Unsolicited trade calls to the door not taking no for an answer

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So just recently I've had a couple of guys all related to each other knock on my door, offering hedge trimming and general tree work. On the surface, they appear semi-legit, sign written truck, brochures etc.. A slight scratch of the surface suggests otherwise, brochures only have a mobile number, address on brochures is non-existant, I am assuming because the guys may be travellers, but I have no solid proof.

The guise for calling was they are working in the area, they weren't initially, but one neighbour has entertained them and that has led to others having work done as presumably it's a domino effect in that if it was alright for one person it's ok for the next. The work is shoddy, but what is asked. They have trimmed trees and hedges and removed the waste, but the finish is rough and not level. They haven't for example used a line on the hedges as a pro would to work to a level.
Anyhow, the first time they knocked I just said I wasn't sure, would take a flyer and call if I wanted anything. They have since knocked 5 more times when either myself or my missus is around, to which we have politely said no thanks, with no ambiguity like taking the brochure the first time may have had. All their "sales technique" is based on pressure, "we're already doing neighbours, so if we do today no call out charge usually x", "If we do cash you can save 20%" (laughable in itself as no way they are VAT registered) and similar. At what point does it become harassment and should be reported, or any other action be taken?
I can kind of handle it, but if I was a lone pensioner I might have felt pressured, and I'm also starting to think they are just casing out my house to check when I am home. I worked from home so basically, someone is always there.

Any advice on how to deal with this? I don't want to start some kind of war with travellers if that is what they are, but equally, it is now turning into harassment and I don't want to have to put up with that or have my Mrs deal with it. I especially don't want to be out at some point and come back to find my house has been cleaned out. Any thoughts?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you feel it is harassment, then inform the police.

Sounds like they are questionable traders trying it on to see who bites. Once they see an ‘open door’, they will persist and persist. Either be firm or just don’t answer the door. You can put a nice notice on the door clearly saying no tradesman, etc. Or go further with a video camera or doorbell.

If you Google ‘Nottingham Knockers’, they are similar and are known to exploit vulnerable people both on the doorstep selling rubbish and selling addresses to criminals for a potential burglary later. If you pay in cash, that is a green light that you have cash in the house....

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get a video doorbell?

Funny you mention that, it was in my plans, but I have adjusted them, so gonna do a temporary install tomorrow, and then a permanent fix later as planning a full rewire in the next couple of months.

The first time I was a bit soft saying, not now but I'll take a brochure. After that, it has been firm no's but they are persistent. Mostly it's annoying, but a few of my neighbours are elderly, and although it's not my business I don't want them taken advantage of, and obviously, I don't want anyone on the street to be burgled.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We occaisionally get this sort of thing....might I suggest they are probably travellers, and whatever they remove will end up in someones fields or drive.
Is thwew any way you can see whos at the front door without answering it? If so...just ignore it. I do just that around halloween time;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dealing with high pressure sales face to face is uncomfortable, it's why they do it face to face. Germans, The Dutch, Americans would just tell them flat out no but we are too polite, too nice. Next time they come round don't get into a conversation with them, simply tell them no thank you, you are not interested. If they persist keep it at no thank you, no more. After the second no, smile, say goodbye and close the door. Keep it civil but firm.

They know if they can hook you into a conversation the chances of you agreeing are much greater so don't let that happen.

As for the rest of the neighbours I don't really know what you can do. I've seen this happen with driveways before and it is unpleasant to watch because you know it won't end well. If there are any particularly vulnerable ones you could actively speak to them and warn them, perhaps put a note up on their door saying no traders etc but ultimately you can not protect them all.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Call the Police. They are one step away from doing the work without your permission and then harassing you for the cash. Get a call logged with the Police before they do. They don't need to know you've made the call unless, or until, they cross the line and start the work without permission. Its been done many times before, and you need something in place to negate it. Hopefully it won't happen but at least they can't say to the Police you asked for the work to be done and are now reneging on paying.

As for if they call again asking, "guys, the answer will always be no. You are wasting your time." And just shut the door. Don't engage in a "yes but, no but, yes but, no but" conversation.

Good luck.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Let's see how it goes. Was contemplating logging a police call also, just in case it escalates, so will definitely do that. Hopefully, I'm just being overcautious, but better that than the opposite.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does no harm to tell the police now. You can also advise, if you want, you neighbours, to do the same.

LT is right in that a lot of us can’t say no to a nicey nicey sales pitch. We had some Nottingham Knockers recently and they got short no from me, but he got ‘trade’ from at least two of my neighbours who I thought would’ve said on yer bike.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It does no harm to tell the police now. You can also advise, if you want, you neighbours, to do the same.

LT is right in that a lot of us can’t say no to a nicey nicey sales pitch. We had some Nottingham Knockers recently and they got short no from me, but he got ‘trade’ from at least two of my neighbours who I thought would’ve said on yer bike.

Reported to police non-emergency number last night, and apparently, it is passed on to local neighbourhood team, so at least there is a record of it.

I suspect it's partly that people can't say no, and partly some people have no idea, they just realise their hedge needs trimming and it's easier to say yes to the man at the door than to do your research, especially as on the surface they present an almost legit image. Also if my neighbours have had the same number of knocks I have - 6 in the last few days, sometimes twice a day, I can see why they might have folded, even though I have no intention to. I will be speaking to them soon to find out what experience they have had.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dealing with high pressure sales face to face is uncomfortable, it's why they do it face to face. Germans, The Dutch, Americans would just tell them flat out no but we are too polite, too nice. Next time they come round don't get into a conversation with them, simply tell them no thank you, you are not interested. If they persist keep it at no thank you, no more. After the second no, smile, say goodbye and close the door. Keep it civil but firm.

They know if they can hook you into a conversation the chances of you agreeing are much greater so don't let that happen.

As for the rest of the neighbours I don't really know what you can do. I've seen this happen with driveways before and it is unpleasant to watch because you know it won't end well. If there are any particularly vulnerable ones you could actively speak to them and warn them, perhaps put a note up on their door saying no traders etc but ultimately you can not protect them all.
Had wouldn't take no for an answer sales at a garden centre the other day

They have a butchers in there

Mrs likes the sausages from there so after we had lunch with my uncle I went to see if they had them. Turns out they hadn't. New butcher.

Anyways sir do you like sirlion steak.. my mistake I should have said no

So he shows me a tray of to be fair nice cut sirlion steak about 8 -10 of them for £25

I was like if I hadn't just got some steak I would bite your hand off (honest)

He's like let me show you true value... Here we go the rubbish patter

Weighs it at £16 per kg, then adjusts to £30 per kg

I was like thanks but like I said if I hadn't been to Smithfield's last week (thought name dropping them might shut him up) I would bite your hand off

Well how much did they charge you .. so I was like well £16 a kg for Australian reared ribeye (in my opinion the best cut bar fillet)

He got a bit grumpy and like well that's a good price then and just shuffled off and didn't care when I got some.chicken

Just don't be pushy. Specially when someone clearly isn't interested

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I must admit, i have now succumbed. Johnny and lad turned up in a truck saying they were working in the area. offered to do the hedges. payment only when they finish and happy. As my regular fella had not turned up in months and we had friends coming over, I crumbled and let them do it. They were not cheap, but did an excellent job. Ended up asking them to do the back garden as well. Grafted for half a day and paid only when they did finished everything and cleaned up. No VAT or anything. just scraps of paper for some Benjamins.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I must admit, i have now succumbed. Johnny and lad turned up in a truck saying they were working in the area. offered to do the hedges. payment only when they finish and happy. As my regular fella had not turned up in months and we had friends coming over, I crumbled and let them do it. They were not cheap, but did an excellent job. Ended up asking them to do the back garden as well. Grafted for half a day and paid only when they did finished everything and cleaned up. No VAT or anything. just scraps of paper for some Benjamins.

Glad it worked out for you, though the thing is where did they dump the rubbish? Obviously, it's possible they're legit, but most probably they just dumped it somewhere, where some poor sod has to deal with the mess, or if it's public land, public funds have to pay for it to be cleared up, which is a double whammy because by evading tax the rest of us have to pay more to cover this sort of thing.

Additionally what would have happened if it went wrong? Expecting kind of public liability would be a joke, and if it was something after the event you can guarantee they would just disappear without trace.

Never seen NIC EIC, Gas Safe or whatever else contractors knock on doors soliciting for work.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We had a spate of them a few years ago, they did the old lady that was our NDN, cut some tree's, the knocked at ours, no thanks!!! guy wouldn't take no for an answer.

They were back to do fencing, the roof and guttering after, even layed some lock block around her house. They had hit paydirt.. conned her out of a fair few quid. shoddy work all the lock block had come up the following year, the roof covering came off and the gutters fell down.
Back again the next year this time they wanted to cut down her large Cypress that borders our front gates, telling her it was about to full down, Id had it checked by our Tree Surgeon a few months before and he gave it a clean bill and cut some overhanging branchesnoff on our side . They had no ropes and didn't have a clue how to cut down such a big tree, they were just going to cut though the bottom. i cou;d see what was going to happen ... our front wall and metal gates being destroyed..i stopped them and said if the touched the tree the police would be called... the buggered of and have not been back.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you, though the thing is where did they dump the rubbish? Obviously, it's possible they're legit, but most probably they just dumped it somewhere, where some poor sod has to deal with the mess, or if it's public land, public funds have to pay for it to be cleared up, which is a double whammy because by evading tax the rest of us have to pay more to cover this sort of thing.

Additionally what would have happened if it went wrong? Expecting kind of public liability would be a joke, and if it was something after the event you can guarantee they would just disappear without trace.

Never seen NIC EIC, Gas Safe or whatever else contractors knock on doors soliciting for work.

I agree.. i dont know where they took the rubbish. on another note, I would not get any thing from a door knocker if it required a certificate. This was more external and all related to the garden. They took one van load of rubbish away. Plenty of photos/videos if the coppers come around

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree.. i dont know where they took the rubbish. on another note, I would not get any thing from a door knocker if it required a certificate. This was more external and all related to the garden. They took one van load of rubbish away. Plenty of photos/videos if the coppers come around
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if you have pictures. It is your rubbish, you are responsible for knowing it has been taken away and dealt with correctly. It is done now but worth bearing in mind for future.