Not being able to sleep the night before playing early!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to have this too! Was long before children though...

I was usually too excited about the match so stayed up playing PC games.

VictorRampling

Visit site
I know plenty who play straight after a 12 hour night shift, even 36 hole scratch comps!

Saw one of our county guys asleep in his car while everyone else was warming up after dashing from night shift to play Yorkshire (all full time amateurs).

I'm told you're that tired you don't actually think about what you're doing so it can actually help play better.....
Honestly, I think I am that type of guy who is nodding off in his car while the others do what they planned to.For real. It is true that when you are exhausted - you don't care two hoots about what you are doing, it helps you not to be pressed under the necessity to win or something like this. But when you have a not really good sleep, especially something you dreamt about is scaring you - the system is having another effect on you. This is really a point that has to be mentioned! My sister used to play online games with Barbie and ended up with nightmares about dark horses. Just read about it at https://dreams-meaning.com/blog/dream-of-a-horse , you will be engrossed in thought as I was.

Last edited:

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
You cant sleep because your thinking. You may be thinking about your round or about how less sleep your going to get compared to the lunch time tee offs. You need to clear your mind. Good technique is to let your body go limp in bed. Remove all tension from arms and legs. Close your eyes and repeat the phrase "do not think" until you fall asleep.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Start cooking your evening meal about 5pm, have a couple of glasses of wine while you're cooking and another after you've eaten. You'll be out cold in your chair by 8pm and wide awake by 4am.
Get up, leisurely breakfast then go and play a local 9 holer as a warm up.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
I used to have something similar happen to me, and I think it was because sub-consciously I think I was worried about "sleeping in" for the early time which was ridiculous really as I've never "slept in" for anything since I had kids 20 years ago! :LOL:

However, I simply made sure I put 2 alarms on to wake me up and I found this helped massively.
I never once needed either alarm but the comfort of knowing it was there helped me sleep soundly.

Last edited:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Funny thread. I don’t normally have trouble getting to sleep the night before golf (unless it’s a couple of days away golfing, too excited!), but I do tend to wake up early before a round. I’m talking 4-5am when the alarm’s set for 6-6.30. I’ll try to get back to sleep but invariably start thinking about the round, have a I put my battery on to charge, how’s the weather looking, don’t forget sarnies etc etc and then just get up anyway! Most nights I’ll listen to a podcast, it’s like having a bedtime story, I don’t often get much further than 20 minutes in!