One shot at Pebble Beach?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
If you had one shot at Pebble Beach what would it be?

A few here have been so what was the stand-out moment of the day?

I’ve always pictured myself piping one onto the beach with my approach at 8 so will go with that rather than any heroics at 7 or 18

Swango1980

Visit site
I think the 2nd shot at the par 5 6th (I think), up and over the cliff. However, I'd like to spend a few months getting extensive lessons on my long irons / woods beforehand. I'd hate to get that opportunity cold, and then fat it 5 yards.

D

Deleted member 23270

TBH Pebble Beach is a course that has never really appealed to me, I think it is massively overrated. Some excellent holes along the beach but the inland holes are just not up to the required standard for a 'world class' course. I think it is a classic case of somewhere that got a bit of good publicity then really cashed in on it to create a bit of aura. There are many other examples of clifftop courses around the world that are much better IMHO.

Swango1980

Visit site
TBH Pebble Beach is a course that has never really appealed to me, I think it is massively overrated. Some excellent holes along the beach but the inland holes are just not up to the required standard for a 'world class' course. I think it is a classic case of somewhere that got a bit of good publicity then really cashed in on it to create a bit of aura. There are many other examples of clifftop courses around the world that are much better IMHO.
Pebble Beach is probably 2nd course on my list of ones I'd love to play, the 1st being Augusta. Why Pebble Beach? Purely because I played it so much on the Sega Megadrive and Playstation in my youth, so I felt I grew to know the course extremely well. Especially when I started watching golf, and Pebble Beach featured on tour at least once annually, at this time of year when we are all getting excited about the season starting.

So, I reckon EA Sports video games have had a massive influence on its appeal.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think I’d go for the tee shot on 7th as well , I do like a elevated tee and would give me a slim chance of a par.

Btw Mark did you ever look into the reason why there were no z stars available when I tried to subscribe?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
7th for me, I reckon with the wind howling it'd be one of the hardest yet satisfying holes to play on.

AAC

Visit site
I haven't played the course but have had breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the 1st tee, during the course of breakfast I watched corporate america knobbing tee shot after tee shot, so anything further than 100yards down and on the first fairway would do for me

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surprised no one is going for the drive on 18th - the ultimate risk/reward ;)

Seen enough of reviews saying it’s not that great as a course and as an experience. Yet a former England’s Golf president, who needless to say played a few top courses, told me it was his most memorable experience.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Think I’d go for the tee shot on 7th as well , I do like a elevated tee and would give me a slim chance of a par.

Btw Mark did you ever look into the reason why there were no z stars available when I tried to subscribe?

I'll pass it on, imagine it's a problem with distribution but will check

Golfnut1957

Visit site
8th is my favourite hole at Pebble, so the shot from the top of the cliff to the green would be the one. I would hope it would be my 2nd shot but......

As an aside the 2nd most annoying thing in life is how every year during the broadcast CBS and Golf Channel manage to have their hiatus while handing over just as the leaders reach 7 & 8, drives me nuts.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
If you had one shot at Pebble Beach what would it be?

A few here have been so what was the stand-out moment of the day?

I’ve always pictured myself piping one onto the beach with my approach at 8 so will go with that rather than any heroics at 7 or 18
Second into 18 - 235 yards - fairway wood - and Daniel Berger hitting it for me (y)