P790 or Mp MMC

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looking at upgrading my irons and these two are the faves.
I have got a fitting booked in but interested to hear peoples opinions who maybe own them or have tried them?
Heard great things about the p790 but some say they are hard to stop on greens where as some people say the MMC are a bit weak in today’s market.

Any input welcome

Cheers

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
mizuno mp18 are quite popular just now and the taylormades have left some a little disappointed the proof will be in what works for you, have a try of the ap3s if you can they might sway you from the tm and mmc

D

Deleted member 1147

I hit the MMC's yesterday, with the KBS C Taper lite shaft in stiff, the ball speed, carry distance etc went up along way from my AP2 (716) 6 iron.
Spin & Launch angle were both similar (but pretty low 14.7* & 4,282 rpm on the MMC, 14.4* & 4,304 rpm on the AP2)

Ball speed went up from 123 to 130 mph, and club speed from 89 to 91.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at upgrading my irons and these two are the faves.
I have got a fitting booked in but interested to hear peoples opinions who maybe own them or have tried them?
Heard great things about the p790 but some say they are hard to stop on greens where as some people say the MMC are a bit weak in today’s market.

Any input welcome

Cheers

not sure what you mean by weak but if you mean lofts, then yes i'd assume TM irons are jacked as per usual.

I've got the MMC 2iron, and its an absolute rocket

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry mate meant weak in relation to other clubs in the market maybe I’m going of marketing etc but they just don’t seem to be being gamed by many handicap golfers

D

Deleted member 15344

When I was looking to upgrade my irons I was looking initially at the P790 or the AP2

I tried loads of others including the CB forged and the pings ( shudder )

I found the P790 jist ballooned of the face and a felt not great

Ended up going with a MP18 4-5 in the MMC and 6-PW in the SC - the numbers were good and they feel so nice

I reckon you will find a lot more people will play with Mizuno than you think

D

Deleted member 1147

So do You think you’ll change mate?

I intend changing in the Autumn. I'm going to all the fittings that our club are putting on and am going to compare and contrast the different brands. I'm basically looking at equivalents to the AP2's in each brand.
I tried the new AP2s a couple of months ago, the Mizzys yesterday, Taylormade this afternoon and Callaway on the 24th.

After those I will look at the numbers, and take a few demo clubs out on the course to see how they perform on actual shots rather than launch monitors (which I never fully trust - can they be fiddled with to make your club look worse than those on trial?), and go from there.

Fair to say though that the Mizzy that he fit for me yesterday flew a mile and was consistent as well.

D

Deleted member 1147

I reckon you will find a lot more people will play with Mizuno than you think

I get the impression that alot of former Nike players have gone to Mizzy now they aren't tied to any one club brand (Koepka & Casey certainly have)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
or you could wait another week and try these

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180704-142649.jpg
    Screenshot_20180704-142649.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 41

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
the new ping i500. lots of Google images if you look. very nice iron and more forgiving than they look too

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think those pings are maybe the best looking irons going at the mo.

Any ideas if the i range will extend to woods this time around?

The i25 was a stunning club and performed really well.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think those pings are maybe the best looking irons going at the mo.

Any ideas if the i range will extend to woods this time around?

The i25 was a stunning club and performed really well.

no idea. the ping guy i know is very cagey these days.

D

Deleted member 1147

Well that’s put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Tried the P790 today, went like a dream with the stiff modus shaft.
The fitter said he’d never put me in the KBS shaft which the Mizzy fitter recommended.
Unfortunately the P770 which I fancied the look of has been discontinued because of the success of the P790.

Looking forward to trying the Callaways and then making a decision. All I know is everything seems to go better than my current setup.

D

Deleted member 15344

Which Callaways are you trying - I really wanted to try the x forged but they weren’t officially out when I saw them - lovely looking clubs.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
NOt got he MP18 MMC, but I do have the MP15 and love them and apparently the MP18 are even better. FOr a more bladed iron they are forgiving compared to the 712 MB I was using. With regards to the lofts not being jacked up for distance I wouldn't worry too much. I was looking at the CF16 which are lower lofted than the MP15, but didn't go any further.

D

Deleted member 1147

Which Callaways are you trying - I really wanted to try the x forged but they weren’t officially out when I saw them - lovely looking clubs.

Yes I’ll try the x-forged, don’t really know what else they have on offer.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately the P770 which I fancied the look of has been discontinued because of the success of the P790.

i think he's telling you porkies mate. the p770 is current. the belfry are still fitting and ordering them.

they are two very different irons too. spin is higher on the p770 but not as forgiving

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rumours circulating about a replacement Apex line in the Autumn.
Saw some pics earlier in the week but can't find them now.
If what they showed was the new Apex, it looks pretty interesting - like the X Forged but a slightly bigger cavity.
With the MB and X Forged already in the lineup, they may only introduce a single Apex that sits between them and the Rogue Pro...