Northern Ireland advice please?

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Howdo everyone :)

I am looking to plan a trip to N Ireland next May playing Portrush at least.

could anyone recommend any other courses to play while we are there?

also where would you recommend to stay between Portrush or Coleraine? Looking for somewhere that is not dead and has something to do for me and the wife :)

of course if you can suggest a better place that wound be awesome :)

cheers all for your help

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Howdo everyone :)

I am looking to plan a trip to N Ireland next May playing Portrush at least.

could anyone recommend any other courses to play while we are there?

also where would you recommend to stay between Portrush or Coleraine? Looking for somewhere that is not dead and has something to do for me and the wife :)

of course if you can suggest a better place that wound be awesome :)

cheers all for your help
Smange , brendy and bob are your men on this mate.. If they dont pop up here they are on twitter

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Smange , brendy and bob are your men on this mate.. If they dont pop up here they are on twitter

If your definitely playing Portrush play their 2nd course The Valley as well then get yourself over the border and into County Donegal, you then have a choice of many top links courses like my place Ballyliffin with 2 top courses, Rosapenna with 2 top courses, Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo & County Donegal as well as a few others well worth playing like Cruit Island, Dunfanaghy, North West all within an hour or less drive if you plan well and stay in right area!

Away from golf you have some fantastic scenery and many great places to visit!

If you are committed to staying in the North then add Portstewart, RCD and Ardglass (It’s not Royal) although you will have a bit more travelling between the Portrush area and RCD!

I am being a little presumptuous in that I have only named links courses but you don’t come to Ireland to play parkland ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You go to NI to play links. Royal P, both courses, Portstewart snd Castlerock are all very close. The Bushmills Inn is a nice characterful play to stay. Around RCD, Ardglass is great. Lots of good Donegal courses but Ballyliffin, both courses, is a great choice. I also like Murvagh (Donegal) in the south of the county. If you are down that end, consider Rosses Point too.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
+1 for the Valley at Portrush, one of my favourite courses anywhere. Liked Castlerock too. I wasn't a big fan of Ardglass, spectacular couple of holes at start but otherwise not that impressive - I'd argue that a fair bit of it isn't Links either.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
+1 for the Valley at Portrush, one of my favourite courses anywhere. Liked Castlerock too. I wasn't a big fan of Ardglass, spectacular couple of holes at start but otherwise not that impressive - I'd argue that a fair bit of it isn't Links either.

There isn’t a hell of a lot else good around the RCD trip. Could take the ferry over and go up to Kirkistown, I suppose, or a bit of extra time and head down to Baltray. I think Ardglass works as a change of tone from RCD, a lot less grand but good fun.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
There isn’t a hell of a lot else good around the RCD trip. Could take the ferry over and go up to Kirkistown, I suppose, or a bit of extra time and head down to Baltray. I think Ardglass works as a change of tone from RCD, a lot less grand but good fun.
In that area I'd rather play the wee course Annesley Links at Royal County Down than Arglass again - now that is brilliant fun - Annesley Links on RCD website

I wouldn't discourage someone from playing Ardglass but I don't think I'd go back, I was just a bit underwhelmed once away from the holes near the clubhouse, and I think I expected a bit more linksy. Tom Coyne in his book 'A course called Ireland' raves about it

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally if you are staying on the North Coast I wouldn't bother with the trip to Ardglass unless you were playing RCD. IMO Ardglass is pretty average. Don't get me wrong, its a nice course but its not worth what they ask for it and I wouldn't even describe it as a links course, more of a course beside the sea.

Some good suggestions already, the valley course at portrush is great. Obviously you also have Portstewart and if you have the ££ I would definitely play that. The front 9 is fantastic, one of the best.

Trip to Donegal is also a good shout. So many fantastic courses there.

Castlerock is nice but I would choose to pay a little extra to play Portstewart over it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The 3rd course at Rosapenna is due to open in May next year, this may have been pushed back though due to Covid. If it is open then I would strongly recommend you try to play it as by all accounts it is going to be spectacular. It is about a 2hr drive from Portrush to the Rosapenna area so it is definitely do-able and the Sandy Hills course is one of my favourites. The area is pretty quiet though so if you want nightlife you'd need to drive 30 mins down to Letterkenny. I've got a place over there so if you want any more info drop me a PM.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers for all your replies so far :) looking at your suggestions there are some stunning courses available.

Ardglass looks nice but RCD has no availability in May next year so we going to avoid that area until next time we come :)

What are your opinions of towns to stay as base? Portrush or Coleraine ( unless you can suggest some place else) ? It’s just me and the wife but would like someplace to potter around and get something nice to eat And drink .

cheers again matt

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers for all your replies so far :) looking at your suggestions there are some stunning courses available.

Ardglass looks nice but RCD has no availability in May next year so we going to avoid that area until next time we come :)

What are your opinions of towns to stay as base? Portrush or Coleraine ( unless you can suggest some place else) ? It’s just me and the wife but would like someplace to potter around and get something nice to eat And drink .

cheers again matt

Either one. They are very close. Coleraine feels more like a regular town, Portrush and Portstewart have more of a holiday/touristy feel. If you stay in Portstewart and wander down to the Harbour Bar, you might bump into Darren Clarke or GMac.

The golfing options around RCD are not as good as those on the Antrim coast, but the RCD links is a must play, sell a kidney if you have to, magnificent course of unparalleled awesomeness. It can be a beast which on a windy day will eat all your golf balls and possibly some of your clubs too, or on a rare calm day a sporting links where you can hit some memorable shots. One option is to do a RCD and back trip from Belfast, about an hour or so, easy drive. Do it on your first day or last day and make the rest of the trip North Antrim coast plus/minus Donegal.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad I’m not the only one who was completely underwhelmed by Ardglass as I thought it was just me when you see how many rant and rave about it!

Had also forgotten about the 3rd course opening at Rosapenna next year! This combined with Ballyliffins two courses and the others I mentioned previously make County Donegal a top class golfing destination!

As I mentioned in another thread Royal Portrush is probably my favourite course so definitely play it but then focus your trip on the Donegal courses and stay somewhere in Donegal which makes the courses more accessible with a shortish drive!

If you plan on playing Ballyliffin give me a shout and i will get a game with you or in fact if you coming to Donegal and want any help or advice just give me a PM

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Ardglass has more scenic views but Castlerock the much better layout. Both worth a visit along with Portrush, Portstewart and if you have the finances throw County Down in there too.

Ardglass and County Down are beside each other. Portrush Portstewart and Castlerock are beside each other. If you stayed near Portrush it would take about a 2 hour drive to get over to Ardglass and County Down.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

cheers again matt

Personally I would stay in Portrush, Portstewart or even Portballintrae or Bushmills (whiskey distillery). But these are the other side of coleraine to Donegal but shouldn't add too much time to your journey if you are heading there. There is more going on in Portrush than the others, Coleraine would be a bigger town but imo the vibe wouldn't be as nice.

You can get some very nice airbnbs or there are some nice hotels. Bayview hotel in Portballintrae is nice.

For smaller and cheaper courses you have Ballycastle and Bushfoot (9 holes)

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers everyone for all your help :) I have just booked Portrush and Valley course today . Waiting on few other courses now to get back to me to see what availability they have .

looking forward to it and hopefully there will be no rain come mid may :)

Reactions: Zig

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers everyone for all your help :) I have just booked Portrush and Valley course today . Waiting on few other courses now to get back to me to see what availability they have .

looking forward to it and hopefully there will be no rain come mid may :)

Mid may is usually the Northen Irish summer. Have a great time.