Ouch!!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
A new first for me in golf... got hit by a golf ball yesterday.

A wayward drive from an adjacent hole caught me full on the shin. Pretty painful at the time, and it swelled right up but was able to finish the round then get ice on it. Looks like no lasting damage, just tender today, so maybe got off lightly.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very.
Was stood next to a chap on a tee a couple of years ago, and a wayward tee shot bounce next to us, bounced up and hit him on the side of his temple. Luckily for him he had glasses and the arm of the glasses took the initial contact and somehow saved him from anything other than a trip to A and E, and heavy bruising to the side of eye socket.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This might sound a strange comment, but I find it mildly reassuring that everyone I know that has been hit by a ball hasn’t suffered anything more than a bruise or two.

Of course being hit is horrible for all concerned, but I think you’d have to be very unlucky to be hit and suffer a serious injury.

What I don’t have time for though, is people that don’t shout fore and give others the opportunity to shield their eyes / head. I think that makes a big difference to likelihood of damage.

I hope the bruising subsides quickly FairwayDodger

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Been hit 4 times. Once in the back, which was a glancing blow from a PP who shanked it. Next one just above the eye, which knocked me out and got me an overnight stay in Strathclyde General. Next one in the nuts, which brought up breakfast. The last one on the side of the jaw/cheek that brought on lots of blood and a ride in the air ambulance - the ride was ably assisted with morphine, wow!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got hit on the ear a few weekends ago on an Away Weekend. It was lucky that the soft upper part of the ear took the blow, shudder to think what might have happened if it had been a few inches forward on the temple.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been hit 4 times. Once in the back, which was a glancing blow from a PP who shanked it. Next one just above the eye, which knocked me out and got me an overnight stay in Strathclyde General. Next one in the nuts, which brought up breakfast. The last one on the side of the jaw/cheek that brought on lots of blood and a ride in the air ambulance - the ride was ably assisted with morphine, wow!

Were all these incidents on the same golf course? If so, tell me which one and I'll avoid it:)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been hit twice, same hole, different weekends, 18th tee at Whickham is adjacent to 17th Green which is a short par 3, any pulled tee shots head toward the 18th tee, bee hit twice on the head, first ball came down from a good height, fortunately it was raining and I had my brolly up, ball hit the brolly and then my head, brolly took a lot out of the speed thankfully. Second, ball bounced and just grazed me, no damage done.

Same hole I've had a few near misses, where the ball has rolled across the tee box.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have been hit once on the back of the head by someone playing in my group.

I was in the left rough and he was in the right rough. He was trying to punch it out into the fairway and caught it a bit too clean with a 7 iron. Luckily no damage done and was able to continue.

had a good few near misses. I was leaning up against a very small tree one day and a ball cannoned off the opposite side of the tree which was the same height as my head from a drive on the other hole.

Been hit on the bag whilst carrying from someone who tee'd off while we were leaving the green.

Also a friend of mine was walking down the adjacent fairway and was hit by a drive from another hole right on the shoulder where the bag straps cover.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Do you think your playing partners are trying to tell you something? ;)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did ask for a signed glove but sadly none was forthcoming! :rofl:

He’s keeping quiet about it (other than PM) but I do have to out IanG as a member of the group that hit me... although not his shot!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did you get a signed glove?

I hit a guy a few years back with a ball down the left side of the fairway I was playing. He had just walked out without looking and when his mates yelled out a ball was coming his way, he apparently said "from where?" and then got ******* on the side of the head. He was OK and I did phone to see if he was all right that evening but the signed glove gag was being done whilst he was on the floor.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A new first for me in golf... got hit by a golf ball yesterday.

A wayward drive from an adjacent hole caught me full on the shin. Pretty painful at the time, and it swelled right up but was able to finish the round then get ice on it. Looks like no lasting damage, just tender today, so maybe got off lightly.

Hope your alright Karen, dig out your insurance policy, could pay for your new car :D

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got hit on the ear a few weekends ago on an Away Weekend. It was lucky that the soft upper part of the ear took the blow, shudder to think what might have happened if it had been a few inches forward on the temple.
Take care Jim, but it would've probably passed straight through the void :ears:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did ask for a signed glove but sadly none was forthcoming! :rofl:

He’s keeping quiet about it (other than PM) but I do have to out IanG as a member of the group that hit me... although not his shot!

Yes, I was a member of the 'fore'-chorus. Sickening when you see someone tumble to the ground from 200 yards away.

Later, when my playing partner realised I knew FD, it was soooo tempting to tell him that 'yes I did, and that she's a Personal Injury Barrister by day' but I resisted.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I hit a guy a few years back with a ball down the left side of the fairway I was playing. He had just walked out without looking and when his mates yelled out a ball was coming his way, he apparently said "from where?" and then got ******* on the side of the head. He was OK and I did phone to see if he was all right that evening but the signed glove gag was being done whilst he was on the floor.

Sounds like you could have taken a few out with your round on Saturday from what I heard

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We had a guy at our place who managed to hit himself.

OK...to be clear he was warming up in the net and he shanked one into the metal stanchions which ricocheted straight back into his face. Was a bit messy but fair do's to the guy once he'd got himself sorted he went out and played in the medal.