Not enough of your friends golf!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I have a dilemma.

Everyone I play golf with has another time consuming hobby, where golf comes second, or even third.

Can't really justify joining a golf club, which is probably the ideal solution, at least then I could play in competitions and of course meet other players through the comps.

I want to get out and play more often but find the prospect of playing on my own rather boring. Tried it recently and I kinda felt like Norman No Mates!

So how did you get round this issue? Or what other suggestions would you have?

Ta

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I felt like this many moons ago. In the end I joined a muni where you pay to play but only stump up £40 per year.
Met lots of great folks and luckily the place was run really well with no downsides at all.

I didn't exactly fit in, but a genuine love of golf is a great place to start when you're a fish out of water.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think joining a muni would be the best starting point. Not overly expensive and you get to enter competitions and play with other players. All our medals and stablefords are drawn and it amazing how many new players you get to play with in a short space of time.

A handful have been a pain (no conversation. too fastidious about their golf, boring etc) but in the main most have been a real pleasure to play with.

You could try logging onto one of these golfing partner websites and seeing if you get any response but I'm not sure how well they operate.

Maybe we can get a Southern forum day organised down your way

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally agree with Homer.

If you have a local muni with a club attached it's the best bet as a starter. Did it about 12 years ago when starting to take the game seriously. Got to play every weekend in competitions and swindles, complete mix of people and mainly good company plus got an official handicap.

You might find that your mates will start to become a bit green eyed about your golf and want to fit in with your schedules.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I took up golf about 3 years ago now, jumped into the deep end and joined a club that i new nothing about and nobody that played there, on my first day there i had met a guy who came up and introduced himself to me and asked to join in, 3 years on i still play golf with him regularly and also the circle of friends that he had, what i am saying is join a club, be open and you will meet new friends that love their golf and will be able to play regularly