Open 2021

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I'm going on Thursday and can't wait! How easy is it to follow players round? Is it easier if their tee time is really early? Are there any good things to do or areas to visit at the open too other than the range (stands from certain manufacturers, any sky sports type stuff etc)?

Also is the park and ride thing quite easy to do? Presumably it'll be staggered with people arriving and leaving at different times? Thanks!
I've been to a few Opens but not Royal St Georges so the viewing may be different to my experience. I've never found it a problem to follow a player and see most/all of the shots, Rory is an exception to this - he gets massive crowds, Bryson's first appearance on these shores since he bulked up may draw a big audience too. Thursday and Friday tend to be good days for following a group.

Not sure what they will have in the tented village this time given the pandemic but at Carnoustie in 2018 they had an autograph area which got visits from some of the players. Sky have their Sky Zone thing which draws a crowd (at the range I think) - At Carnoustie Harry Kane, Jordan Pickford and boxer Carl Froch were some of the celebs they had hitting shots there.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Zach Johnson and Louis de Jager the latest to withdraw having tested positive. Think thats 16 withdrawn and its only monday, more than 10% of those qualified!

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Do they call up replacements or just reduce the field?

There’s a waiting list. Many of those who do get the call up won’t mind getting their chance. In years to come we will remember the winner, and those who even played just two rounds maybe for the only time in their life will have a story to tell. No one will remember who wasn’t there.

I’m going on Friday. Can’t wait!

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do they call up replacements or just reduce the field?

long reserve list to the point some reserves will turn up thursday at crack of dawn and sit there until the last guy goes off hoping to get in!

think 20 of those who had qualified are now not playing, 15 replacements named so far lol, hard to keep up with

sunshine

Visit site
long reserve list to the point some reserves will turn up thursday at crack of dawn and sit there until the last guy goes off hoping to get in!

think 20 of those who had qualified are now not playing, 15 replacements named so far lol, hard to keep up with

It's ok because there will be hundreds of people out on the course wearing golf shoes and dressed all ready for an emergency call up.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just looking at the weather. Looks like it's going to be sunny with a stiffish n/ne breeze. As that's not the prevailing direction, I wonder how the course will play? Sometimes the holes are designed for the normal wind direction, but although I played St G many years ago, I can't remember if this might be a factor.

evemccc

Visit site
I'm going on Thursday and can't wait! How easy is it to follow players round? Is it easier if their tee time is really early? Are there any good things to do or areas to visit at the open too other than the range (stands from certain manufacturers, any sky sports type stuff etc)?

Also is the park and ride thing quite easy to do? Presumably it'll be staggered with people arriving and leaving at different times? Thanks!
I went on Sunday
turned up and saw DJ tee off the first and so walked round all 18 with DJ, Rickie, and Pat Cantlay
They were having a money-match and it was fairly competitive with their ‘game ball’ being played throughout as well as dropping lots of other balls in and around the green and bunkers

To see one of the present day greats for all 18 at a close view was something I’d have paid a lot more for

Btw it looked like Rickie was killing it in their ‘match’ - DJ is so relaxed in his swing, seems so effortless..And he smoked his bomb-drive down the centre of the 14th! I don’t think Pat Cantlay ever had the honour - don’t bet on him!

Great day at RSG

The park and ride works pretty well

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Someone was saying that they lost six balls off the 1st tee yesterday which might be interesting come Thursday

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right, I have just put my bets on, so these are the cursed few for the rest of you to avoid: Rahm, Koepka, Morikawa, Casey, Rose, Min Woo Lee.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Rahm on how his body works is pretty fascinating

Attachments

• 040E7034-F038-49A2-B7C0-1FD3DD21701D.jpeg
    040E7034-F038-49A2-B7C0-1FD3DD21701D.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 15

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Koepka moaning on local BBC news that the course isn't to his liking, too many blind tee shots, undulating fairways etc etc prefers St Andrews and Portrush

D

Deleted member 3432

Koepka moaning on local BBC news that the course isn't to his liking, too many blind tee shots, undulating fairways etc etc prefers St Andrews and Portrush

Blind tee shots and undulating fairways, never get bored playing this type of links golf :love::love::love::love: