Opponents asking for yardages

kozmos

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it speeds the game up, go for it! I do have a chuckle though when I ask did it make any difference and they say no really cause I don't know what club I hit to 174 yards lol
:rofl:sounds like me right there.... I don't own one but boy do I want one! If and when I reach single digits am deffo going to reward my efforts...

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
this is supposed to be a gentleman's game (and ladies of course). you shouldn't hesitate to tell your playing partner!

No - unless its Garyfrom Derry asking you, who has a garmin G5 also, but is trying to save on batteries..........:eek:

If I'm in a match and the're handicap is over 18, I'll tell them truthfully,anyway off that handicap the're bound to come up 20 yards short:whistle:

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No - unless its Garyfrom Derry asking you, who has a garmin G5 also, but is trying to save on batteries..........:eek:

Easily done, go to a K of K meet where Paperboy is playing, tell people you've got a Garmin with no batteries, he lends you his and you give them back after the round and he charges them up again - all so very simple!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of course share yardages.

Always makes me smile when there are three guys stood shoulder to shoulder on a par 3 tee, all zapping the same flag!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't have one but have not come across anyone who'd decline the info if I asked them for a yardage (a few even seem to have a little pride in owning such a device/app & quite happy to share)

At my level its typically only required a small handful of times in a round anyway, most distances being pretty bleeding obvious or course markers provide the info. Its generally only those shots where the course design is clever enough to make you doubt the course markers that a DMD is useful

ChrisWelsh

Hacker
Visit site
I am happy to share along the way but it really does become a pain if you're asked by a couple of FC's on every hole. Mostly because it's a little distracting when you're thinking about your own game.

In my view, people can ask but should give a little thought to how often.

On the point about someone asking which club you played, that always seems a little offside to me but I can't put my finger on why!

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You'd have to be a pretty miserable git to not share the yardages if they ask! I wouldnt want to play with you too much, thats for sure.

I do have one funny story though, last summer we played a singles match against another club and my 4 ball partner was playing against a really, shall we say, hard to get along with chap. He just wasnt pleasant at all, argumentative, rude and just not a nice guy. anyway, my mate being dutch has his GPS set to meters rather than yards, so after a few holes his opponent walked over to his trolley and just looked at his GPS to check the yardage, no asking for permission, nothing. On seeing him doing this, he was asked "can i help you"? just checking yardages seeing as you have this. Astounded, he looked at him, and said "crack on, help yourself". Anyway, cut a long story short, for the rest of the match he was constantly short with his approach shots and once beaten he pretty much trudged off and didnt stay around fo rthe drinks afterwards.

He was using meters, thinking it was yards! This got a massive laugh in the bar afterwards, even from his own team who it trnspired didnt like him at all.

My mate didnt once tell him a false distance, the guy looked himself. He just didnt tell him it was set to meters.

We won the match.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll always tell them and tell them the correct distance. Golf is meant to be fun and even a match against another club isn't life and death. I'd rather have a good friendly game, in good company and let the result sort itself out.

In a home match against another club do we not offer our opponents general factual information about the hole - unseen hazards etc. I do. Home and Away I have asked and I have been asked. I can't imagine in an away match asking opponents and them refusing to provide. Of course they could say I should have bought a course planner or have a device - maybe these days they would - my experience is from days when devices didn't exist. But I just can't imagine that that aspect of golfing etiquette has been ditched.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
No need, a quick look short & right on any 1st fairway will usually yield sufficient pro v's :D

:rofl:

I'll always share (yardages), often without being asked regardless of the format!

I'm only playing against myself and the course, just as my FC's are only playing against themselves and the course!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In a bounce game no probs , I would probably tell them before they ask , in a medal or match play comp they can foxtrot oscar

that's the same as you standing beside the course yardage marker, your FC across the fairway asks what it says on the stick your standing beside, and you tell him to F off.

me no understand this mentality:confused:

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
that's the same as you standing beside the course yardage marker, your FC across the fairway asks what it says on the stick your standing beside, and you tell him to F off.

me no understand this mentality:confused:

If he asked me that at my course I'd think he was a right plonker , we only have 150yrd markers