Eye 2 replacement

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Ok, I know im only a random from the internet so take it with a pinch of salt if you like.

+.5 inches will make practically no difference to your posture or swing. All you clubs are different lengths anyway, so you always adjust. And we generally hit shorter clubs better. It may have a placebo effect.

In the fitting adding 0.5 inches may have changed the swingweight, which is very rare to effect people, but may have helped.

Changing the lie angle is more likely to effect your ball flight, the more upright, the more left your ball flight will go, and the less it will slice. So unless your misses are predominantly right, its not going to hugely effect you. Contradictory to common belief 2 degrees makes no difference to how your club interacts with the turf, its only 2 degrees over the length of the sole, its tiny.

If you did not see an improved strike pattern with new shafts, theres probably no need to urgently change, sometimes different weights and flexes can improve your timing, only you can really know that. I would also say if your current shafts are slightly stiffer, theres an argument that the reduced toe droop at impact, will make the clubs play more upright!

This in conjunction with how rare a flat even lie on the course is, tell me that your current eye 2s wont be holding you back at all. Maybe get some lead tape and experiment adding a couple extra grams to one of the irons to see if it improves feel, but I think, as Mark Crossfield's video hinted at, the eye 2s will be more than capable of letting you play your best!!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Whats more, as the lofts on your eyee 2s will be considerably weaker, comparing loft to loft your eye 2, 7 iron, will have the loft of a 425 8 iron, so is in effect an 8 iron +.25!

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've only been Ping specced, but 2 degrees upright and +0.5 inch.
Interestingly, to me anyway, I've done my best to measure and calculate the lie angle on my black dot Eye2s and I think they may have been flattened a couple of degrees, so as much as I love them, they really aren't doing me any favours. The good shots are probably real world mishits.

The reason I ask is that I thought the eye 2s could be lie adjusted anyway and shafts can always be lengthened (extension to the butt end) it just comes down to cost and if you think it is worth it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My experience with Ping, even before my American Golf saga, tells me that they don't like dealing directly with the public.?

Ping will only deal with a pro shop. My I25s had to go back to fit new weights and had to go via the pro.