Sub70 Golf - A superb Fitting Experience - UPDATE

The Fader

Visit site
Let me start by saying that I have no affilliation to the Sub70 brand and first discovered them whilst browsing the American GolfWRX forum. The feedback was almost exclusively positive about the club's quality and performance, customer service and pricing model which led me to investigate further.

The final deciding factor was the look of the clubs - the whole range of which look stunning - to my eyes at least.

As a result me and my 2 sons booked a fitting with the Sub70 UK operation at their studio in Hereford which took place this week.

I have to say we were blown away by the experience. From the communication, the welcome, to the state of the art Trackman, to the expertise, patience and knowledge of Nick, our fitter and Richard the business owner the day was brilliant. And then there was the small touches like swing tips and a bit of free coaching, refreshments and nibbles and a complimentary Sub70 gift.

Never before have we received such in depth analysis of our swings and game characteristics. Nothing was too much trouble for the Sub70 guys and they devoted almost 5 hours in total to the three fittings.

Lots of head options and a myriad of shafts were tried and tested as Nick sought to find the optimum combination to suit us individually. We all gained difference making distance and dispersion figures in comparison to our existing clubs.

All three of us came away with orders placed for a full set of custom fitted and custom built irons and wedges which should be delivered in the next couple of weeks.

At the moment it is really only irons and wedges but the woods and hybrids are on their way and I have no doubt we will be going back once they are.

And on top of all this, the price of the clubs made us smile even more. Around 50-60% of what you would expect to pay for "off the shelf" major brand clubs.

I can't recommend Richard, Nick and the Sub70 brand highly enough and if you are in the market for new clubs, put them on your radar. You will not be disappointed.

Happy to answer any questions about my experience.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree. Great company. Sent them my specs for a driving iron on the chat, got great advice, and the custom club then arrived quickly. Recommended.

The Fader

Visit site
What did you end up with?

Me - 699's 5 - aw with senior flex graffalloy prolaunch blue and black 54 and 58 degree wedges with KBS 90 regular (Age 55 HI 9.7)

Son 1 - 699 pro's 4 - pw with Project x 6.0 graphite shafts and raw 50, 54 (bent to 55) and 60 wedges in KBS tour 90 stiff (Age 30 HI 5.2)

Son 2 - 699 pro's 4 - pw with KBS tour 105 stiff and raw 50, 54 and 58 wedges same shaft (Age 28 HI 7.1)

Both sons desperately wanted the 639MB's and whilst there wasn't much to choose between these and the 699 pro's on good shots, the performance on off centre hits with the 699's was so much better. Got to believe the trackman numbers or no point getting fitted - so heads ruled hearts although with son 1 it was a very close run thing!!.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Nice! I would agree with son 1, I know alot of the lesser known brands often have really thin top line options that have loads of offset.. How did the 639s look in that regard? Its hard to tell on the website!

The Fader

Visit site
Nice! I would agree with son 1, I know alot of the lesser known brands often have really thin top line options that have loads of offset.. How did the 639s look in that regard? Its hard to tell on the website!

The 639's really are a thing of beauty. I would say topline is what you would expect from a blade type club. The off set is minimal.

The 699 Pro's are slightly thicker with slightly more off set - but both my son,s "miss" is the LHS but they weren't having trouble keeping either of the clubs straight

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting to know if anyone has any experience of these?

They seem good value but I had never heard of them before

The Fader

Visit site
Interesting to know if anyone has any experience of these?

They seem good value but I had never heard of them before

Neither had I until I came across this

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1591530-sub-70-clubs/

The Golfwrx members are usually a pretty demanding crowd and feedback is almost entirely positive

Once mine arrive and I've had chance to play them in real world conditions, I will post a brief update.

Reactions: MrC

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site

fade_away

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been playing Sub70 for the last two months (H I 9.0). Too far for a fitting but spent some time having an phone fitting. Not ideal but i was willing to give it a try. Richard and the whole teams customer service is fantastic.
Very forgiving and a lovely solid feel. I moved from Ping i200s and really enjoying the Sub70. The 699 Pro Utility iron is especially good and knocked a Ping g410 Hybrid out of my bag.
939X 15 degree 3 Wood Project X 5.5 Shaft
699 Pro 22 degree Utility Iron Project X 5.5 Shaft
5-6 699 7-AW 699 Pro KBS MAX 80 Steel Shafts
Just waiting for the driver to be released....

Last edited:

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
These seem great value but how would you try them out - just to get a feel for them? Would you need to go to Hereford or do they ever do product days at Clubs?

fade_away

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know in the US they have a demo program where you can try them for a couple of weeks but i'm not sure if that is up and running in the UK. Its always worth talking to Richard who runs the UK arm.
I took a chance on the irons as i knew my 'normal' setup and i'm delighted i did. I don' think anybody would be disappointed.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been playing Sub70 for the last two months (H I 9.0). Too far for a fitting but spent some time having an phone fitting. Not ideal but i was willing to give it a try. Richard and the whole teams customer service is fantastic.
Very forgiving and a lovely solid feel. I moved from Ping i200s and really enjoying the Sub70. The 699 Pro Utility iron is especially good and knocked a Ping g410 Hybrid out of my bag.
939X 15 degree 3 Wood Project X 5.5 Shaft
699 Pro 22 degree Utility Iron Project X 5.5 Shaft
5-6 699 7-AW 699 Pro KBS MAX 80 Steel Shafts
Just waiting for the driver to be released....

would be interested to hear how the standard 699s compare with the i200's. Playing the 200's just now but really like sub70 and have the utility pro iron.

fade_away

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm finding the 699 and 699 Pro a bit more forgiving than the i200. They feel a bit firmer off the face but very solid. Not much difference in distance but just a bit more confidence inspiring. The have a slightly thicker top line but nothing offensive to my mind. The 699 Pro Utility iron is very good. i have mine with a graphite Project x 5.5 shaft and its a beast..
Due to the lofts being the same i found it easy to have a combo set of 5-6 699 and 7-AW 699 Pro.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm finding the 699 and 699 Pro a bit more forgiving than the i200. They feel a bit firmer off the face but very solid. Not much difference in distance but just a bit more confidence inspiring. The have a slightly thicker top line but nothing offensive to my mind. The 699 Pro Utility iron is very good. i have mine with a graphite Project x 5.5 shaft and its a beast..
Due to the lofts being the same i found it easy to have a combo set of 5-6 699 and 7-AW 699 Pro.

Thanks -really helpful. Ive got the project x 6.0 in the utility pro and agree its a beast.

With the i200 i find when im hitting the centre of the face they feel amazing but i dont find them overly forgiving - if i stray a bit from the centre they feel ok but there can be a really noticeable drop off in distance.

Can you tell much difference between the 699 and the 699 pro or are they really similar?

The Fader

Visit site
Well my new sticks arrived this morning.

8 working days from fitting to despatch. Very happy!!

Might have to try and sneak out for 9 holes later. Need to get a feel for them before tomorrow's monthly medal

peld

Visit site
i play Sub70s 699s in 5-AW and also two 939X Hybrids
Love them, especially the hybrids.

I bought the irons and one hybrid from the US last year and had calls with Jason (the CEO). Had to pay the postage and import tax. Then had a call with Richard in the UK and ordered another hybrid quite recently.

Definitely recommended. Feel and look great - had lots of comments about how good they look.