Northern Ireland holiday advice wanted?

Delh1982

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A member of Bangor having a pop at Carnalea, that's like asking Simba what he reckons of Scar. Carnalea is a nice track, the ninth is a fantastic hole and you get nice views of the Lagan. My only criticisms are the walk between 9 and 10 and the ripples in the fairway which start to ache the calves after a while, I played it last year on the 13th July in 25 degrees carrying 14 clubs, I nearly keeled over by the fourteenth, I won't be doing that again.

:rofl:

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I only suggested bangor as its where im originaly from , bangors not a bad wee town but i grew up in kilcooly so i suppose it would depend on where you from if you where one of the hob nobs it would be a hole , but theres worse places in N.I

I wouldnt cross Bangor town to play it Del, never mind the irish sea. First 9 is just ok, once you make the slog to the 10 hole I lose interest in the course, my opinion of course, others may differ. Clandeboye Dufferin course and Bangor Gc (If it is dry!) would be better bets if you were in the area.

In general there arent many dung courses in NI, but while you are over, you really want to make the best of it and unless you wanted to play good quality parklands like of Belvoir, Malone etc in Belfast, the north coast is where its at regarding good links golf.

Blackwood Golf Club FTW lol

Have to agree with Brendy about Carnalea, very short and very boring, my dad was a member there for 30 odd years, and i was a junior member for 10-11 years.

The best part of Carnalea is their social side, not their course.

Clandeboye Dufferin or Kirkistown would be the 2 most recommended courses in the area really.

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Blackwood Golf Club FTW lol

Have to agree with Brendy about Carnalea, very short and very boring, my dad was a member there for 30 odd years, and i was a junior member for 10-11 years.

The best part of Carnalea is their social side, not their course.

Clandeboye Dufferin or Kirkistown would be the 2 most recommended courses in the area really.

Kirkistown must be the most underrated course in NI, probably because it's in the middle of nowhere. If it wasn't an hours drive from my house I'd be a member down there like that.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
A member of Bangor having a pop at Carnalea, that's like asking Simba what he reckons of Scar.
Far from it fella, Im a blow in to Bangor (Holywood born and raised...then belfast (was a young member in gilnahirk for a couple of years)...then Bangor!
Carnaleas clubhouse is the best part of the club, decent grub, pint and views over the eighth and ninth holes (and belfast lough).
Out of all the courses local to belfast/north down I prefer Belvoir and Shandon. Bangor is a pretty good course in the summer but the winter ruins it so am under no illusions. :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I know a few members there and have played it quite a few times and cant warm to it at all. Phil, Blackrock has the potential to be the best parkland course in NI if it had money spent on it as it has such a big estate to prosper in. A lot of courses round here are boxed in these days due to selling spare land etc.
Kirkistown must be the most underrated course in NI, probably because it's in the middle of nowhere. If it wasn't an hours drive from my house I'd be a member down there like that.

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Love the (North) Down bitching.... ;) IMHO up there Clandyboye Dufferin, Blackwood (if not boggy), and then Kirkistown (lost once on 18th in Ulster Cup there :( ). Not played Royal Belfast or Holywood (latter doesn't interest me). In Belfast, Belvoir, Malone & honourable mentions to Shandon & Dunmurry. Like Spa in Ballynahinch but then at end its just Ardglass & RCD.... that stand alone.

But let me reiterate... Donegal is VFM.... looking froward to NW and Portsalon over the Paddy's weekend hopefully.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
But let me reiterate... Donegal is VFM.... looking froward to NW and Portsalon over the Paddy's weekend hopefully.

Portsalon is a cracking course, I was a member there for 3 years, bring plenty ammo with you as the rough used to be brutal (maybe not at that time of year though).

Northwest is ok if you like slow greens eh Smange :whistle: ;)

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Portsalon is a cracking course, I was a member there for 3 years, bring plenty ammo with you as the rough used to be brutal (maybe not at that time of year though).

Northwest is ok if you like slow greens eh Smange :whistle: ;)

Granted they were a bit slow at times last year but always true and in great nick.

Anyway, what do you care now you've retired :ears:

Bet you still come down for the fry though on a Tuesday ;)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Portstewart is amongst the best front 9 holes I've played ,I've played it nearly 30 times and love it, Castlerock is another fine course and tough as old boots with some cracking holes and nice views of the Bann , but for me Portstewart wins hands down, tho £100 is steep.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Castlerock is a great course, with some fabulous golf holes except for the opening two which are probably the two weakest holes on the course.

You wont be disappointed at all with Castlerock

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Castlerock is a great course, with some fabulous golf holes except for the opening two which are probably the two weakest holes on the course.

You wont be disappointed at all with Castlerock

The 2nd hole just looks like it was thrown in a dog leg up the hill but big hitters can carry right over the bushes

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I hear ya Brendy, though things are on the up the past 12 months since the Estate horrid if the useless non golf playing manager. The club and the members now have a lot more input and are singing from the same hymn sheet as the greenkeeper.

Surprisingly I played in twice last week and even with all the rain it was quite firm underfoot. The new 6" drainage pipes are obviously doing the job better than the stupid 2" the old manager ordered in lol

I heard last week that we had 36 new 7 day in January and February.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
So last course on this trip is either Castlerock or Portstrewart - Portstrewart is £100 a skull - Castlerock do husband and wife for £90 total (both of us) - is Portstewart worth the difference?
Portstewart is awesome, but Castlerock for £110 less?.....Play Castle rock! Never heard a bad word about it

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers Hawkeye - we'll be up that way but not playing Championship courses this time

What I've nailed it down to is

Stay Ardglass/Newcastle area for couple of days and play
Ardglass - Tom Coyne's write up in 'A course called Ireland' nailed that one for me "Friendliest course in the World"
Wee course at Royal County Down - Annesley Links - Mainly down to this review

Stay Portstewart area for three days and play
Ballycastle - mainly because they have an open we can both play in
Valley Course at Royal Portrush
One more round at venue to be decided

Ta for advice so far
I recommend Number Ten B&B in Newcastle if you need somewhere to stay around RCD.
House backs on to course, and you can go out their garden gate and walk along edge of course to get into town. 10 minutes at a dawdle, 5 minutes brisk walk.
Great cooked brekkie!

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
Castlerock all day long for that amount of difference as then you could pop back to portrush to the harbour for great grub and drink. Ballycastle is a nice and hard enough track just bit underwhelming compared to the awesome dunluce and valley courses.

On another note. Always enjoyed the front nine at carnalea but thought the back nine to be pretty boring. Blackwood could definitely be a great track. Just havent played it enough! But love playing the ava and dufferin at clandeboye. Think the ava is a tight wee course and the dufferin is a monster! Kirkistown is definitely underrated in my eyes!