P790 and i500!!??

sunshine

Visit site
Perhaps it’s just me, but you say you’re normally 170yds with a 7iron, but these went 184?
If you’re banging a 7 iron that far how do you expect it to stop short and quick.?

:unsure:
Have you ever watched the golf on TV? The pros are hitting 7 iron 180 yards and they are getting it to stop quickly.

If he's hitting a 7 iron 184 yards he's a great ball striker.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
what handicap you playing off if you don’t mind me asking. I’m off 14 but don’t play as much as I used to for which I was down to 10 but I’m currently still got my ap1 712 from 9 years ago and now looking for something new
I don't have a active handicap anymore. Probably around 5-7. Why are you looking for something new? You have good irons. Not working for you?

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
But clubs with lower spin tend to flight higher so they come down on a steeper angle of descent to stop the ball? Like I get every club is different but surely the manufacturers test and design clubs to stop on a green if hit correctly depending on conditions. I think I tried those one length clubs they had low spin but still stopped on the greens because of launch angle. I'm saying if you get a decent fit you shouldn't have a problem. But for the AG guy to say they are to low spinning and you wont stop them on the greens as good as others is this true. Seems a bold statement. Anyway my experience with AG has been good from sales side not so good on the fitting side. I'm guessing each store is different depending on who is doing the fittings.
Low spin makes a ball fly lower. That's why Taylormade had a loft up campaign because their sldr was spinning too low for most people. When you have a fitting you have "ideal launch, spin and peak hight criteria". Hitting a ball higher and use trajectory to make up for lack of spin isn't going to work. These irons are good for a few people but I know too many people (good golfers) that got rid very fast

mazza78

Visit site
:unsure:
Have you ever watched the golf on TV? The pros are hitting 7 iron 180 yards and they are getting it to stop quickly.

If he's hitting a 7 iron 184 yards he's a great ball striker.
mine running on 10-15 yards mate if you read my other post. Pros hit it and stop it that distance. My current clubs land a roll couple of yards to 170 so hope that clears it up for you

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve had a set of Titleist ap3 irons in the bag for two seasons now which are similar to the i500s & p790 (Hollow head players distance irons )I have no problem stopping them on greens at all but I think it’s more down to the extra height and launch I get with them .
I was fitted by a Titleist fitter and tried all sorts until we found a good combo which gave me the correct numbers .
Honestly I’m still not a massive fan and am tempted to get rid of them as I’m not that keen on the feel of the hollow heads and also the odd rogue long ball I get .so might change them next year

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How does a fitter sort out my swing characteristics for a shaft fitting when I feel that my swing changes ever time I take the clubhead away from the ball.

Or is it that although I might feel or think that I'm doing a different swing every time - from a shaft fitting perspective my swing and clubhead speed will basically be consistent and one of a few basic combinations - and he just decides what general 'combination/type' of swing I have?

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
How does a fitter sort out my swing characteristics for a shaft fitting when I feel that my swing changes ever time I take the clubhead away from the ball.

Or is it that although I might feel or think that I'm doing a different swing every time - from a shaft fitting perspective my swing will basically be consistent and one of a few basic types - and he just decides what general 'type' of swing I have?
I think it’s more to what actually feels good to you and gives the best launch and spin ect a good fitter will help you with all this , I struggle to keep my spin down so always battling it so tend use Shafts to try and keep it under control

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Or is it that although I might feel or think that I'm doing a different swing every time - from a shaft fitting perspective my swing and clubhead speed will basically be consistent and one of a few basic combinations - and he just decides what general 'combination/type' of swing I have?
You might think your swing changes every time but in reality certain characteristics will remain fairly stable most of the time.
During my recent fitting, and I feel my swing isn't particularly consistent, my speed, AoA and path were actually very tight and didn't vary by enough to make a real difference.
You'd be surprised how consistent even an inconsistent swing is.....

sunshine

Visit site
mine running on 10-15 yards mate if you read my other post. Pros hit it and stop it that distance. My current clubs land a roll couple of yards to 170 so hope that clears it up for you

When quoting distances, especially irons, I always think of carry distance. That's the only number that matters. Landing on a soft green v a firm fairway is completely different.

I thought you said you only hit these in a net, so how are you adding in roll distance? Sounds like the AG sales rep is trying to exaggerate the distance to help sell the club.

Imurg

Visit site
They do a Retro loft as well
PW comes in at 47°
They do, generally, spin less than you would expect and use their high launch characteristics to ensure the stopping power.
Along with the strong lofts, the lower spin does help them go miles, which if that's what you need then Robert's your Father's brother..
Or if you naturally spin the bejeesus out of the ball then this type of iron brings that spin down to manageable levels.
I suspect, in the Retro loft, they go massively high and the spin will come up too.
That's why a fitting is important, if only to get the right club head for your delivery.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They do a Retro loft as well
PW comes in at 47°
They do, generally, spin less than you would expect and use their high launch characteristics to ensure the stopping power.
Along with the strong lofts, the lower spin does help them go miles, which if that's what you need then Robert's your Father's brother..
Or if you naturally spin the bejeesus out of the ball then this type of iron brings that spin down to manageable levels.
I suspect, in the Retro loft, they go massively high and the spin will come up too.
That's why a fitting is important, if only to get the right club head for your delivery.

I guess my question would be how many retailers would actually stock a retro model when distance seems to rule

Imurg

Visit site
I guess my question would be how many retailers would actually stock a retro model when distance seems to rule
A Ping fitter will have probably a retro loft head on the fitting cart and places like AG will have a cart of some sort ..
If they haven't I'm sure one could be ordered in pretty quickly.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A Ping fitter will have probably a retro loft head on the fitting cart and places like AG will have a cart of some sort ..
If they haven't I'm sure one could be ordered in pretty quickly.
But do you honestly think places like AG will plug retro when they can get a punter on the monitor and give them a jacked 7 iron and see them hit it further. Kerching job done. Distance sells for many. I definitely agree a Ping fitter would/should have the retro model and a good fitter should be able to guide a customer towards the best model for them

mazza78

Visit site
Everything seems to be about distance,distance,distance these days when buying clubs. So many you tubers saying how nice the p790 and i500 feel but if there like rockets and inconsistent with yardages between clubs they seem pointless. Another club I never tried but on my list is Mizuno JpX 919 forged. Problem is now going in to try clubs as AG only place really I can try them on a range and hit properly but get hassled to buy through them. Would love paying for a session of no hassle just trying clubs and getting figure with no hard sell at the end!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah now your talking mizuno jpx919 forged and tour are lovely. I tried them initially and then got the MP20s from 7iron up and 5 and 6 in HMB .. with your distance you want to sacrifice some for spin and control. Crossfield has a video showing a maverick vs some old forged iron .. the forged iron is just tighter in its distances.
The other thing and I tried the the i500s unfortunately no TM irons, was the ability to feel the shot - so chipping round the greens etc. I just could not, it became mechanical and that works but not what I wanted.
Mizuno also offers a massive selection of shafts and they are not extra .. I have recoil esx in my irons and love them... so go have a look at the Mizunos

Imurg

Visit site
New JPX range appearing sometime in the not too distant future so head stock of 919 will be getting low.
In America and Canada shops have been told to take 919 off the shelves as they dont have enough heads to fu,fill any more orders.
So be quick!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New JPX range appearing sometime in the not too distant future so head stock of 919 will be getting low.
In America and Canada shops have been told to take 919 off the shelves as they dont have enough heads to fu,fill any more orders.
So be quick!
The MP20 looks nicer in my opinion and is as forgiving. It is a misnomer that blades of today are hard to hit .. be brave go and give them a hit

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I found all the hollow foam filled type irons great to hit. I had the AP3's for a while. My issue was some of the crazy distances and 'fliers'. Ended up swapping for a forged set.... Best thing to do is maybe take a demo iron on the course and not get stuck with trackman/flighscope distances....