One tip that changed your game?

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought this would be an interesting thread as a relative newcomer.

What one tip have you gathered along the way that made the most improvement to your game? Whether that be a mechanical thing, a mental thing or anything else? Almost a ‘I wish I knew that back then’ type thing.

For me in the last couple of weeks it’s been keeping my left arm straighter in the backswing, it’s made a big difference to the consistency of my striking.

For you?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought this would be an interesting thread as a relative newcomer.

What one tip have you gathered along the way that made the most improvement to your game? Whether that be a mechanical thing, a mental thing or anything else? Almost a ‘I wish I knew that back then’ type thing.

For me in the last couple of weeks it’s been keeping my left arm straighter in the backswing, it’s made a big difference to the consistency of my striking.

For you?

Not really a tip but more of realisation.

Whenever I was playing well, then hit a bad shot, I got in my head and tried to fix my swing or get angry at myself.

Then watching the pros play I realised how often they miss greens, either pushing or pulling, even the dreaded shanks.

And I thought if these guys, the very best in the world do it regularly why am I beating myself up. Just get to your ball and hit a better shot.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
"if you think you hit a 7 iron 155yds, hit a 6 iron. Truthfully, you know your best 7 iron is 155yds, but in reality its usually shorter."

For the odd occasion you hit the 6 iron perfectly you'll only be 10 paces past the middle of the green and, probably still on the green. Hitting the 7 iron short might just bring bunkers into play.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
"if you think you hit a 7 iron 155yds, hit a 6 iron. Truthfully, you know your best 7 iron is 155yds, but in reality its usually shorter."

For the odd occasion you hit the 6 iron perfectly you'll only be 10 paces past the middle of the green and, probably still on the green. Hitting the 7 iron short might just bring bunkers into play.

I would change that tip to make sure you really get to know your yardages.

D

Deleted Member 1156

A couple come to mind that were passed on to me.

1) make sure you are looking at the ball when the club makes contact.

2) hit it BETTER not HARDER.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Learn to Chip and Putt.

I always looked to bump and run from everywhere, and if I had to chip it was usually a thin or a fat. Learned to chip and everything fell into place for me.

At the time I was playing off 21, able to strike the ball ok, but if I missed numerous greens as you'd expect. Suddenly I was able to chip and from 21 I tumbledto 8 in 6 months thanks to learning to chip. I practiced 3/4 times a week for an hour at a time. I also used to leave alot of putts short (6ft short when putting from 15ft plus), but now I like to scare the hole at least by giving it a chance to go in.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I would change that tip to make sure you really get to know your yardages.

So your tip is "really know your yardages."

The tip I was given made a positive difference, therefore it was a good tip. I also decide what my yardages are on any given day by how well I hit the ball into the first few greens. What might be a (nominal) 7 iron yardage based on my averages might actually turn out to be an 8 iron on that day because I'm swinging well, or 6 iron if the timing is a little out. In other words balance what you think your yardage is with the 'on the day' knowledge of how you're playing. Sometimes, dialling it back a bit if your swing is a bit off can help turn an iffy round into a good one.

D

Deleted member 16999

Stay in the moment and play one shot at a time, one hole at a time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea. My swing is the result of about four year's worth of trial and error on the driving range, videos watched on YouTube, advice read on here, and things I've picked up from watching the pros.

I suppose one of the most important tips is just to get the ball in play. Like a lot of people I used to try and hit it as far as possible out of the rough, through gaps in trees, and half the time it doesn't work. Or aim for the pin when it's tucked away near a bunker. Instead of those, 'keep the ball in play' says take the easier route back to the fairway and then have a shot to the green, or play it to the middle of the green where you're free of trouble. Since starting to think this way I've made a lot more 5s rather than 6s and 7s off the back of poor tee shots I would say.

D

Deleted member 18121

In the days of the infomercial on sky I saw one for "dalton mccrary straight shootin golf" - I bought the DVD and it changed my swing and my thoughts immeasurably.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Course management.

Don't try and birdie every hole. Taking on shots that are hard is going to bring a lot more risk into play.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
So your tip is "really know your yardages."

The tip I was given made a positive difference, therefore it was a good tip. I also decide what my yardages are on any given day by how well I hit the ball into the first few greens. What might be a (nominal) 7 iron yardage based on my averages might actually turn out to be an 8 iron on that day because I'm swinging well, or 6 iron if the timing is a little out. In other words balance what you think your yardage is with the 'on the day' knowledge of how you're playing. Sometimes, dialling it back a bit if your swing is a bit off can help turn an iffy round into a good one.

That's previously my tip, to many high handicappers like you have said know there best yardages.

If toy want to improve, spend some time learning how far you hit each club, it will change as you improve.

The tip you used I is fine when starting out, but as you get better and your strikes more consistent you'll be flying the 6I through the green more often

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a tip but an observation

I watched Greg Norman completely knobble a 3 wood off the fairway.

My thoughts were " if somebody that good can do it. why am I getting upset when I do it?" made me a bit more relaxed about my game.