P790 or Mp MMC

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rumours circulating about a replacement Apex line in the Autumn.
Saw some pics earlier in the week but can't find them now.
If what they showed was the new Apex, it looks pretty interesting - like the X Forged but a slightly bigger cavity.
With the MB and X Forged already in the lineup, they may only introduce a single Apex that sits between them and the Rogue Pro...

these?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180704-192002.jpg
    Screenshot_20180704-192002.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 23

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well that’s put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Tried the P790 today, went like a dream with the stiff modus shaft.
The fitter said he’d never put me in the KBS shaft which the Mizzy fitter recommended.
Unfortunately the P770 which I fancied the look of has been discontinued because of the success of the P790.

Looking forward to trying the Callaways and then making a decision. All I know is everything seems to go better than my current setup.

How did you find the Carry launch and sip. Vs your current ap2 and mmc mate?

D

Deleted member 1147

Today was fitted using 7 iron rather than 6 yesterday.
Spin was slightly higher than my 7 iron, which is a Titleist CB, at 6,200. Carry was 10 yds further at 172.
The grouping was brilliant, very consistent.

The distance was in line with the Mizuno 6 iron yesterday, but spin much more like you’d hope for. That was 4,200ish, quite a bit below the aimed for club x 1,000.

D

Deleted member 1147

i think he's telling you porkies mate. the p770 is current. the belfry are still fitting and ordering them.

they are two very different irons too. spin is higher on the p770 but not as forgiving

He said the p770 is made in the same factory as the p790. But as the latter is so popular they are basically ceasing production so they can meet demand.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well that’s put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Tried the P790 today, went like a dream with the stiff modus shaft.
The fitter said he’d never put me in the KBS shaft which the Mizzy fitter recommended.
Unfortunately the P770 which I fancied the look of has been discontinued because of the success of the P790.

Looking forward to trying the Callaways and then making a decision. All I know is everything seems to go better than my current setup.

Thats the combination I ended up with after trying everything, very impressed :thup:

A lot of nice clubs around to be fair but these just felt a bit different and if I want I can hit them way up in the air (especially long irons) which is something I've always struggled to do really.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d heard some suggest the 790 doesn’t spin enough. But I hit it pretty hard and generate quite a bit so think it was ok for me. How do you find they spin?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’d heard some suggest the 790 doesn’t spin enough. But I hit it pretty hard and generate quite a bit so think it was ok for me. How do you find they spin?

No problem at all.

I play on a sand based course so rock hard at the moment and still able to stop it on greens as long as you are striking it well (which I know you do!) In that regard I've seen no difference from the bladed irons I played previously.

I've been really impressed with them, had my own concerns about spin etc but out on a course is a different animal than a monitor, they are so easy to hit low/high and the long irons are very easy to hit.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i couldn't get the p790 above 5500 with 91 mph ss

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180704-214545.jpg
    Screenshot_20180704-214545.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20180704-214632.jpg
    Screenshot_20180704-214632.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 15

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
i couldn't get the p790 above 5500 with 91 mph ss

With which iron, 7 i assume?

I was about 6,200 or 6,400 (slightly weakened loft from standard) but like I say a monitor is one thing and course is another, I've had zero issues with "low spin" over the last 8/9 months I've had them.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

I was about 6,200 or 6,400 (slightly weakened loft from standard) but like I say a monitor is one thing and course is another, I've had zero issues with "low spin" over the last 8/9 months I've had them.

yes 7 iron. i could live with anything above 6000

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Good to hear you’ve had no issues with spin ! Do you find they launch high then and that’s what allows them to stop? Have you seen much distance increase?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good to hear you’ve had no issues with spin ! Do you find they launch high then and that’s what allows them to stop? Have you seen much distance increase?

In terms of launch then I guess a standard shot is slightly higher but more down to how I swing in terms of hitting it higher or lower etc.

Even if I hit a low shot into a green they still stop (again assuming I hit it well and not out of thick rough etc)

Distance increase, perhaps a little in the longer irons (more that I can hit them higher and more consistently as a bit more forgiving than what I've used previously) but in the lower irons (7-PW) they aren't long really. I didn't want clubs that went crazy distances, more interested in consistency of distance.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
In terms of launch then I guess a standard shot is slightly higher but more down to how I swing in terms of hitting it higher or lower etc.

Even if I hit a low shot into a green they still stop (again assuming I hit it well and not out of thick rough etc)

Distance increase, perhaps a little in the longer irons (more that I can hit them higher and more consistently as a bit more forgiving than what I've used previously) but in the lower irons (7-PW) they aren't long really. I didn't want clubs that went crazy distances, more interested in consistency of distance.

I've just picked up my 790's and am finding much the same thing. Maybe half a club longer than my 714 AP2's in the short irons and a full club in the 5/6. They launch higher but not worryingly so. I've put Project X 6.0's in mine to drop the launch a touch over the C Tapers.
Can't really comment on the spin as the course is too damned hard ATM.

Really lovely feel from them though. I tested them against the AP3's and the feel/sound was much preferable to me.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
But, doesn't the P790 hit it about a club longer, due to stronger lofts and hot face, therefore for your normal 7 iron distance shouldn't you be comparing 8 iron spin?

if it's a club longer then i should be comparing it to a 6 iron and spin rate. hence 6000 and above being acceptable

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if it's a club longer then i should be comparing it to a 6 iron and spin rate. hence 6000 and above being acceptable

If for example you hit your current 7 iron 160 yards, then with the P790 you use an 8 iron to hit 160 yards, surely you should compare spin/descent angles for these two clubs for the distance hit?