Old Farts v Whippersnappers 2019!!!! Sun 30th June/Monday 1st July.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
I had to attend an RTA in the early hours of this morning down in Cambridgeshire. Unfortunately the driver was badly injured.

Apologies to Smiffy, Kraxx, Louise & all those attending this year for not letting you know sooner & of course before my tee-time this morning.

Hope to see you all later in the year.
Cheers!
Radbourne

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I had to attend an RTA in the early hours of this morning down in Cambridgeshire. Unfortunately the driver was badly injured.

Apologies to Smiffy, Kraxx, Louise & all those attending this year for not letting you know sooner & of course before my tee-time this morning.

Hope to see you all later in the year.
Cheers!
Radbourne

We know you better than to think you’d bail without a good reason Mark, hope everything sorts itself out okay.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Fabulous meet as always, congratulations to the Whippersnappers, mind you we thought we had best let you win one, other there would have been a collective spitting out of dummies 😂😂

Nice work Rob and Stu, and thanks to everyone for making my carer so welcome, she thoroughly enjoyed herself. 👍😎

Last edited:

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Rob for all you did in organising a great few days.
Course was in great condition given all the traffic I'm sure it receives.
Raised just shy of £300 for Prostate Cancer UK. Thanks everyone for digging in your pockets at dinner, means a lot and they were delighted when I spoke to them on the phone today.
Will drop it in tomorrow morning.
Cant wait for next year!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thanks Smiffy and all involved in organising for another brilliant couple of days! :)

Great to see so many old and new faces, just a shame I played like a knob for both days.

A 5&4 or 6&4 defeat in the 4BBB on Sunday.
Today lost in the the singles 3 and 1 to Jim, had so many chances in this one but we both played some poor golf and it almost became a competition to see who could play the worst, in fact it did, and I won!

To round off a great couple of days I made a detour on the way home to collect a set of Penfold International, clubs 1, 3 & 4 laminated woods and 3 to SW irons. The irons have a bit of a Ben Hogan Producer look to them if you're familiar with that model, if not I'll be posting some pictures in the Vintage Golf thread later so keep you're eyes peeled. ;)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another superb weekend away. Jimboh and I descended upon Englandshire from Glasgow, arriving at Pleasington GC on Friday around 10am. Great value at £40pp including a buggy. Course was lovely too- very tight in places. Good welcome on arrival and it's definitely a course I'd return to. Beat Jimboh 4&3.

Slightly burnt, we headed on to Formby Hall GC. Got a decent price on this a while ago. We were due to tee off at 4pm and were told in advance we couldn't book a buggy as by the time we were finished, the buggies would all be getting a clean. We must have played through at least 4 groups in buggies during our round, which was a bit rubbish. Course was OK. Some good holes, some average. Had a run in with an idiot of a member there. Wouldn't return to play this course- too long in places, greens burnt and no real finesse. Lost 1 down.

Saturday saw us rock up to Bolton Old Links GC. After a disappointing experience at Formby Hall, we were really chuffed to have picked a cracker. It was a 4BBB open. Great course, although a bit of a slog up and down hills at times. James and I played well but didn't putt at all well (hahahaha @louise_a ) and finished net one under. Very average score but a placed I'd return to any time for a game.

Then, the pièce de résistance- Forest Pines. I had a really good time as always, despite the bumpy start to attempting to find everybody! I then bumped into @chrisd who told me you'd all been chucked out up to the clubhouse bar. A new experience picking my dinner from the pro shop, but that's the way they wanted it, so be it. Courses were in great nick. First round was me and Jimboh against @louise_a and @grumpyjock . I had 'one of those days' where every putt I looked at went in. Getting up and down from 80 yards? Easy. Sand saves? Piece of cake. I must have rolled in 100 feet of putts. 2 over after 12 and the game was done. I'd be embarrassed, or even modest, but good rounds don't happen often to me, so I allowed myself to enjoy that one. 7&6 to the 'Snappers.

Had a lovely round agains Dhan today and while my putter wasn't as red hot as yesterday, I played pretty steady throughout. A nice chip in from the side of the green on the 1st set me up, and then found myself 3 up after 3. Lots of halved holes, but kept nibbling away and ended up winning (I think) 6&4. Unlucky Dhan- you didn't play badly. Thanks to Jan and Glynn for the company. Their match was good fun and @teegirl is a seriously dangerous player off 18.

A huge thanks to Smiffy for his organisation. Must be a right pain to pull this together. Your efforts are really appreciated. Hope everyone gets home safe and well and hope to see you soon.

Dave

Attachments

• Pleasington2.jpg
    Pleasington2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Pleasington.jpg
    Pleasington.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 13
  • FP2.jpg
    FP2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 12
  • FP.jpg
    FP.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 12

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just got in from a great weekend at forest pines. It look longer getting than planned getting home as I needed a nap!
It was great to see everyone and well done smiffy for organising it- I’m sure it’s easier to herd cats!
Put me down for a double room again next year

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Excellent 2-days of banter with some good and not so good golf thrown in.

Sunday paired up with Crow, unfortunately I didn’t support him very well as I had the hooks and was fighting my driver most of the round. As such we had to give way 5&4 to Dando & LetItRip, we had some fun out there though 😜

I then had a great singles match against Badger, giving him 3 shots and then watching him out drive me consistently was worrying 😳
He went 2-up on the front 9 (Beeches), but my 5 over gross on the back 9 (Forest) with a double in there was enough to claw that back & win 2&1😎

Pinnacle shift was taking a shot off him on the index 2, I birdied to his par for a half but it didn’t let him back in and felt more like a win😎
A very very good match and he shouldn’t be off 20 for long, he hits too good a ball 👍

The other 2 reprobates we played with were good company, again some great banter, but when you’ve been poleaxed with a ball to the groin, and your rolling around on the floor, you know who your mates are when their pishing themselves laughing and taking photos😳

Great day, chalk & cheese performances over the 2-days 🤔

Thanks Rob 👍👏👏

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A great couple of days again Smiffy and many thanks for organising.

Thanks to my playing partners Fragger, Butchercd and Zaro on day one for being great company. Neither Fragger nor me were at our best and with Butchercd holing out from 100 yards and Zaro's great approach play on the back nine we were well beaten.

On day two I carried on hitting great straight drives (mostly) and then perplexing my playing partners by being so poor with any other club in my hand. After being 4 down after six against Topoftheflop, who had an excellent first nine, I thought i was in for a hammering, but drew level after twelve. I then lost the next three before a late rally meant I was one down with one to play. Topoftheflop held his nerve and played the last well and unfortunately I did not and so the match was lost. Only later I realised how important that half could have been. The match was played in great spirit and was interesting to hear, Craig, of your outstanding achievements as a dancer. Many thanks too to Old Fart and Dale Bennett for sharing an enjoyable fourball this morning.

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So sorry to have shanked that ball into you,but as you say it was funny watching you rolling about. A pleasure to have a round of golf with you and badger, my commiserations to john my game.it was an enjoyable 2 days of golf congratulations to rob for the organisation and herding the cats. A job well done and already looking forward to next year.
A pleasure to meet old and new friends lets hope it continues for many years.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
An great couple of days and tiring, I collapsed on the bed when I got home and slept for 2 hours.
Great organisation by Smiffy, it cant be easy, Played with Grumpy Jock on Sunday against the Scottish duo of Virtuosity and Jimboh, Dave's magic putter was something else and we were well beaten. After a nice evening I was ready for battle this morning but sadly my opponent didn't show, had a nice round with Nick (Crow) and Jim who had a close match and I did score 34 points myself so quite pleased although a strange round on the Beeches nothing but pars and bogies and on the Forest a mixed bag with 2 birdies but also 2 blobs.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Got in about 9.30 last night after a horror delay at the Dartford crossing. Great week-end, despite the fact that I played dross. Only to be expected though.
Was good to meet up with everyone again, just reminds me what this forum is all about.
Will book it up again for next year, likely to be a little earlier so that it ties in with the holiday I have already booked. Watch this space (or one like it).
Apologies for the couple of little cock ups I made with the rooming arrangements, won't happen again.
And thank you all for my card & gift. Really, (really), much appreciated.
Rob

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The other 2 reprobates we played with were good company, again some great banter, but when you’ve been poleaxed with a ball to the groin, and your rolling around on the floor, you know who your mates are when their pishing themselves laughing and taking photos😳

Great day, chalk & cheese performances over the 2-days 🤔

Thanks Rob 👍👏👏

So sorry to have shanked that ball into you,but as you say it was funny watching you rolling about. A pleasure to have a round of golf with you and badger, my commiserations to john my game.it was an enjoyable 2 days of golf congratulations to rob for the organisation and herding the cats. A job well done and already looking forward to next year.
A pleasure to meet old and new friends lets hope it continues for many years.

Do we need to start a thread on the correct standing position... ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Talking to a number of the forum members I think the feeling is that this meet is one of the most enjoyable ones we do, which is testament to Smiffy for all his hard work getting it together and Stuart for his efforts behind the scenes and over the two days - cheers guys!

2 enjoyable days of golf for me on a really good 3 x 9 hole loop, I only wish my game reflected the amount of work I've done in the last 8 months to improve, luckily BIM and I managed to win our pairs match and and Dave (Khamelion) finally took pity on an old boy and let me add another point to the Farts tally. Thanks to Topofthefop and Dale for their company on Sunday.

If Mrs Wookie reads the forum - your husband managed to arrive in bed at 4am, slightly inebriated, and then take part in the "Snoring for England" competition finals where he sadly lost out the Midnight (Guy) for his efforts remembered from an earlier Woburn meet 😩.

Like Smiffy, we got caught in the traffic incident at Lakeside and, as a consequence, the 4 hour journey up took 6 hours back 😣

Great to meet up with everyone and meet you newbies, a fabulous time so cheers Smiffy and Stu!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well finally arrived home in Inverness at 11.30 last night.
I really enjoyed the courses, even with all those tree's.

A big Thank You Smiffy for inviting me and it was nice to see you again 9 years after we last played together and its nice to see you have improved;):ROFLMAO:

also a big thank you to my PP Dan, Greg, Kraxx and most of all Mr 11 wood Ray ( who i'd also played with some 9 years ago at the big GM meet at Castle Stuart), i enjoyed you company and regret not having my A game with me to make more of a match of it after being resoundingly beaten by Ray and Dan on the Sunday and Spanked by Ray in the singles, both played very very well and had me under pressure on pretty much every hole.

Thanks Guys, hope you can get up here again and let me return you hospitality.(y)(y)