Northern Ireland trip

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all.

One of the lads bdays in March and he’s wanting to go Northern Ireland for a couple of nights.

We’re not too bothered where we stay/play but would want to do 1 top course and get another game in.

I’m guessing that time of year it’s Links only to be considered?

All advice on areas to stay/play appreciated

D

Deleted member 15344

You Could stay at Slieve Donald Hotel and then have a round at Ardglass and County Down , think its about £300

Or you can do around Portstewart Area

Or go to Donegal Area (obv not N Ireland ) - Ballyliffin , Rosapenna

Both Golfbreaks and YGT do good deals - and look at Golf Ireland

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Slieve Donard is a nice hotel to stay in, you simply walk 1 minute thro' the gate to golfing heaven that is RCD.
You could stay in Belfast and play RCD one day and Royal Portrush the following day, each is approx. an hours drive

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We stayed at The Cuan at Strangford Lough. Perfect for RCD, Ardglass and Kirkiston Castle. The cast of Game of Thrones stayed they when filming. Really friendly place and good value.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree with the suggestions posted already.

I would say links is your best bet in March. One thing to note is that Portrush is on mats for The Open at that time.

You could stay down in Newcastle and play RCD and then Ardglass but there isn't many other links courses around there.

Or you could go North coast and you have Portstewart, Castlerock, Portrush valley course and a few other smaller links courses.

If you stay in Belfast you would be close enough to both but then there isn't any other links courses in the area so if you wanted a 3rd round you would be travelling again or playing parkland.

Donegal is another good shout as there are tonnes up there, same with the East coast around Portmarnock, Laytown and Bettystown, County Louth, Seapoint etc

Are you going to have a car?

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depending how long your coming for and how many rounds of golf you want coming to Donegal would be my recommendation

Ballyliffin (my home club) has 2 fantastic courses in The Old & The Glashedy (host of this years Irish Open) then all within an hour or so you have Rosapenna (2 great courses), Portsalon, County Donegal and Narin & Portnoo.

If you are coming at the weekend you'll find a couple of the clubs will have opens on which will reduce the cost of golf , there will definitely be one on at Ballyliffin as we have a Saturday Open most Saturdays of the year!

As to accommodation it depends what you want! Choice of 3 hotels in Ballyliffin itself with varying levels of cost, as well as plenty other hotels & B&Bs in the area most of which will be within reasonably easy driving distance of any of the above golf clubs.

Also depending on how your getting to Ireland as County Donegal is approx 2 hours from the ferry in Belfast or Larne if flying you can fly into City of Derry which is only 40 mins or so.

If you want any more help or advice just ask

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rossapenna Sandy hills can be played for 45 euro in March on Golfnow.

Drive round to portsallon and play for less than 30.

Then leg it over to Castlerock for 45 quid on Golfnow.

www.hiltonpark.net
Castlerock was fantastic and the 9 holer is great fun. A vote for Portrush and it's other course (Dunluce??) as well. These were the 1st links I ever played and now I'm a links addict

D

Deleted member 17920

Hi all.

One of the lads bdays in March and he’s wanting to go Northern Ireland for a couple of nights.

We’re not too bothered where we stay/play but would want to do 1 top course and get another game in.

I’m guessing that time of year it’s Links only to be considered?

All advice on areas to stay/play appreciated
Wherever you go you will find the locals are fantastic.

The links courses they have are incredible.

South RCD is just mind blowing. The north you have masses and masses of awesome courses, we got off the ferry at Belfast at 8 and was teeing it up at Portstewart at 11 👌

Enjoy it. Very jealous as I really want a return trip.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

South RCD is just mind blowing. The north you have masses and masses of awesome courses, we got off the ferry at Belfast at 8 and was teeing it up at Portstewart at 11 👌

Me too.

Dave, go to Derry have a round with Gary and his mates and I'm sure they'll show you round Derry in the night.

Then go and play as much as you can afford, but if I was you I'd try and get RCD in or Portrush (although check how the course is) as with them holding their first open in decades they may have you playing off double-axminsters, whilst wearing slippers. Another cheap one is Scrabo, near Belfast. They had a frost on the night before so we played temps, although they very rarely ever play temps. Cracking little hilly course with great views.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

2020forum meet.......

D

Deleted Member 1156

Some of the best courses I have played are down there 👍