Paired up

Visit site
Recently returned from a weekend at FoA with my father in law. We paid our not inexpensive green fee to enjoy the course. As we were a two ball, we were paired up with two members, a pair of (miserable) elderly gentlemen. It took the gloss of an otherwise excellent weekend.

Just wondered what other people thought of this practise, is it just corporate Marriott trying to make as much money as possible despite what it's customers think of the experience.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should have told them no. You paid your money it up to you. What would you have done if you only got to see your dad once every blue moon.

Visit site
It would have been nice to have been warned certainly. I guess it would have been ok of we'd been paired up with two gents with a shade more enthusiasm towards actually playing. Handicap is irrelevant in my eyes, I will play with whoever, but they spoiled what should have been an enjoyable round on an excellent course.

Does it happen anywhere else, or just a FoA/Marriott thing for corporate greed?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When we were there there were lots of two balls going out so I don't know its a corporate thing. Maybe with the limited daylight they try and get as many people out as they can. Personally if they were that miserable I'd have had little to do with them and enjoyed my dads company (wish I still had the chance)

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
bang otu of order,even if they were 2 lovely guys it shouldn't happen.you should of told them to stick it!!!

or contact them and kick up a stink...

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Not on imo !

Don't mind being paired up at my club regardless of whether I knew them or not.
If I'd paid for a round at another course with a friend/relative, I wouldn't want to be paired up with a couple of randomers. More-so if they were miserable old gits such as you were paired with.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have played loads in Florida, and have mainly been paired up. It maximises course usage. Most are out in fours, so a two would be held up (no one will let you through, it's your fault for being out as a two at a busy period).
I don't have an issue with it. Golf is a business, they need to maximise revenue. I have met some very nice guys being matched up. I expect it. Have always enjoyed it. Company is what you make of it. Golf without company might as well be down the driving range.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have played loads in Florida, and have mainly been paired up. It maximises course usage. Most are out in fours, so a two would be held up (no one will let you through, it's your fault for being out as a two at a busy period).
I don't have an issue with it. Golf is a business, they need to maximise revenue. I have met some very nice guys being matched up. I expect it. Have always enjoyed it. Company is what you make of it. Golf without company might as well be down the driving range.

In which case it takes two (pairs) to tango. You would have thought the two members in the OP would have a) known the rules and so expected to be paired up b) more hospitable to someone paying to play their course or c) to be half decent and made an effort to observe social niceties

DCB

Visit site
I agree with Murphs take on it. In a commercial environment an operator of a venue such as FoA is going to maximise tee times, especially at this time of year where it's a much shorter window of opportunity. There's probably only a 5 hour slot for starting and completing a round at a place like that at this time of year. Tee off at 1pm and you'd struggle to complete.

I've played at places in this country and had to pair up, it's not new, it's a result of our commercial operations, resort courses maximising their business that's all.

Try and pitch up at the old course and see if you can get a tee time for two as a visitor and see how they respond ;-)

Anders

Medal Winner
Visit site
At your own club I think you should be open to being paired up or joined by other members you don't know, it's part of being a member as far as I am concerned.

If you book at an away course, I don't see why the pro can't ask you when you book if you mind being paired up, or if you would rather play by yourselves.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Booked a tee time at the Belfry, where I was informed they use a fourball policy so we would more than likely be paired up.

Previously played there in a 3ball. so I expect the policy is not so much a fourball but no two balls..

I don't have a problem as long as I am warned when booking.

2fore1 vouchers have a disclaimer warning that pairing up might apply.

S

Snelly

I agree with Murph. Make the best of it. You get out what you put in with these situations in my view.

harvey4banger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If everyone infront of you are out in 4 balls, you might as well make a 4 ball, otherwise you'll be waiting around on every tee just getting frustrated

Plus you dont have to talk to the miserable old gits anyway

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
its a business with only a finite number of tee times, revenue has to be maximised for each time- very common in Spain/Portugal

However, not informing you was wrong, they need to manage peoples expectations and avoid disapointment or worse.

harvey4banger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Here's a bit of reverse psychology, we had a four ball booked at Royal Cinque ports, when we turned up they would only let us out as 2 balls, nice when your on tour with the lads