Wheels have came off again

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Which goes back to my original point. You must be one helluva player if you can differentiate your swing to maximise speed at the different points of impact for irons and driver.
Nope! I just concentrate on maximising the speed when HITTING THE BALL - wherever that happens to be!
Isn't that what you do? If not then YOU must be wasting energy somewhere!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t realistically think I am changing the position of maximum swing speed over the fairly short distances in ball position. Though the face angle may be considerably different. I don’t think there is no difference between the swing of a driver and a seven iron or any other club the shafts are different lengths as well. But ball lie varies a lot with other shots and I suspect the actual difference between a driver and a seven iro in swing mechanics is less than the difference in a seven iron with the ball above and below your feet for instance.

D

Deleted member 23270

Nope! I just concentrate on maximising the speed when HITTING THE BALL - wherever that happens to be!
Isn't that what you do? If not then YOU must be wasting energy somewhere!
I'm consciously trying to slow down as soon as my hands get below my shoulders otherwise I hit the ball too far.

G1z1

Visit site
I Played last night, used my driver on 13 holes and after my game felt quite disappointed overall on my driving but I didn’t lose a ball. I hit 7 really good drives and 6 really quite bad ones but my bad ones are just low the now so as long as there’s no hazard I’ll maybe get 100 yards carry but it will roll on quite a bit so not major slices or hooks that would result in lost balls. Wanted to ask people who are really consistent with there driver. If you use driver on say 13 holes are you expecting 13 good drives or are you happy with say 10 ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I Played last night, used my driver on 13 holes and after my game felt quite disappointed overall on my driving but I didn’t lose a ball. I hit 7 really good drives and 6 really quite bad ones but my bad ones are just low the now so as long as there’s no hazard I’ll maybe get 100 yards carry but it will roll on quite a bit so not major slices or hooks that would result in lost balls. Wanted to ask people who are really consistent with there driver. If you use driver on say 13 holes are you expecting 13 good drives or are you happy with say 10 ?

I'd say I'm fairly consistent with my driver and on the 11 holes I'll always use it on at my home course I'd expect 9 to be "good" (ie over 220ish yards and on the fairway/first cut).

My biggest issue is not warming up properly and/or then, after a few decent ones, getting cocky and going balls out at it and losing all tempo. Usually results in a low hook or a big high slice depending on whats happening with the face.

RichA

Visit site
I'm not giving advice - more posting in kinship. After getting a bit of confidence back with the slightly shorter steel shaft I decided to put the graphite shaft in yesterday. Big mistake. Yes, I was connecting and hitting big drives, but everything was either a massive uncontrolled slice or an over controlled wooden hook. Iron play and putting were equally dreadful. Chipping was ok though.
I've hit my HI cap just 4 months after getting it down to my best.
I really think I need to just get back to basics and concentrate on hitting the middle of a squared clubface and stop obsessing about speed and distance.
Stick at it mate.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I‘m not consistent with my driver but I’ll answer anyway.

By ‘good’ do you mean struck well and in the right direction, or just leave yourself a decent chance at hitting the green?

If you mean the former I would bite your hand off for 10/13. The latter to me would be just about acceptable.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Wanted to ask people who are really consistent with there driver. If you use driver on say 13 holes are you expecting 13 good drives or are you happy with say 10 ?
I haven't been consistent with the Driver - except in inconsistency - for several years. But when I was, I would have expected 12 to be so - and then only not 13 to cover abberations. That, said/posted, I've never been super long, so hitting fairways has always seemed the way to optimise my score. I learnt to stay out of trees on a tight tree-lined very early on!

D

Deleted member 23270

In summer I generally only hit driver 3 or 4 times per round, hit 3 wood mostly to keep it in play. I think a lot of players would benefit from better course management.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

The mantra remains true. Get a lesson with a pro. Find one you trust and who you understand their methodology and simply get the fix for your driver swing. The quicker you recognise and find the fault, work on the fix, the quicker you'll find consistency

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
In summer I generally only hit driver 3 or 4 times per round, hit 3 wood mostly to keep it in play. I think a lot of players would benefit from better course management.

Hitting 3 wood isn’t that much more accurate than hitting a driver for a lot of players. If at all. The one thing it is (for the vast majority) is shorter than a driver. So all you are doing is ensuring a longer shot into the green and increasing the chances of a higher score.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hitting 3 wood isn’t that much more accurate than hitting a driver for a lot of players. If at all. The one thing it is (for the vast majority) is shorter than a driver. So all you are doing is ensuring a longer shot into the green and increasing the chances of a higher score.

I would prefer to see struggling players hit something to find a fairway, accept they will be short of the green and hit another iron to leave around 100 yards for the third shot. More chance of a short iron onto the green and hopefully two putting. If they played every hole as a par five that still shooting 90 and uses their shots far more sensibly

TigerBear

Visit site
The dreaded tops. Horrible affliction, I suffer it badly with 3w off the tee.

OP what driver do you use mate, out of curiosity?