Open Competitions 2021

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Seen a lot of good reviews about Kington looks an interesting course
Playing 4BBB Mashie Pairs opens at Foxhills and The Addington, in April and May.

I really like the Longcross Course at Foxhills, but I haven't played The Addington.

Addington is nice - would call it quirky - some strange holes , a few too many blind tee shots , the greens were nice when we all played there , it’s certainly a course worth playing. One par 5 it was just a 5/6 iron off the tee from what I can remember

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given these two things in the new guideline I would question if any Open could go ahead before the 21st June

Step 3, no earlier than 17 May:
  • Outdoors, most social contact rules will be lifted - although gatherings of over 30 people will remain illegal.
Step 4, no earlier than 21 June:
  • It is hoped all legal limits on social contact can be removed.
No doubt England Golf will clarify and issue clubs with a definitive guideline to follow

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Given these two things in the new guideline I would question if any Open could go ahead before the 21st June

• Outdoors, most social contact rules will be lifted - although gatherings of over 30 people will remain illegal.
No doubt England Golf will clarify and issue clubs with a definitive guideline to follow
As long as 4 balls are allowed Opens can happen. You turn up, you play, you leave. You will be allowed a drink outside from 12th of April,so they could set up spaced out seating to suit. It is the same as a pub garden.

Opens happened last year with restrictions, this is no different

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
As long as 4 balls are allowed Opens can happen. You turn up, you play, you leave. You will be allowed a drink outside from 12th of April,so they could set up spaced out seating to suit. It is the same as a pub garden.

Opens happened last year with restrictions, this is no different

When will travel restrictions be lifted? Not sure how it is in England at the moment but in Scotland we are not allowed to leave our own local authority area. So very much doubt there will be any opens until the travel restrictions are lifted, golf clubs being open isn't enough to host open comps.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
When will travel restrictions be lifted? Not sure how it is in England at the moment but in Scotland we are not allowed to leave our own local authority area. So very much doubt there will be any opens until the travel restrictions are lifted, golf clubs being open isn't enough to host open comps.
In England travel it was announced yesterday that travel outside local area allowed from 29th March

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
In England travel it was announced yesterday that travel outside local area allowed from 29th March

In that case open comps could be held if the club thinks it is financially viable as the clubhouses will still be closed in the meantime.

I play loads of opens normally but have already decided to wait and see what happens after what happened last year.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why can’t an Open start from 29th March ?

If we can play 4balls from the 29th March there is nothing stopped Opens from continuing

I’m having to pull out of two because to play in them meant I would have had to stay overnight in a hotel and that’s currently not allowed until the 17th April

So the Opens will go ahead with people travelling on the day - arrive , play in a 4ball then go home once finished

No different to any of us just booked into a tee time at your home club

sunshine

Visit site

If we can play 4balls from the 29th March there is nothing stopped Opens from continuing

I’m having to pull out of two because to play in them meant I would have had to stay overnight in a hotel and that’s currently not allowed until the 17th April

So the Opens will go ahead with people travelling on the day - arrive , play in a 4ball then go home once finished

I agree. My reading of the steps is that:

29 March: travel restrictions end, courses open. Therefore possible to hold an Open but no catering or prize-giving ceremony etc.
12 April: restaurants and pubs allowed to serve people outdoors. Self contained accommodation open. Therefore possible to hold an Open with outdoor food and drink, and stay away self catering.
17 May: hotels and B&Bs open, restaurants and pubs can seat people indoors (rule of 6), gatherings of 30 allowed outdoors. Therefore possible to travel away to an Open, eat and drink in the clubhouse / bar / restaurant in your 4 ball, but prize giving ceremony needs to be outdoors.
21 June: some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over.... It is now!

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wouldn't like to be a GM of a club that holds an Open on the 29 March or very shortly after that date :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This is what I was thinking. Judging by the reaction to the last lockdown everyone will be clamoring to play and I would guess the majority don't want their first taste of golf in any way restricted by a competition.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just booked for my dad and me to play an open at Brancepeth Castle on 30th May. Never played there before but have heard decent things about it.

Looks to have some challenging par 3's.
It is a hugely well regarded course / club. Pretty tough I believe, I have not played it but plenty on here have and describe it that way. It's on my list of courses to play up here, I'm sure you will both enjoy it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I’m having to pull out of two because to play in them meant I would have had to stay overnight in a hotel and that’s currently not allowed until the 17th May

Corrected that for you.

D

Deleted member 15344

Corrected that for you.

No need to be corrected - it was correct in the first place

Overnight stays can start from the 17th April in your household or single and in self contained accommodation

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly looks challenging from the drone footage of each hole on the website! Need to be driving the ball well that day.
Yes, I believe you need to drive across a valley a few times (valley is too dramatic but i can't think of the right description). Definitely one where your tee shots need to be on the ball.