Optimum scramble tactics

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played in one once where we had to use two shots from the two weakest players on the final two holes. One was a par-3 over water and after the first one dunked it straight in, we were almost pleading with the other guy to just chip it 20 yards down the tee. He kept maintaining he could hit it and wound up nailing it to 15 feet whilst we had our hands over our eyes.

D

Deleted member 21258

Normally get the worst/shortest players to tee off first, means the long hitters can open shoulders.

Try to get everyones hits in as soon as possible, even if it means that you take not an ideal drive but one that leaves you a good chance for a par(so like on a short par 4, take a fairly short drive, as still likely to hit the green and have a chance of birdie) or a easy chip off the green of a par3, if no one is really close. Really don't want to be leaving it to one person until the 18th on one person, had that happen to me once and I hit it in the bunker:eek:

Putting we always change around the order to mix it up, a lot of the time I go last just because I don't care if I miss it or not. We only mix the order up as I don't think I have ever played texas with a great putter that could be relied upon to sink putts.

Last edited by a moderator:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I used to play with a group who advocated 1st putt, dead weight to see line and at least lag, then give it your best shot on last 3! :D

NEVER come down the stretch needing to take one from the weakest driver!

Often said, shoot level or better GROSS then off come the shots

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
anybody have any answer on this part?

Also someone told me this was a rule you can use but not sure of true as I've never heard it before......….if you are on the last hole or par 3 where it has to be one players drive/shot at par 3 if they hit it into trees/OB/Hazard etc everyone else can also take a drive and play it as 3 off the tee? In extreme cases this could be better than the original shot?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's confused me.......how can others have a putt for a lower score in Texas Scramble?

I think he meant that the first guy to putt missed, but, instead of marking his ball, he tapped it in. Doing that lost the opportunity for one of the other 3 to sink their putt.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Also someone told me this was a rule you can use but not sure of true as I've never heard it before......….if you are on the last hole or par 3 where it has to be one players drive/shot at par 3 if they hit it into trees/OB/Hazard etc everyone else can also take a drive and play it as 3 off the tee? In extreme cases this could be better than the original shot?

Probably part right but I would have thought that if you find the original players ball in bounds then you would have to take it from there.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Probably part right but I would have thought that if you find the original players ball in bounds then you would have to take it from there.

Yes, it is correct. Remember, if you do find your ball, you always have the option of playing stroke and distance. But you don't need to go forward to look for the ball before deciding to do so. But if everyone/anyone else does play a tee shot, then you are playing three off the tee. They are not provisional balls and there's no point looking for the original (except to retrieve it, that is).

Last edited:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lots of good advice in here as usual, only things I would add:

- We usually also let the shorter or weaker players tee off first to ge a ball in play... BUT that often results in some of us lashing at ours going for glory making it very hard to find the usual rhythm

- Attack. May be a bit contrary to the above but in my experience very low scores are needed to have any chance of winning. Consistently choosing the weaker players tee shots to get them out of the way often results in too many pars and not eough birdies

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I play in 4 of these during the summer with work. Won 3 of 4 last year, so these are the tactics we use.

Let the steady driver hit the opening ball to get one in play. Let the worst driver go next and get him out of the way. 3rd person then has the choice, he is either taking mr reliable club from the tee to put one in play or letting rip cause it doesn’t matter, big hitter always goes last so he can swing away.

Best iron player always hits last, so make sure you have something else on the green to take the pressure of his shot.

Always let your best putter go last as he has seen it 3 times already so has a very good chance of makin it.

Maybe just the local rules we use but this often isn't an option because whoever's tee shot/approach etc that's chosen, they must be the first person to take the next shot as its their ball position that's been marked

In addition to the other advice, if a tee shot is good from the first or second player, the others don't have to hit one too (especially if there's little no chance of bettering it) just move on and help the pace