Ok, so you got me riled......

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why?

We were playing a semi final of the European championship, which is not easy to get to, against possibly the best team in Europe, certainly the best in the UK.

And we lost.

The better team won, and to judge the performance of the team/manager/club on that one game is daft. Once that first goal went in, every player on the pitch knew it was over, and so did the managers. At that point, yes, heads dropped, but I guarantee you, every other club in European football would have done the same. Very few clubs are going to turn United over by 3 goals.

To Arsenals credit, they did at least try, RVP especially. There is nothing to be ashamed about.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Parmo, most European teams are looking to Africa, as their players are good, and physical too. They are also cheap. Arsenal are no different in this than anyone else.

For premiership clubs, their catchment area for recruiting local kids is about 3 miles from their grounds. This is done to prevent big clubs poaching all the decent youngsters from local lesser clubs. As a result, uness you are fortunate to have incredibly talented kids in your immediate localle, then you are forced to look abroad. Ironically, this hinders the developement of the very kids it was intended to stop. All the big clubs are in the same boat. So most buy foreign kids.

Strangely, alot of the Arsenal youngsters are english. Will they succeed at the club? I doubt it. However, the skills they are learning mean they will appear in other premiership and championship clubs. This is still a good thing, even if they don't play for Arsenal.

Anyway, what is the problem with giving an African player the chance to change his life. 5 years ago Adebayor was playing beach football in Togo, because he couldn't afford boots. Should he have been left there? Isn't that worse than being exploited on 80,000 a week?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
He is, but he drifts in and out, and the more you watch him, the more you realise he doesn't work hard enough. Talented though. Very much in the mould of Kanu.

Sneds, it isn't about being satisfied, it is about expectations. I don't expect Arsenal to win as much as you clearly do, as I know more about their financial situation, and the restraints they operate under as a business.

I bet if you were a fan of Watford, you wouldn't be satisfied that they are a mid table championship team. However, that is where they are, and tbh, that is where they deserve to be, given the circumstances they are in. Arsenal are no different, and the fans were spoiled a bit when we were winning stuff. This is more the exception, rather than the norm.

D

Deleted member 1740

And we have the best manager.

Looks like the best manager got his tactics wrong again
Thats it. I'm ignoring Liverpool's CL win because it was in 2005.

Why haven't the Arsenal won it then?

If you're happy with a team that hasn't won the Premier League EVER, support Liverpool

:D :D :D Pathetic. Let me tell you something, Football was invented way before 1992 and sky you know.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's fine, so you're content that your team matches it's expectations. To be part of the final 4 teams in europe this season is definitely good for Arsenal, although you're not likely to get an easier draw.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The once critiscism I have with Arsenal is that even when they are always looking for the perfect goal or to walk the ball in even when they are behind and a bit of old fashioned route one may be more profitable.

As a football fan (and Fulham - 1-0 to the super whites!!) I do enjoy watching them play but I don't agree with everything. I think there is an exciting crop of youngsters coming through but there are a number of clubs that are in the same position and have decent youth teams

I think the league is beyond Arsenal unless there are some buys in the summer. I think Arshavin will be great next year but there needs to be more bite in midfield and a good holding player (like Alonso) to link the play up. I think you miss an out and out poacher like Torres too.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Murph
Middle sized club? you gotta be joking. Arsenal are one of THE big clubs. Have been for years. Have aspirations to stay there. What is the ground capacity? You don't go that big if you expect 25,000 fans in. For me, a middle sized club gets between 25 & 30,000 fans. Any team that hit the 40k mark are big clubs, like it or not.
Arsenal SHOULD be up there, history, tradition & wealth all tick the boxes. You may argue that they are not wealthy, if that's the case, why did they spend so much on a mega stadium?
They wouldn't have funded it if they didn't think they would fill it, otherwise, why move from Highbury, which was also a great stadium. Team successis crucial.

Dare I suggest Hangeland (sp) for their back 4 and Yaya Toure for the midfield or Gareth Barry. All should fall within their budget.

Alonso as an holding midfielder? I don't think so.
S Davis at Rangers looked a good prospect when he was at Aston Villa also,
Zakora
Sissoko
De Rossi
Mascerano
And last but by no means a name you gooners want to hear.

Diarra :D ;)

mono217

Journeyman Pro
i707.photobucket.com
This is a pro Arsenal post, so for any Spurs fans out there, look away now ( or argue the toss, whichever is more fun ;) )

This stuff about Arsenal not winning anything is raising it's rediculous head again.

There are 2 teams in the country that have won anything worthwhile in the last few years. Man Utd and Chelski.

That's it. I'm ignoring Liverpool's CL win because it was in 2005.

So....

Arsenal are in the top 4 of the League ( again ). Last year we were favourites to win the League until Eduardo got crocked, and our season fell apart. ( Chelsea have shown this year how hard it is to go all the way when your top goal scorer is unavailable ).

I honestly believe that we would have gone on to win the title if that hadn't happened. Ok, so our squad isn't the strongest. Well that just makes it more impressive that we can hang around with the big boys the way we do.

And I do mean the big boys. Wenger made sure we were competitive all the while we were playing on a level playing field. In fact for a few years there in the early part of the century, we were the best team in the country.

Then Chelski and Abramovic came in and raised the ante, financially.

That's what has caused Arsenal the problems we are suffering nowadays. We are not one of the biggest clubs financially. We never have been one of the richest clubs just because..... Whenever we have any money it's because we have earned it.

Arsenal are one of loads of London clubs. We're not just one of two like most Cities have. Man Utd and Liverpool have always ( well in the last 40 years anyway ) had a monopoly on their city's fanbase, and so have been assured of huge sums of money. ( Other cities, like Newcastle also have huge sums of money coming in, but they haven't achieved as much as Arsenal have in the last 20 years, or ever as the case may be ).

Chelsea raised the batton, financially, and only Man Utd were big enough to go with them. Since then, Liverpool, and now Man City have jumped on the bandwagon of selling out to multi millionaire owners plowing money in hand over fist.

To varying shades of success, and the integrity of the club.

Arsenal have NEVER been a club to buy success. ( Apart from the 1920s, maybe - I'm not sure, I can't remember it so well nowadays ). In the 70s we had the best youth policy, but couldn't hold on to Brady or Stapleton because of our wage structure. Similarly in the late 80s and early 90s.

Our board have ALWAYS looked at the long term security of the club. We have the best board in the country. How many times over the years have we needed to query the motives of our owners ?

At the moment we can't / won't run the risk of financial ruin because of players' wage demands. But we have invested hugely in the best stadium in the country. Which is a drain on what money we do have, limiting Wengers budget to buy players.

I could go on ( even more than I have ), but you get the drift.

Arsenal haven't won anything worthwhile in the last 4 years. But then who has ? Man Utd and Chelsea.

I don't respect Chelsea's achievements - sorry but it's true. With that kind of money if anything it's a disgrace that they haven't walked off with everything. If I was Abramovic, I'd be thinking about giving up, then where do Chelsea go ? Only one way.

Man Utd are the best team in the country. Horrible to say, but true. Their manger has proven himself time and again, although I can't stand him as a personality. BUT they only managed to hang on by selling out to the highest bidder, and putting themselves at huge financial risk. At the moment they are carrying it off, but, having seen what happened to Leeds, what happens if they have that one bad season ? It appears the American gamble is working, at least temporarily.

Liverpool have spend millions on nearly getting better.

Spurs have yoyo'd up and down without quite knowing what they are trying to achieve - are they aiming for the CL or fighting off relegation, I dunno.

Newcastle are laughable. Villa aren't quite good enough. Everton need more money. City need a new boss.

Etc, etc, etc. If I haven't mentioned your side, that's because you're not as good as we are.

So.......

Arsenal are the second best team in the country at the moment.

But we have the best stadium.

The best youth development set up.

We play the best football.

For all you closet fans, and Arsenal bashers alike, stick it where it don't shine. If you want success at any cost support Chelsea. If you're happy running the risk of your success collapsing round you like it did to Leeds, support Man utd, by all means. If you're happy with a team that hasn't won the Premier League EVER, support Liverpool.

Or Spurs. Or Newcastle. Or Middlesborough. Or Everton. Or basically anyone you want.

But please, don't try to tell me that not winning the Premiership is reason to sack your manager. Otherwise every club in the country would be doing it. Oh yeah they have been - only it doesn't work does it.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

WOW your bitter. liverpool are the better side and we deserve the prem.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mono

The team that wins the title deserves it. It is a 38 game season and the one with the most points, then deserve it.
If, in 4 games time that is Liverpool, so be it. If not, then they didn't deserve it

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
From a nutrals point of view I can't understand why Wenger has had all this money to spend in the last 3 years and hasn't done so. I think he is using it as a smoke screen to weigh in money to pay for the stadium.

Wenger will not win the league with Arsenal because if they dont start threatening the bug 2 then people like Fabregas will be on their way to Spain or Italy.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a pro Arsenal post, so for any Spurs fans out there, look away now ( or argue the toss, whichever is more fun ;) )

This stuff about Arsenal not winning anything is raising it's rediculous head again.

There are 2 teams in the country that have won anything worthwhile in the last few years. Man Utd and Chelski.

That's it. I'm ignoring Liverpool's CL win because it was in 2005.

So....

Arsenal are in the top 4 of the League ( again ). Last year we were favourites to win the League until Eduardo got crocked, and our season fell apart. ( Chelsea have shown this year how hard it is to go all the way when your top goal scorer is unavailable ).

I honestly believe that we would have gone on to win the title if that hadn't happened. Ok, so our squad isn't the strongest. Well that just makes it more impressive that we can hang around with the big boys the way we do.

And I do mean the big boys. Wenger made sure we were competitive all the while we were playing on a level playing field. In fact for a few years there in the early part of the century, we were the best team in the country.

Then Chelski and Abramovic came in and raised the ante, financially.

That's what has caused Arsenal the problems we are suffering nowadays. We are not one of the biggest clubs financially. We never have been one of the richest clubs just because..... Whenever we have any money it's because we have earned it.

Arsenal are one of loads of London clubs. We're not just one of two like most Cities have. Man Utd and Liverpool have always ( well in the last 40 years anyway ) had a monopoly on their city's fanbase, and so have been assured of huge sums of money. ( Other cities, like Newcastle also have huge sums of money coming in, but they haven't achieved as much as Arsenal have in the last 20 years, or ever as the case may be ).

Chelsea raised the batton, financially, and only Man Utd were big enough to go with them. Since then, Liverpool, and now Man City have jumped on the bandwagon of selling out to multi millionaire owners plowing money in hand over fist.

To varying shades of success, and the integrity of the club.

Arsenal have NEVER been a club to buy success. ( Apart from the 1920s, maybe - I'm not sure, I can't remember it so well nowadays ). In the 70s we had the best youth policy, but couldn't hold on to Brady or Stapleton because of our wage structure. Similarly in the late 80s and early 90s.

Our board have ALWAYS looked at the long term security of the club. We have the best board in the country. How many times over the years have we needed to query the motives of our owners ?

At the moment we can't / won't run the risk of financial ruin because of players' wage demands. But we have invested hugely in the best stadium in the country. Which is a drain on what money we do have, limiting Wengers budget to buy players.

I could go on ( even more than I have ), but you get the drift.

Arsenal haven't won anything worthwhile in the last 4 years. But then who has ? Man Utd and Chelsea.

I don't respect Chelsea's achievements - sorry but it's true. With that kind of money if anything it's a disgrace that they haven't walked off with everything. If I was Abramovic, I'd be thinking about giving up, then where do Chelsea go ? Only one way.

Man Utd are the best team in the country. Horrible to say, but true. Their manger has proven himself time and again, although I can't stand him as a personality. BUT they only managed to hang on by selling out to the highest bidder, and putting themselves at huge financial risk. At the moment they are carrying it off, but, having seen what happened to Leeds, what happens if they have that one bad season ? It appears the American gamble is working, at least temporarily.

Liverpool have spend millions on nearly getting better.

Spurs have yoyo'd up and down without quite knowing what they are trying to achieve - are they aiming for the CL or fighting off relegation, I dunno.

Newcastle are laughable. Villa aren't quite good enough. Everton need more money. City need a new boss.

Etc, etc, etc. If I haven't mentioned your side, that's because you're not as good as we are.

So.......

Arsenal are the second best team in the country at the moment.

But we have the best stadium.

The best youth development set up.

We play the best football.

For all you closet fans, and Arsenal bashers alike, stick it where it don't shine. If you want success at any cost support Chelsea. If you're happy running the risk of your success collapsing round you like it did to Leeds, support Man utd, by all means. If you're happy with a team that hasn't won the Premier League EVER, support Liverpool.

Or Spurs. Or Newcastle. Or Middlesborough. Or Everton. Or basically anyone you want.

But please, don't try to tell me that not winning the Premiership is reason to sack your manager. Otherwise every club in the country would be doing it. Oh yeah they have been - only it doesn't work does it.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

WOW your bitter. liverpool are the better side and we deserve the prem.
yup aresan aare [****] and so are their fans #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Looks like the best manager got his tactics wrong again
Thats it. I'm ignoring Liverpool's CL win because it was in 2005.

Why haven't the Arsenal won it then?

If you're happy with a team that hasn't won the Premier League EVER, support Liverpool

:D :D :D Pathetic. Let me tell you something, Football was invented way before 1992 and sky you know.

Don't think you quite get what this thread is about, do you.

I'm not criticising Liverpool for winning the CL - they done brilliant. BUT it was 4 years ago now, and it was their peak at the time - it wasn't a building block to future success.

Wenger is slated for not winning stuff. But over the same period of time Liverpool haven't won the league or CL, so they are in the same boat.

I'm not trying to recruit more fans, I'm trying to stop the witchhunt around Wenger. Like I said, if you're happy being a Liverpool fan, then good for you. But I think you'll be in the same boat as us at the end of the season.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The problem with arsenal and the other members of the 'big four' is they can never accept they are wrong / deserved to loose. There is always an excuse. I'm sorry but claiming you lost the league because Eduardo broke his leg...pull the other one!

Ding dong. :cool:

When Eduardo had his leg broken we were 5 points clear and cruising. We had won 5 out of the last 6 games and hadn't been beaten in the last 10 or 11.

Afterwards we won 1 game out of the next 8, drawing 5 and losing 2.

There was an obvious shift in form, partly caused by not having the most naturally talented goal scorer we've had in years up front.

Of course it's only my opinion that we would have gone all the way, and it's unprovable.

But even just looking at the facts and figures, we lost that title by 4 points.

That's not the stuff of a team that is in terminal decline.

This year has been tougher because we lost several players to transfers, and too many to injury. It's one of those seasons that all clubs have.

Look at Spurs this year if you don't believe me. At what point did you finally think that you were safe, and hand on heart, if I'd asked you last August, would you have even contemplated the dire time you've had this season yourself - you guys are, to my mind, a perfect example of why a club shouldn't sack a decent manager when he's having a tough spell.

Next year, if we can keep most of our players on the park, we'll have a better pop at the title, but it's tougher to win than it was 5 years ago, so I'm not holding my breath.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Look at Spurs this year if you don't believe me. At what point did you finally think that you were safe, and hand on heart, if I'd asked you last August, would you have even contemplated the dire time you've had this season yourself - you guys are, to my mind, a perfect example of why a club shouldn't sack a decent manager when he's having a tough spell .

I tend to agree with that. Ramos was different,though. Since he won us the League cup,he had won a total of 4 games up until his sacking. It wasn't just the start of this season that was bad,it was the last 3 months of the previous one,too. He had lost the dressing room & would've taken us down.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Wenger went to Madrid at the end of the season,replacing you know who....

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Seems like OP is pretty satisfied with not winning anything.

Absolutely :)

If I only supported my club in the times we won stuff, then I think I'd be a pretty piss poor fan.

If I managed to watch Arsenal in the 70s and 80s, then I think I deserve to be able to enjoy watching them nowadays.

Winning stuff is brilliant. 26th May 1989 will live with me forever. Any fan who hasn't experienced that feeling has my sympathy. Winning everything when you are less than a minute away from nothing is indescribably brilliant. Brilliant beyond words. Brilliant to the nth degree. But look at Liverpool in the 80s, and Man Utd nowadays. Their fans get to expect to win - the thrill is diluted. Some of our younger fans were getting that expectation in the early part of the decade as well.

Yes, winning stuff is brilliant. ( Have I not mentioned that :eek: ) But it's the exception, not the norm. It means I'll appreciate it more next time it comes around. Which it will.

In the meantime. Watching Gallas or Adams - no contest. Gallas isn't fit to clean his boots. But watching Gallas or Willie Young ? I'm satisfied at the moment. :cool:

But thanks for caring ;)

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The once critiscism I have with Arsenal is that even when they are always looking for the perfect goal or to walk the ball in even when they are behind and a bit of old fashioned route one may be more profitable.

As a football fan (and Fulham - 1-0 to the super whites!!) I do enjoy watching them play but I don't agree with everything. I think there is an exciting crop of youngsters coming through but there are a number of clubs that are in the same position and have decent youth teams

I think the league is beyond Arsenal unless there are some buys in the summer. I think Arshavin will be great next year but there needs to be more bite in midfield and a good holding player (like Alonso) to link the play up. I think you miss an out and out poacher like Torres too.

Can I let you into a secret. :)

Don't tell anyone but Wenger isn't perfect, donchaknow :p.

I sometimes think he lets players go too easily, and I'd prefer to have more English players in the squad. And I prefer Walcott as an out and out forward, rather than as a winger. When Adebayor fancies it, then we have a sort of route one option, but I'm not his greatest fan. If we can get a bigger stronger lad up front, I'd happily let him go for a huge payday. But with our best forward players all being shorties, and hugely talented at that, then we have to play to their strengths ( which can easily become their weaknesses, I know )

I always thought there's only one F in Fulham. Who've done fantastic this year as well. I never liked Roy Hodgson before he went to Fulham - I never realised he was a Croydon boy until then. But he's done well for them. And it's good to see AJ and Zamora playing well. My only criticism of them is that they don't score enough goals. ( D'yasee what I done there ;)) But seriously, you've got two damn good players who were hailed as being world beaters, who, thankfully for you, didn't quite get to the dizzy heights. Most of our young lads who we've seen these last few years will go on to have good careers, just maybe not at Arsenal.

:)