No handicap can I get one over the winter?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Just want to understand the cans and cant's before I got to the club and speak to the Handicap Sec.

Basically I had a 3 year break from golf, so have no valid handicap.

I returned to golf about 3 months ago or so, joined a club and practiced and practiced and then started to get my cards put in.

I got two cards marked by two different people but due to majorly excessive practice on range mats and with only recently returning to golf I fractured my hamate bone before I could get the final card marked (literally only just started practicing again after about 8-9 weeks.

I still have the 2 cards however they are from July/August of this year, is there anyway I can get a final card in so I can obtain a handicap?

The course is still playing full length, intact longer now the fairways are softer and not rolling on forever and ever like during the dry summer we had. I know its no longer 'qualifying' but can there be exceptions OR can I obtain a handicap for the Winter and then start a fresh from next year. for a summer HC?

D

Deleted member 16999

Pity you didn’t submit the card you weren’t happy with, do you still have it?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
There should be no reason why you cannot return a card for an initial handicap at this time. An initial handicap can be allotted at any time.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no restriction re time of year in returning cards. However, the requisite cards should normally be submitted within a period of six months. In the light of CONGU saying "National Unions and their Affiliated Clubs are seeking ‘to grow the game’ ", I would suggest that your case would not present a problem.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There should be no reason why you cannot return a card for an initial handicap at this time. An initial handicap can be allotted at any time.
One of those - there shouldn't be but....

The club will normally have a rule regarding the period within which the 3 cards have to be submitted. If it does, and the third card is likely to fall outside this, I would still in the circumstances, advise the handicap sec of the injury delay (to avoid summarily deleting the existing records) and hope that they are happy with any delay on the 3rd.

The OP will no doubt have advised the club of his previous handicap history as well.

Course conditions are a bit of a red herring - as long as the round is played over a measured course to Q rules it should be acceptable.

Edit - must type faster. Rulefan beat me to it

D

Deleted member 25172

Excuse my thickness on this. I'm just about to become a member for the first time (from November 1st). Does that mean I cannot get an official handicap until a certain point next year?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Excuse my thickness on this. I'm just about to become a member for the first time (from November 1st). Does that mean I cannot get an official handicap until a certain point next year?
Does what mean?

The posts above explain that you need 3 cards over one of your clubs measured courses played by the Q rules - all within any time period set out by that club (typically, and consistent with guidelines, 6 months).
Time of year only comes into it if it in some way impacts on the above.

D

Deleted member 25172

Does what mean?

The posts above explain that you need 3 cards over one of your clubs measured courses played by the Q rules - all within any time period set out by that club (typically, and consistent with guidelines, 6 months).
Time of year only comes into it if it in some way impacts on the above.

As said, thick...

I was wondering as the difference between me and the OP is that he seem to already have been a member and played qualifiers vs me who isn't, and therefore haven't played any comps/qualifiers this year and it seemed the time of year had something to do with it.

Oh well, I guess the club will run through all of this with me next week. :)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As said, thick...

I was wondering as the difference between me and the OP is that he seem to already have been a member and played qualifiers vs me who isn't, and therefore haven't played any comps/qualifiers this year and it seemed the time of year had something to do with it.

Again, there "should" be no reason why you can't submit your 3 cards at this time. You do not have to be playing in a competition. All you need is a marker (your club may have conditions on who can mark your card such as being a holder of a handicap) and to play to the rules of golf.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As said, thick...

Those differences aren't directly relevant, the only relevant one is that he has a reason (the injury) for the potential delay in returning his 3rd card which may end up beyond a time based restriction his club has.

As you say, your club should go through the relevant aspects with you when you start, including (if required) introductions and support in getting your 3 cards signed and returned.

Good luck

D

Deleted member 25172

Those differences aren't directly relevant, the only relevant one is that he has a reason (the injury) for the potential delay in returning his 3rd card which may end up beyond a time based restriction his club has.

As you say, your club should go through the relevant aspects with you when you start, including (if required) introductions and support in getting your 3 cards signed and returned.

Good luck

Ok, I think the penny dropped here now for me. I've contacted the club now anyways and asked about it all so it'll hopefully be settled shortly.

Thanks for the answers.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My question is in relation to the OPs.

I understand there is no 'time limit' to set supplementary scores (unless you are a category 1 player), but are there a certain set of conditions where supplementary scores are not allowed?

Such as temporary greens, or significantly shortened course for instance?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My question is in relation to the OPs.

I understand there is no 'time limit' to set supplementary scores (unless you are a category 1 player), but are there a certain set of conditions where supplementary scores are not allowed?

Such as temporary greens, or significantly shortened course for instance?
Exactly the same as the conditions for qualifying competitions.