Open 2021

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Koepka moaning on local BBC news that the course isn't to his liking, too many blind tee shots, undulating fairways etc etc prefers St Andrews and Portrush

That's not really what happened if you watch his press conference.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's not really what happened if you watch his press conference.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/golf...georges-british-open-its-not-my-favorite/amp/

Royal St. George’s isn’t Brooks Koepka’s cup of tea.

“It’s not my favorite venue that we’ve played,” the four-time major champion said Tuesday of the links in Sandwich, England, that rests near the sea southeast of London and is hosting the 149th edition of the British Open. “Quite a few blind tee shots, kind of hitting to nothing. Fairways are quite undulating. I don’t know, it’s not my favorite of the rotation, put it that way.”

No, his favorites would be the Old Course at St. Andrews, which he said is likely his favorite place in the world to play golf, and Royal Portrush. Still, his distaste for Royal St. George’s – which many players have called quirky and plays to a par of 70 stretched over 7,189 yards – won’t get to him as he tries to add a Claret Jug to his major haul.

USATSI_16398162.jpg

Brooks Koepka practices his putting with caddie Ricky Elliot during a practice round for the British Open at Royal St. George’s. (Sandra Mailer-USA TODAY Sports)
“I’ve won on golf courses that I’m not a big fan of before,” he said. “It has nothing to do with it. Still got to get up and go hit the shot and do what I’m supposed to do, so that doesn’t bug me. I don’t care whether I like the place, don’t like it.

“(Royal St. George’s), it’s just not as exciting. I don’t know why. Whether it be a couple shots to nothing, a couple blind tee shots or shots in where you can’t really see much. I’m not too big of a fan of that.”

Ironically, on a vacation in 2003 that included a stop at Royal St. George’s for the final round of the Open Championship, kid Koepka fell in love with links golf. With his mother and brother, Chase, who also plays professional golf, the three played St. Andrews and Carnoustie and watched the final round when Ben Curtis shocked the golf world in winning the oldest championship in golf.

“I’ve always enjoyed coming over here. I’ve always enjoyed playing links golf. I think it takes a lot of creativity and imagination,” Koepka said. “In the States a lot of times you just throw it up high in the air and the ball is going to stop, where (in links golf) you’ve really got to pay attention where the ball is going to bounce into the green. You might have 50 yards, but you’ve got about six clubs you could play.

“I think that’s fun. It brings out the creative side. I love it.”

Koepka, however, got scolded by his mother on the trip. As they watched the final round of the 2003 Open – Chase even had a brief exchange with Tiger Woods on the back nine – Koepka got tired.

“I ended up falling asleep right in the little pavilion to the right of 18 and didn’t even see the finish,” he said. “I remember getting yelled at by my mom; I didn’t bring you over here to fall asleep kind of deal. But it was fun. We enjoyed the whole trip, and it was a cool family trip.”

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm going on Thursday and can't wait! How easy is it to follow players round? Is it easier if their tee time is really early? Are there any good things to do or areas to visit at the open too other than the range (stands from certain manufacturers, any sky sports type stuff etc)?

Also is the park and ride thing quite easy to do? Presumably it'll be staggered with people arriving and leaving at different times? Thanks!
I've never had a problem with the Park and Ride or following groups other than the really biggest names but have not been to St Georges.
I find binoculars useful to take and I quite like having a radio with headphones so you can follow what is happening elsewher if it is quiet where youare sat. The Open can be followed both on its own dedicated channel and on BBC5L.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
watching the practice overage on Sky and apparently no one had put their name down on the time sheet with Patrick Read when someone last looked :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MB200

Visit site
Hi all, heading to The Open on Saturday and very excited!

Does anyone know where/or how far away, the taxi drop off is?

Thanks!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all, heading to The Open on Saturday and very excited!

Does anyone know where/or how far away, the taxi drop off is?

Thanks!
I'd be tempted to drop off in sandwich and take a stroll along the canal, if he's pickng you up there's load of pubs to have a drink in , if you can get in of course ?

Sandwich, and a dedicated, traffic-free walking route will be provided between the train station and Royal St George's Golf Club, which will take around 15-20 minutes

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
watching the practice overage on Sky and apparently no one had put their name down on the time sheet with Patrick Read when someone last looked :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I seen that and thought that's a bit of a lost opportunity for some guys, especially younger and rookie types. Maybe that's why he is a great, albeit disliked, competitor..."no one likes me and that's just fine - I'll show them" sort of attitude. All said, the guy has some ability around the greens (& is a major champion), hard to believe no-one thought a practice round with him had any merit.

sunshine

Visit site
I seen that and thought that's a bit of a lost opportunity for some guys, especially younger and rookie types. Maybe that's why he is a great, albeit disliked, competitor..."no one likes me and that's just fine - I'll show them" sort of attitude. All said, the guy has some ability around the greens (& is a major champion), hard to believe no-one thought a practice round with him had any merit.
terrific bunker player too

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just had a tip from a man "in the know" (used to be part of the BBC Golf production team) that Marc Leishman is the man to watch this weekend.

Can anyone fill in the blanks and tell me whether he's been impressive in practice rounds etc?

I tend to trust the guys picks to be fair hes won me a bit of money in the past.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Working from home means that The Open will be on one of my monitors non stop for the next couple of days - so that's a major plus.

On the down side - I realised today that I'm going to spend all of Sunday travelling and sitting photographing a football match so I'll see none of the final round - I love my football but missing the last round is a major downer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had a tip from a man "in the know" (used to be part of the BBC Golf production team) that Marc Leishman is the man to watch this weekend.

Can anyone fill in the blanks and tell me whether he's been impressive in practice rounds etc?

I tend to trust the guys picks to be fair hes won me a bit of money in the past.

Swear every single major someone says he is one to watch

Either he is on the verge of just looks outstanding in practice all time but can't bring it to the event