Oak Park Golf Club (Farnham Surrey)

batchworth

Visit site
Just a quick post, to see if anyone on here has recently played at Oak Park Golf Club, and if so could me know what the course is like.

I am going to play there on Friday with the other half, as it is part of the crown group and therefore free for us. Any reviews?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Batchworth is where Del C used to play, I miss his repartee and tales of putting yips.

I havn't played Oak Park but as its Crown Golf I guess it will be an ok sort of course.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played the Woodland course once a couple of years ago. Gets quite wet in places. The 10th is a tricky par 5 with a narrow fairway that doglegs right and then marches up a hill. Not a course I've wanted to rush back to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't played it myself for years but from what I hear from those who have more recently I'm afraid it could be very wet and slippery underfoot - so care needed on some steep slopes and spare socks or very waterproof shoes. And you'll have to watch carefully where your ball goes as a lot of the holes are through deciduous woodland and there may be be lots of leaves on the fairways.

Oak Park is in a lovely setting but not always best cared for or money spent on.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
thanks for the replies. It is a free round, so hopefully worth while

It'll be fine - the course layout is enjoyable enough and it is a lovely setting - and will certainly be worthwhile. But it does suffer after heavy rain from being so enclosed by mature deciduous woodland as that holds the water and it isn't on the sandy subsoil of many of the heathland courses in the area - and like many woodland courses they struggle to cope with the massive leaf fall this time of year.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I played there a few years back on a society day.

Course seemed to play quite short from what I remember and it was a wet day when we played so was a bit boggy in places. But was great fun to play from what I remembered.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not the greatest of courses. Some daft holes up and down the huge hill. Haven’t played since assistant greenkeeper killed all the greens and did a runner.:eek: That was a few years ago to be fair.

batchworth

Visit site
thought I would just post a brief report after going there on Friday:

the 18 hole course was very quiet, with only a two ball out in front of us, plus about 2 other groups that we saw through the day. The 9 hole course looked like it had a few more people playing it.
The greens, although slow, were in very good condition.
Fairways were a bit patchy, but no more so than most clubs following the dry summer. It wasn't to muddy to be honest. In fact I would say that our club (Batchworth), which I played on saturday was muddier.
Leaves !! - a couple of holes I lost balls that went just of the fairway. Areas of the rough were covered in huge amount of leaves which made it impossible to find balls.
quite a tight course in some places. A few holes towards the end were a bit short and boring, but I actually quite liked the 4 holes going up and down the hill.
The layout of the course is quite difficult to follow, as we even played one hole out of turn before realising our mistake and going back.
Clubhouse - imagine an empty working mens club! we went in for a drink afterwards and the clubhouse has a function room feel to it, with a few chairs scattered about. It was friday afternoon and we were the only 2 people in there. Staff were very good and helpful though.
If I was paying to play here, I probably wouldn't come back, but seeing as we can play for free, we are going to give it another go but tin the spring / summer.