but far more to do with test backlogs, ageing workforce with more retirees than recruits, disenchantment of many with pay, conditions and lifestyle.

Of those foreign drivers who have returned home some always intended to, some went due to COVID, and some due to uncertainties as a result of Brexit.

However, that wouldn't explain the shortage of drivers on the continent.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some effect yes but far more to do with test backlogs, ageing workforce with more retirees than recruits, disenchantment of many with pay, conditions and lifestyle.

Of those foreign drivers who have returned home some always intended to, some went due to COVID, and some due to uncertainties as a result of Brexit.

I agree.

There is also the reality that as a country our industries have been lazy and tight regarding training new staff. They have relied for many years on an inexhaustible number of low paid immigrants to do the work, this has suppressed wages and conditions. They need to stick their hands in their pockets and start training new people, it's not as if they haven't had any warning. This goes for Drivers, tradespeople, medical staff and so on. Years back it was always worthwhile learning a trade as it would lead to a secure well paid career.

4LEX

Visit site
Think there’s an element of truth in this. Recent events should have woken people up to appreciate that not everyone can be “a professional”, there is disappointing disrespect in this country for key, manual workers, e.g the “at least I’m not stacking shelves in….”. Not helped, of course, by the wishes / targets of prominent leaders that 50% (now 66%) of students should go on to university. Daft idea.

University is a false economy unless you really need it. The majority of uni students see it as a right of passage to spend 3/4 years getting smashed away from home. They haven't got a clue what they want to do when they leave uni. Uni places for the young should be massively cut and more given to mature students, who through life experience know exactly what they want from a degree.

I know more tradesman earning 100k plus than anyone who got a standard degree to work in Admin, HR or basic finance.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

The biggest contributor to drivers shortage is retirement then EU drivers going home then ir35 and despite there being a EU wide shortage of HGV drivers some people can only see one reason for the “crisis”. They just can’t help themselves. It’s always there just below the surface.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just speaking to a mate who at the pumps today was approached by the lady in front who asked him why the pump kept clicking when she had only put £6 in.....

Whereas my fuel light came on this afternoon, I just tried to get fuel from Asda, Sainsbury's and 2 ESSOs and they're all sold out.

Next journey in the car has to be a guarantee of getting fuel quickly else I'll break down.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Tomorrow we have an 8 mile each way drive. What worries me is that we pass 2 or 3 petrol stations, both just before roundabouts. Should we add an hour for traffic to our planned time?
Google maps shows traffic in front of one of them right now.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tomorrow we have an 8 mile each way drive. What worries me is that we pass 2 or 3 petrol stations, both just before roundabouts. Should we add an hour for traffic to our planned time?
Google maps shows traffic in front of one of them right now.
The main road through our town was completely blocked today by people queueing both sides of the road at a Petrol Station.

D-S

Visit site
£6? And there you have it. :eek:
Well the good news is that at least it was only 4 or 5 litres, better than 24 or 48 toilet rolls. All she was doing was holding the next person up. However, doesn’t stop her being a muppet though.