Not being able to sleep the night before playing early!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play 2/3 times a week usually twice around 9a.m. when I set my alarm clock and once around lunchtime.

All the matches are roll ups with no pressure whatsoever, good craic, drink afterwards. For the 9a.m. slots I am unable to sleep the night before but no problem for the lunchtime tee off.

Repeat no pressure on any of the games.

Any suggestion show to overcome the problem other than to change times?

It is quite frustrating.

User20204

Visit site
Well, here was me thinking it was only me that had this problem. We have recently changed our times from around 10.30ish to 8ish, no matter what time we tee off, I'm like a kid at Christmas Eve.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You have my sympathy, though I suspect you might get a bit of stick!
I work shifts, so sleep is a big thing in my life. Even the slightest thing wandering through my brain can cause a problem nodding off.
This might sound ridiculous, but I find listening at low volume to something of exactly the right level of interest/lack of interest when I go to bed distracts my brain enough to get me away. The William hill golf podcast is my favourite...
I much prefer to golf in the afternoon, and your situation is one of a number of reasons why.
Good luck!

Wolf

Visit site
First question would be.

What's your pre bed routine, do you spend time browsing using a mobile or tablet?

Do you go to bed at an adequate time?

Are you thinking to much about having to be up and the game?

Some of the work I do with sports people includes the prep work and this includes night before events. Most people these days spend time in bed on mobile devices, and eat late in the day or at least eat the wrong things which keeps them awake without realising it.

Something I got a couple people I work with recently to do was put down the tablet or mobile an hour before bed and ensure they eat something that has casein protein in (something yogurt based is ideal) as this helps the muscles relax and heal at night which in turn aids sleep, also take a zinc based supplement again aids sleep and overnight recovery for better energy next day. Then sleep in a cool dark room, if you have trouble switching off, take a minute or 2 just to focus on breathing to relax and switch off.

That's the professional way of doing it, the alternative have a couple whiskeys and knock yourself out 😂

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you had my get up time everyday,in my case being on the tee at Saturday for 7:30 is a lay in.
I get up 4:20 every weekday, so getting up at 5:30 on Saturday is a lay in.
Perhaps get up earlier the rest of the week? Your body will be used to that time then.:)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First question would be.

What's your pre bed routine, do you spend time browsing using a mobile or tablet?

Do you go to bed at an adequate time?

Are you thinking to much about having to be up and the game?

Some of the work I do with sports people includes the prep work and this includes night before events. Most people these days spend time in bed on mobile devices, and eat late in the day or at least eat the wrong things which keeps them awake without realising it.

Something I got a couple people I work with recently to do was put down the tablet or mobile an hour before bed and ensure they eat something that has casein protein in (something yogurt based is ideal) as this helps the muscles relax and heal at night which in turn aids sleep, also take a zinc based supplement again aids sleep and overnight recovery for better energy next day. Then sleep in a cool dark room, if you have trouble switching off, take a minute or 2 just to focus on breathing to relax and switch off.

That's the professional way of doing it, the alternative have a couple whiskeys and knock yourself out 😂

In reply to your questions we have a couple of drinks most nights, are retired, tend to go to bed 11.30/12 so should have around 8 hours. Tend to eat around 8.30/9 but mainly fish. Time is spent on tablet but nothing too seriousGM, football.

You have probably hit the nail on the head re thinking about the golf the next day but it is totally irrelevant as there is no pressure.

Usually wake up to go to the loo a couple of times each night and that is when it is a problem getting back to sleep.Sometimes I do not need to go to the loo but go anyway!

Wolf

Visit site
In reply to your questions we have a couple of drinks most nights, are retired, tend to go to bed 11.30/12 so should have around 8 hours. Tend to eat around 8.30/9 but mainly fish. Time is spent on tablet but nothing too seriousGM, football.

You have probably hit the nail on the head re thinking about the golf the next day but it is totally irrelevant as there is no pressure.

Usually wake up to go to the loo a couple of times each night and that is when it is a problem getting back to sleep.Sometimes I do not need to go to the loo but go anyway!
So going to bed at 1130/12 is already putting you out of a good night's sleep, if you're playing at 9am, but going to bed at midnight there's no way you're settling for 8 hours. Especially with getting up for toilet breaks. Factor in travel times, getting dressed, breakfast etc all before you tee off, your routine is setting you up to struggle. Whereas the midday starts you have a couple hours to adjust and not rush, and that's probably why you're thinking about the golf because you subconsciously know you don't have time to do everything so you don't siwtch off to get to sleep.

If it was me I'd look at going to be around 10pm for those 9am tee times, get a good 8 hours sleep, get up, eat, get dressed then leisurely drive to the course arriving relaxed and refreshed.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So going to bed at 1130/12 is already putting you out of a good night's sleep, if you're playing at 9am, but going to bed at midnight there's no way you're settling for 8 hours. Especially with getting up for toilet breaks. Factor in travel times, getting dressed, breakfast etc all before you tee off, your routine is setting you up to struggle. Whereas the midday starts you have a couple hours to adjust and not rush, and that's probably why you're thinking about the golf because you subconsciously know you don't have time to do everything so you don't siwtch off to get to sleep.

If it was me I'd look at going to be around 10pm for those 9am tee times, get a good 8 hours sleep, get up, eat, get dressed then leisurely drive to the course arriving relaxed and refreshed.
W.

Your comments are spot on. Clock is set for around 7.40, 8 mins.to golf club so usually leave around 8.30.However as I have said before it is a friendly knock!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I stick a documentary on and close my eyes and listen to it.
I’ve thought about going to my old 14 year old self and getting on the weed for sleep! 😂 work shifts so sleep is not normal for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The weekend roll ups draw the balls at 7.45 to be on the tee by 8.00 and I tend to be at the club by 6.45 to hit some balls and have a coffee. I often don't sleep well but that's a constant problem rather than anything connected to golf. I do find hitting balls and the coffee does help wake the mind and muscles so by the time the draw comes I'm awake and up for it. I do tend to get mid-round energy slumps so make sure I have bananas, energy bars (Graze are great as they are small, only about 4 bites) and nut/raisin mix in the bag as well as water. I don't change my routine and would hate to change to a later roll up group or tee time as I love playing with the guys I play with. I don't have an answer to the OP but hope he can find something that works

D

Deleted member 25172

I’ve got the same issue. Being picked up at 7:30 every Saturday, and by that point I’ve usually been awake since 5:30 simply cause I’m so excited to play that I wake up early. Like a kid at Christmas. If I were to go to bed earlier, say 9-ish, I’d probably be awake no later than 4:30 and impossible to go back to sleep.

Don’t particularly have a problem with it though, but I’m sure that it would be beneficial if I could get a few more hours sleep. But what can I do, I’m just excited to get out there. :D

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't struggle for a 9am or even an 8am start unless I've got a bit of a trek to get there and gave to wake up at 5 or something, especially with the missus being a proper nightowl!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the OP needs to 're read his post regarding his evening timings. No surprise he is having problems. Top reply from Wolf.

Good luck to the OP in making the adjustments, if he wants to of course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I used to play with a guy at Torvean who was the same, he used to be awake at 4am and ready to play even though we were not due to tee off till after 9. on a couple of occasions he went out as soon as it was light and played then couldn't play the comp because he had already played the course

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Just get out of your bed and get to your golf. You can catch up on the lost sleep the next night when you dont have to wake early.

D

Deleted member 21258

I used to get similar when I knew I had to wake up very early(at say 5am to get to a society golf day), so would goto bed thinking don't over sleep and miss my time. Then of course wake up silly early and about every 30 minutes from there on.:rolleyes::D

Just learnt over the years to switch off that kind of thinking before going to sleep, and think about normal daily thoughts and now almost never have that problem.

D

Deleted member 3432

Is he really going to play his best golf off 3-4 hours sleep though? I think that's probably his issue.

I know plenty who play straight after a 12 hour night shift, even 36 hole scratch comps!

Saw one of our county guys asleep in his car while everyone else was warming up after dashing from night shift to play Yorkshire (all full time amateurs).

I'm told you're that tired you don't actually think about what you're doing so it can actually help play better.....