Nottingham Club Memberships

craig l

Visit site
Est.1971

Another course to look at is Rushcliffe based in East Leake just south of Gotham 10 minutes from Barton in Fabis. I played it in the summer and found it in good nick.

if I was you I would spend next the next few months a visit several courses in the area.

Cheers
Craig

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Beeston fields I’ve heard is good and not far from you. I’ve never been but heard good things.
Hollinwell, Sherwood and Coxmoor are a fair trek for you be frank. Hollinwell is the best in Nottingham though.
Trent lock would be easier to get to, I have played it and it’s okay-ish. But bad memories of crap rounds and slow play.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Longcliffe (Loughborough) is a decent course. Leicestershire as a county has many reasonable members courses with none being outstanding although Longcliffe is ahead of the rest.

I was born and grew up in Leicestershire and the county is depressingly missing a real stand out venue. Several adequate courses but not a single one features on my list of must plays.

Nottinghamshire, on the other hand, is absolutely spoilt for choice. Notts GC, Coxmoor, Sherwood, Worksop, The Nottinghamshire, the list is endless.

D

Deleted member 18588

I was born and grew up in Leicestershire and the county is depressingly missing a real stand out venue. Several adequate courses but not a single one features on my list of must plays.

Nottinghamshire, on the other hand, is absolutely spoilt for choice. Notts GC, Coxmoor, Sherwood, Worksop, The Nottinghamshire, the list is endless.
Would have agreed wholeheartedly until you included The Nottinghamshire (Cotgrave) which, to me, wouldn't figure in any list of good courses.

Holes are uninspiring and whenever I have had the misfortune to visit the condition has been poor.

I also couldn't say that the choice is endless as beyond the Mansfield/Ashfield triumvirate and Worksop the other courses are no better than those in Leicestershire.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Would have agreed wholeheartedly until you included The Nottinghamshire (Cotgrave) which, to me, wouldn't figure in any list of good courses.

Holes are uninspiring and whenever I have had the misfortune to visit the condition has been poor.

Yes, I perhaps let myself down a bit there! Not anywhere near the standard of the other courses I referred to, or indeed others in the county, but a favourite of mine because I always seem to score well there!

est.1971

Visit site
Sherwood Forest and Hollinwell speak for themselves as the two Nottinghamshire clubs in the GB&I Top 100. Sherwood hosted the Brabazon Trophy (English Open Amateur Strokeplay) this year, and Notts GC (Hollinwell) is an Open Championship qualifying venue. I think that both still have entrance fees, not sure about waiting lists, but these often don’t apply for golfers of your standard. Not sure how either stands as a golf club, as opposed to a golf course. Not far away from those two, and a notch below them, Coxmoor is still a fine course, even better with changes they've made recently. Brand new £1.5m clubhouse too. Worksop is another good track in the north of the county.

I’m a member at Wollaton Park, which is set in about one quarter of a 500-acre park overlooked by an Elizabethan mansion. Only 3 miles from the city centre, with deer roaming freely, it's a lovely walk even if you're playing badly. Decent course too, sand based and therefore playable 12 months of the year. Beeston Fields is up the road from us and I always enjoy my annual battle with their greens. It can get very wet in winter, as can Chilwell Manor close by, which is a friendly club.

Stanton-on-the-Wolds further south is a nice summer course. Mainly flat, they are rightly proud of their fantastic greens. The Nottinghamshire Golf and Country Club (previously Cotgrave Place) is a newer venue, around 30 years old. It boasts two courses which have had a lot of investment recently.

Not an expert on the Leicestershire courses, but Longcliffe and Rothley Park are two that I found enjoyable.

@fenwayrich...... thanks for the info, i hadnt seen Stanton On the Wolds at all so thats one to add to my list.

est.1971

Visit site
It's about exactly a year ago I was peering through the gates of Royal Melbourne GC on my way to the airport. You must be mad moving from Oz to the UK ?

hahaha this seems to be the common message I have received....... its certainly the wrong time of year thats for sure. I have gone from shorts and a tshirt to 3-4 layers.
dont even own any wet weather gear........ i guess thats about to change

NeilG

Visit site

I also couldn't say that the choice is endless as beyond the Mansfield/Ashfield triumvirate and Worksop the other courses are no better than those in Leicestershire.

Played the Nottinghamshire last week and the condition was exceptional, particularly given recent weather.