Northern Ireland holiday advice wanted?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I don't know the geography but if you aren't too far from Portrush you should go and play the Dunluce Links, you won't regret it.

Cheers Hawkeye - we'll be up that way but not playing Championship courses this time

What I've nailed it down to is

Stay Ardglass/Newcastle area for couple of days and play
Ardglass - Tom Coyne's write up in 'A course called Ireland' nailed that one for me "Friendliest course in the World"
Wee course at Royal County Down - Annesley Links - Mainly down to this review

Stay Portstewart area for three days and play
Ballycastle - mainly because they have an open we can both play in
Valley Course at Royal Portrush
One more round at venue to be decided

Ta for advice so far

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
in the height of the summer you could play the agusta of south derry, Moyola golf club for a decent price. Proper parkland golf course!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers Hawkeye - we'll be up that way but not playing Championship courses this time

Ardglass - Tom Coyne's write up in 'A course called Ireland' nailed that one for me "Friendliest course in the World"

Ta for advice so far

I haven't played the Valley course but Jezz E reckons it is a decent track and what he doesn't know about golf courses isn't worth knowing :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site

Ta for advice so far

Ardglass is a lovely course, first 6 are the equal to any course I have ever played, the little run from 10-13 is fantastic too, there are one or two more plain holes on the run back towards the clubhouse but all in all a brilliant days golf with excellent views of arglass harbour to the left and newcastle away off to the right in the horizon.
The chicken run at RCD is a great little course, played it many times and due to its length, gives the long irons a great work out instead of driver.
In fact, you wont be disappointed in any of your choices, if I was you, I would try to get Castlerock in there too as your last choice though, the big course opens with such a plain unassuming first two holes, then it all opens up in front of you as you walk down to the 3rd tee box. In the wind, it is a hell of a test too.

Last edited:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ta for advice so far

Good few days golf there.

Not sure how far you looking to travel for your undecided round but obvious places near to where you will be are Castlerock, Portstewart and Roe Park if you looking for a parkland course while you are over. If you are happy to travel a little bit further I'm at North West G.C in Buncrana, Co. Donegal and would love to meet you for a game there, probably about an hour from Portstewart or you can go slightly further and play one of the Ballyliffin courses. If you really are looking for a Parkland round then Moyola is a great track as is City of Derry.

If you want any help or advice on courses around the North West area just give us a shout, and give Malek a shout as well, he is a member at Ardglass and I'm sure he will be happy to sign you on or help you with any questions about courses and accomodation up that way.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Good few days golf there.

Not sure how far you looking to travel for your undecided round but obvious places near to where you will be are Castlerock, Portstewart and Roe Park if you looking for a parkland course while you are over. If you are happy to travel a little bit further I'm at North West G.C in Buncrana, Co. Donegal and would love to meet you for a game there, probably about an hour from Portstewart or you can go slightly further and play one of the Ballyliffin courses. If you really are looking for a Parkland round then Moyola is a great track as is City of Derry.

If you want any help or advice on courses around the North West area just give us a shout, and give Malek a shout as well, he is a member at Ardglass and I'm sure he will be happy to sign you on or help you with any questions about courses and accomodation up that way.

Cheers smange - I think we're saving Donegal for the next trip over so if we're still about here then I'll definely give you a shout - ta for heads up about Malek being an Ardglass member - I knew there was one here but couldn't remmeber who it was.

If nay of you are ever on the Carnoustie/Monifieth area then give me a shout

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers smange - I think we're saving Donegal for the next trip over so if we're still about here then I'll definely give you a shout - ta for heads up about Malek being an Ardglass member - I knew there was one here but couldn't remmeber who it was.

Try Port Knoo, tink I have spell t right ...........................

malek988

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

hey bud, id be happy to sign you and the mrs on as a visitor, if your up for it, all the review are 100% on ardglass, plus the food upstairs is amazing, as for accommodation, in ardglass there's a few b and b's but from what i read, your thinking of the Newcastle area, i recommend staying there, so much more to do eat/drink etc.... ardglass is lovely, but as a small town, bar walking the harbor and the coast line, nothing else really to do, plus its a short 30 min drive from Newcastle, any other questions fire away

davidy233

Tour Rookie
hey bud, id be happy to sign you and the mrs on as a visitor, if your up for it, all the review are 100% on ardglass, plus the food upstairs is amazing, as for accommodation, in ardglass there's a few b and b's but from what i read, your thinking of the Newcastle area, i recommend staying there, so much more to do eat/drink etc.... ardglass is lovely, but as a small town, bar walking the harbor and the coast line, nothing else really to do, plus its a short 30 min drive from Newcastle, any other questions fire away

Cheers for the advice on where to stay malek988 - and for offering to sign us on, I'm not sure of dates yet but Ardglass is likely to be a Monday or Tuesday on our schedule.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
David when are you thinking of going as the first week in June is the causeway coast comp which is being played on Castlerock, Ballycastle, The valley at Portrush and Ballyliffen. The Starnd course at Portstewart is holding the British Amateur with Portrush around about then as well.

Just a heads up

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Narin and Portnoo? - That's on my list for the next trip to Donegal and the North West

I would avoid there. IMO it is nothing special and ruined with the three par 5's on the trot in the back nine. Granted there are some nice views but it only has a couple of decent holes. Rosapenna (either course) and Portsalon are way way ahead of it.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is a lovely course in bangor co.down

http://www.carnaleagolfclub.co.uk

I wouldnt cross Bangor town to play it Del, never mind the irish sea. First 9 is just ok, once you make the slog to the 10 hole I lose interest in the course, my opinion of course, others may differ. Clandeboye Dufferin course and Bangor Gc (If it is dry!) would be better bets if you were in the area.

In general there arent many dung courses in NI, but while you are over, you really want to make the best of it and unless you wanted to play good quality parklands like of Belvoir, Malone etc in Belfast, the north coast is where its at regarding good links golf.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
David when are you thinking of going as the first week in June is the causeway coast comp which is being played on Castlerock, Ballycastle, The valley at Portrush and Ballyliffen. The Starnd course at Portstewart is holding the British Amateur with Portrush around about then as well.

Just a heads up

Saw that Steve - third or fourth week in June I think

Delh1982

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldnt cross Bangor town to play it Del, never mind the irish sea. First 9 is just ok, once you make the slog to the 10 hole I lose interest in the course, my opinion of course, others may differ. Clandeboye Dufferin course and Bangor Gc (If it is dry!) would be better bets if you were in the area.

In general there arent many dung courses in NI, but while you are over, you really want to make the best of it and unless you wanted to play good quality parklands like of Belvoir, Malone etc in Belfast, the north coast is where its at regarding good links golf.

I only suggested bangor as its where im originaly from , bangors not a bad wee town but i grew up in kilcooly so i suppose it would depend on where you from if you where one of the hob nobs it would be a hole , but theres worse places in N.I

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site

A member of Bangor having a pop at Carnalea, that's like asking Simba what he reckons of Scar. Carnalea is a nice track, the ninth is a fantastic hole and you get nice views of the Lagan. My only criticisms are the walk between 9 and 10 and the ripples in the fairway which start to ache the calves after a while, I played it last year on the 13th July in 25 degrees carrying 14 clubs, I nearly keeled over by the fourteenth, I won't be doing that again.