P790 and i500!!??

mazza78

Visit site
Hi guys

Yesterday I tried out the ping i500 and Taylormade p790 at AG and all I can say is there like rockets. My problem is though that they don’t really stop on greens. Tend to get a lot of roll out with them.
My question is anyone using either of these irons currently and what’s your thoughts on them and how you finding stopping ball on greens?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Both those clubs are an aquired taste because of the hollow head construction. I had the i500's last year and they are long but I swapped them for i210's as i couldn't get on with the hollow sound/feel. I see more people with the TM's which seem very popular. I didn't have any issues with stopping the ball on the greens. How do you know they won't stop if you only hit them at AG (assume in a net with a monitor)?

mazza78

Visit site
Morning mate. I tried both on the range and then had flightscope going also. The salesman at AG said about the poor spin rate they produce means they won’t stop on the greens as good as most clubs. im normally 170y with a 7 iron but these were like 184 which is huge. Also watched a few people on YT reviewing them and people say TM struggle in particular out of rough!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would suggest a proper fitting somewhere else then. A good fitter will be able to find the right shaft for you to get the spin rates correct for your swing characteristics.
Distance isn't everything (well, it is to some people o_O ) so I would be more concerned about dispersion than pure distance. You can always take 1 club more if you need a few extra yards.

robbeh32

Visit site
Morning mate. I tried both on the range and then had flightscope going also. The salesman at AG said about the poor spin rate they produce means they won’t stop on the greens as good as most clubs. im normally 170y with a 7 iron but these were like 184 which is huge. Also watched a few people on YT reviewing them and people say TM struggle in particular out of rough!

Seems like a load of cobblers. Spin rate does change from club to club but also from person to person and how you swing. Also can change spin rate by trying different shafts. Take what he said with a pinch of salt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think you can tell if they stop on a green until you go out on a course and try and stop them on an actual green. You can trust the yardage to be approximately correct on the simulator I think, or at least relative yardage between different clubs - but things like holding a green I'd have thought you really need to be on a course you know, using the ball you normally use, to see that for sure.

mazza78

Visit site
Totally agree with your comments and posts. This is the thing that’s puts me off trying clubs in AG. Yes they’ve got a vast array of clubs from loads of brands to try but fine tuning there crap at. Maybe as I’m after a forged iron I should be more open minded I’m clubs instead of those 2 clubs!?

robbeh32

Visit site
All clubs are designed to spin and perform well. It's all down to personal preference and a decent fitting. For the average golf AG are good for people who want a try and a quick easy sale. But if you're serious and want to do certain things like flight it low or high or whatever then a proper fitting is need where you can go somewhere to test different shafts etc. When I tried a fitting at american golf it was all stock shafts and that was it. All the guy seemed to be happy with is that I was hitting it further than previous club and he was bigging me up. I then asked for the lofts of said clubs :cry:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems like a load of cobblers. Spin rate does change from club to club but also from person to person and how you swing. Also can change spin rate by trying different shafts. Take what he said with a pinch of salt.
You're lucky if a different shaft will add or takeaway 500rpm. These irons are known for being low spin. Many people jumped on the bandwagon to later find they couldn't get the spin. I couldn't get my 7 iron above 5,500 I think. So I went with p770's

Grizzly

Visit site
I think you might be being a tad unkind of AG there - there are good stores and bad stores within the group as far as fitting goes is my take. The driver I was fitted for at Monument...has not been a good fit for me in the open air but the irons and fairways I had done at Northolt have been perfect (I think it helped being able to hit them in the open air).

mazza78

Visit site
You're lucky if a different shaft will add or takeaway 500rpm. These irons are known for being low spin. Many people jumped on the bandwagon to later find they couldn't get the spin. I couldn't get my 7 iron above 5,500 I think. So I went with p770's
what handicap you playing off if you don’t mind me asking. I’m off 14 but don’t play as much as I used to for which I was down to 10 but I’m currently still got my ap1 712 from 9 years ago and now looking for something new

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps it’s just me, but you say you’re normally 170yds with a 7iron, but these went 184?
If you’re banging a 7 iron that far how do you expect it to stop short and quick.?

robbeh32

Visit site
But clubs with lower spin tend to flight higher so they come down on a steeper angle of descent to stop the ball? Like I get every club is different but surely the manufacturers test and design clubs to stop on a green if hit correctly depending on conditions. I think I tried those one length clubs they had low spin but still stopped on the greens because of launch angle. I'm saying if you get a decent fit you shouldn't have a problem. But for the AG guy to say they are to low spinning and you wont stop them on the greens as good as others is this true. Seems a bold statement. Anyway my experience with AG has been good from sales side not so good on the fitting side. I'm guessing each store is different depending on who is doing the fittings.

mazza78

Visit site
I’m not expecting it to stop dead and spin back as not that god enough ball striker but with 7 iron I wouldn’t want the ball running on 10-15 yards after landing to which these were doing.

mazza78

Visit site
But clubs with lower spin tend to flight higher so they come down on a steeper angle of descent to stop the ball? Like I get every club is different but surely the manufacturers test and design clubs to stop on a green if hit correctly depending on conditions. I think I tried those one length clubs they had low spin but still stopped on the greens because of launch angle. I'm saying if you get a decent fit you shouldn't have a problem. But for the AG guy to say they are to low spinning and you wont stop them on the greens as good as others is this true. Seems a bold statement. Anyway my experience with AG has been good from sales side not so good on the fitting side. I'm guessing each store is different depending on who is doing the fittings.
Totally agree about the club fitter mate. Thing that baffled me more is that surely his starting point should have been me hurting my 7iron to see what stats come up with that then to compare all that and dispersion against the 2 clubs I was interested in. Instead he made me try both clubs and recommended the one with best stats between the two which in the end was negligible

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
When I got fitted for my Callaway irons, I went to the Callaway fitting centre and they tried me with 3 or 4 different heads and about seven different shafts. It took some time before we settled on the right fitting but I came away with a fitting I wasn't expecting (2° flat and UST recoil graphite shafts) but gave far less dispersion than anything else. Distance was the best to but it was accuracy I was after. It was a definite improvement over my old Mizuno MX-900's with standard lie and steel shafts.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Totally agree about the club fitter mate. Thing that baffled me more is that surely his starting point should have been me hurting my 7iron to see what stats come up with that then to compare all that and dispersion against the 2 clubs I was interested in. Instead he made me try both clubs and recommended the one with best stats between the two which in the end was negligible
Yep, a fitting should always start with a reference point even if it's just to confirm that your current clubs are not suitable. I have had fittings where the guy has not been able to improve on what is already in my hands.

Reactions: Zig

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site

Whats the loft of your current 7i might explain the difference to P750?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have the original P790 's and dont find any spin issues. I hit a 7 iron about 165 yards and the flight is quite high which, as I understand, is the reason why they stop ok