Northern Ireland holiday advice wanted?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Taking the wife for a few days golf in Northern Ireland/North West Republic? (she got offered Portugal too but wanted Northern Ireland) some time in May/June probably travel out on Sunday over there Monday to Friday and ferry back that evening.

Not really wanting to drive for more than a couple of hours between stops - I'd love to play Carne but it's a long way for a short break unless someone can suggest nice place to stop with golf on way. We'll probably stay mainly in B&B places and I don't mind staying in a different place each day.

Would like mainly links but not averse to a parkland round to break it up.

Things I've thought of (but open to minor/major adjustments based on advice received);

Ardglass
Annesley Links at Royal County Down - Looks gorgeous
Ballycastle (Has an open every Wednesday which men and women can both play in)
Couple of nights in the hotel at Rosapenna and round on Tom Morris and Sandy Hills course

Anything there that you wouldn't do - and anything better I should be considering, any suggestions on where to stay welcome too?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
David, Ballycastle is a fun course to play with 5 parkland holes then cross over the road and plays along the cliff top with some cracking view across to Rathlin Island and on a good day Machrihnish, its about an hours drive from Larne for me if i was going there id play the Valley cousre at Portrush which is cracking value for money.

Rosapenna is a good 40 minute drive from Letterkenny and is in the middle of no place to be honest but some beautiful scenery close to there is Dunfanaghy which is a great wee track to play.

Portstewart is also a great place to stay which is 23 miles from Ballycastle and 6 miles from Portrush some nice places to eat drink and the walk along the Strand Beach is superb, theres 3 courses there as well the Strand which is superb the Riverside and the wee town course.

Anything else just ask

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the north west Donegal you have an abundance of great courses. Dunfanaghy Portsalon and rosapenna are all great choices then with a little more travel you have Ballyliffin or Murvagh either side of them with roughly the same travel. I cant beat Steve's advice for northern Ireland he knows more about that but if you want any more on Donegal let me know.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would be inclined to focus on one area, to be honest. In NI, you have Royal Portrush, Portstewart and Castlerock all very close to one another, and each offers at least 27 holes of golf. Ballycastle is also doable from there. I like it and it is no pushover.

In Donegal, you could stay around Letterkenny, and get to Ballyliffin, Dunganagy from there, or head to south Donegal and play Donela (Murvagh), Bundoran and Rosses Point (Co. Sligo). If you want to head back into Northern Ireland and get a bit of snazzy parkland, Lough Erne is possible too.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you are considering the drive out to play Carne then why not stop on the way and play Enniscrone? They are 2 of the finest courses in Ireland, easily on a par (or better) than many of the better known big name (and big money) courses.

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You slipped up there buddy, you had the option between the Algarve and Ardglass, and you choose to visit this cesspit. If you are looking for places to avoid, don't play Castlereagh Hills, it's a mud bath, the members are horrible (myself included), the greens are like your back garden and it is vastly overpriced.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ireland is nice but wet hence its name , The Algarve is nice , weather is better ..............................EYG

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Ireland is nice but wet hence its name , The Algarve is nice , weather is better ..............................EYG

We were in the Algarve playing golf at Penina in September, I like it and we'll go back to Portugal at some point - we've been to Ireland several times but never without the kids and never played golf there.

I think we're used to a wee bit of weather living in Scotland and playing a links.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
If you are considering the drive out to play Carne then why not stop on the way and play Enniscrone? They are 2 of the finest courses in Ireland, easily on a par (or better) than many of the better known big name (and big money) courses.

Could happen but I think we're likely to go East and North coasts this time - just spoke to the missus and she said we can always go back and do North West coast

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ardglass is a a great course, however if you can get on to the championship course at Royal County Down then do it. I know it's a lot of money, but it's classed as the 3rd best course in the world for a reason.

Awesome track.

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Taking the wife for a few days golf in Northern Ireland/North West Republic? (she got offered Portugal too but wanted Northern Ireland) some time in May/June probably travel out on Sunday over there Monday to Friday and ferry back that evening.

Not really wanting to drive for more than a couple of hours between stops - I'd love to play Carne but it's a long way for a short break unless someone can suggest nice place to stop with golf on way. We'll probably stay mainly in B&B places and I don't mind staying in a different place each day.

Would like mainly links but not averse to a parkland round to break it up.

Things I've thought of (but open to minor/major adjustments based on advice received);

Ardglass
Annesley Links at Royal County Down - Looks gorgeous
Ballycastle (Has an open every Wednesday which men and women can both play in)
Couple of nights in the hotel at Rosapenna and round on Tom Morris and Sandy Hills course

Anything there that you wouldn't do - and anything better I should be considering, any suggestions on where to stay welcome too?

Ardglass is a good call. The Annesley Links at RCD is very short, 4,500 yards off the back tees. Some great scenery but not a great course imo.

If you want a parkland to break things up you could play one of the Belfast courses like Belvoir or Malone on your way from Ardglass to the North Coast. Two very good courses.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the courses in the north-west / donegal.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rossapena is wayyyyyy of the beaten track if you are coming across the north coast anyway I'd sooner finish with Ballyliffin and you can stay in a hotel near there but you probably don't even need to go that far.

Budget dictates all but take a look at the following.

Portstewart (Riverside for an ok track, Strand for a challenge on a great track)
The Valley Links (great links course)
Castlerock Mussenden husband and wife on week days is £90.

Roe park for a decent resort parkland course.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Ardglass is a good call. The Annesley Links at RCD is very short, 4,500 yards off the back tees. Some great scenery but not a great course imo.

If you want a parkland to break things up you could play one of the Belfast courses like Belvoir or Malone on your way from Ardglass to the North Coast. Two very good courses.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the courses in the north-west / donegal.

Ardglass is a a great course, however if you can get on to the championship course at Royal County Down then do it. I know it's a lot of money, but it's classed as the 3rd best course in the world for a reason.

Awesome track.

Ta - saw Annesley Links in a photo post on golf atlas and it looks fun - I'm not after championship stuff with 200 yard carries on this trip

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm leaning towards time around County Down then Portstewart for accommodation and golfing areas

Any more suggestions?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you are looking for places to avoid, don't play Castlereagh Hills, it's a mud bath, the members are horrible (myself included), the greens are like your back garden and it is vastly overpriced.
Haha wont argue there! Was a member of the then royal county gilnahirk.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Yeah take your camera as the scenery is stunning:rofl:

I'm pretty much an iPhone and instagram man when it comes to holiday or golf course pics - I don't normally get a real camera out unless I'm being paid - might make an exception for the Scotland KOKs in St Andrews though if I can work out how to strap a Canon 5dmkiii and 300mm lens to my golf bag

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OK, so some experience. Back & forward to Scotland by ferry regularly - get Stena from Cairnryan and book stena plus seats too. Its a 90-100 min drive from Glasgow.

Now for the golf... drive to Derry number of great hotels & restaurants (Browns & Browns in town, Queen's Quay Social offering VFM - another 90 min drive (or fly Prestwick/Derry with RyanAir? one flight a day middle of afternoon & hire car here). A drive from Belfast to Newcastle for RCD is around 45 for comparison. From Derry you can head to North Coast and try the Portstewart/R.Portrush (60 mins or so) etc course or just hop over to Donegal and try Ballyllifin (30 mins or so), North West (15 mins) or Portsalon (60 mins). I'd recommend Donegal course for VFM. I'm heading there for paddy day weekend....

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If your over on the East Coast at Ardglass, a good 3 dayer would be Royal County Down, Ardglass and my home course Kirkistown Castle, it's a great wee links course with some really tough par 4's and an absolutely beautiful location in the village of Cloughey, its only half an hour from Ardglass and you would get to ride the lovely Strangford Ferry. I married a lassie from over there and moving there in the next few months and cannot wait.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know the geography but if you aren't too far from Portrush you should go and play the Dunluce Links, you won't regret it.